We Are Legion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

We Are Legion

The Scarshield Legion Retirement Home

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The Thread for all the Shit we just couldn't let go of!

Go down 
+21
Chassandra
Artein
Archnazg
Avior
Hinun
Leaf
Rifki
Katalmach
Emanee
Huyana
Alaster Grymm
Lyranne
torgadon
Crowley
Opathu
Snicka
Siheld
Vypra
Vexacus
Shadowtroll
Quintilius
25 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 13, 14, 15
AuthorMessage
Crowley

Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2008-08-25

The Thread for all the Shit we just couldn't let go of! - Page 15 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Thread for all the Shit we just couldn't let go of!   The Thread for all the Shit we just couldn't let go of! - Page 15 EmptySat Nov 07, 2009 5:18 pm

Liontooth wrote:
Crowley wrote:
Why do you talk?

Because you are wrong

But tunefully!
Back to top Go down
Shadowtroll

Shadowtroll

Number of posts : 1519
Registration date : 2008-05-28

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for all the Shit we just couldn't let go of!   The Thread for all the Shit we just couldn't let go of! - Page 15 EmptySat Nov 07, 2009 6:32 pm

Keep the tone.
Back to top Go down
http://ahoy-blackhands.darkbb.com/forum.htm
Lyranne

Lyranne

Number of posts : 329
Registration date : 2008-05-27

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for all the Shit we just couldn't let go of!   The Thread for all the Shit we just couldn't let go of! - Page 15 EmptySat Nov 07, 2009 6:36 pm

Random quote from the D&D 3.5 rulebook.

Decide how your character acts, what she
likes, what she wants out of life, what scares
her, and what makes her angry. Race and
alignment are good places to start when
thinking about your character’s personality,
but they are bad places to stop. Make your
lawful good dwarf (or whatever) different
from every other lawful good dwarf.

That's why people don't play stereotypes. Playing a stereotype limits the potential for a unique personality, as is obvious by the very term "stereotype".
Back to top Go down
Lyranne

Lyranne

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for all the Shit we just couldn't let go of!   The Thread for all the Shit we just couldn't let go of! - Page 15 EmptySat Nov 07, 2009 6:58 pm

Liontooth wrote:

Trading cards are not canon lore no and he is NOT a forsaken...How many times do I have to repeat this before people get this in their thick skulls? The different "media" all come together into one lore which the game follows to its best...If you read some of this lore you would understand this.

But the point was made that, as long as everyone is fine with it, you can do what you want...Which judging by your awkward posts you would not agree with. To be honest you really should not be replying if you do not give two shits about what happens with the lore.

My referring to Zeliek as forsaken was a typo. I'd meant undead. Regardless, forsaken in WoW are not accurate representations of the forsaken that people such as Marius are fascinated by. Sure, it'd be nice if they could be like that, but to get -every- forsaken on a server to adjust in such a way? Not possible.

Odd that a few pages later you refer to others as being aggressive, yet resort to comments such as 'thick skulls'.

I also didn't say I didn't care about the lore, but rather I don't give a damn about what people are doing, provided it's not absolutely stupid. My 'awkward' posts are nothing of the sort if you'd actually read them instead of searching for what you deem incendiary comments. I agree that if everyone has the same idea, there's little reason for complaint, but that's -never- going to happen, which is again my point. As Neri said, you have the burning desire to counter peoples onpinions with your own that you proclaim to be 'right' and the 'truth' when most of us have taken a more debating stance, you aggressively come in, using BLOCK capitals along with veiled insults to ones intelligence. But of course, all this for something like WoW lore means it must be VERY FUCKING IMPORTANT.

Here's a suggestion, Lion: Get that stick out of your arse, lighten up, and stop treating WoW as if it's precious. Half its ideas are stolen from countless other fantasy ideas, as well as steampunk, and any other type of genre you care to mention. WoW as it stands has shit lore, shit continuation, and diabolical storytelling. You want to defend that, go ahead and do so. But don't expect those of us with imagination to complacently sit back and go along with whatever crap the lore throws at us. I ground my characters in the lore as much as I can, but I disregard the chaff. None of my characters are lore-breakers, and I myself wouldn't do it, but to keep on coming down so heavily on peope with differing opinions makes you seem so close minded, and I -know- you're not. But hey, you have a DK tauren, and a Tauren that's more than a little willing to fight. You of course adhere to the lore as well as anyone else.

Trading cards aren't canon lore? How come, because -you- say so? If they're not canon lore, what of the comics, the books, and so forth? They all come together to create a mess that you clearly devote far too much time to defending. The lore is broken, and as much as you'd like to wish otherwise, WoW is not going to suddenly gain a strong backbone of lore that you'd find in the Warcraft rulebooks, or even the older strategy games.

To Speatus: Yes, there's a ton of bullshit in here, but then the main culprit is a tauren, so it's apt.

All of those who maintain they have the higher ground really need to ook at how derivitative their characters actually are. Even if they're not a WoW staple, they've all been done to death in every other story. That's why people try to diversify thier characters. Anyone who can still insist that X race needs to be played in Y way should just grow up, and look at any number of races that exist in the real world. I dare you to find any common ground between the individuals apart from the obvious traits.

And to reiterate, I don't give two shits about WoW in general when we get people shouting that others are wrong for not towing the line.
Back to top Go down
Lithaella

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for all the Shit we just couldn't let go of!   The Thread for all the Shit we just couldn't let go of! - Page 15 EmptySat Nov 07, 2009 7:03 pm

By and large, characters we roleplay as in most things are the exceptional characters, the heroes. Unless your stated intent is to play a "default" type character, then you have little cause to follow the defaults of any element of the character closely. Even relatively default characters won't be entirely identical to stereotypes; people are individuals, after all.

People complaining about nobody matching what's on the character creation screen would also do well to remember that the information there is outdated in some cases Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.umbrael.com
Lyranne

Lyranne

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for all the Shit we just couldn't let go of!   The Thread for all the Shit we just couldn't let go of! - Page 15 EmptySat Nov 07, 2009 7:09 pm

Luko wrote:
Snicka wrote:
I agree with Crowley: our characters will care about only the conflicts that directly affect them. Why would an average Westfall peasant care about the epic war against the Lich King? No, he would care about the Defias Brotherhood raiding their farms. On the other hand, a soldier in Northrend would care only about the Lich King, and not give a damn about the Defias Brotherhood.
Also, people can react differently to a conflict, depending on their personality: becaming hateful and vengeful, trying to destroy their enemies - or completely the opposit, having enough of war and conflict, trying to bring peace. Or, a human child could have heard stories how brutal and bloodthirsty orcs are - which could make him completely accept this, or think the opposite, that the orcs are actually good and misunderstood people.
We don't have so many sentient species on Earth as Azeroth does - we have only humans and that's all -, but we do have races and nations who are almost as different in culture and ideals as the species on Azeroth, so I find parallels justified.

why would anyone in the UK or anyother part of the world careabout the war in the middles east, and the young men and women dieing? the care because the guys fighting are doing it for them, and you care about your own

Actually, most people are apathetic to conflicts and wou;d prefer to bury their heads in the sand. Perhaps those with experience of fighting, or else patriotic sorts might feel otherwise, but the vast majority do not.

The only thing I care about is that countless innocent people are being killed in the 'fight against terrorism'. Our benevolent leader, Golden Brown, said that we need to continue in Afghanistan to prevent another terrorist attack on these shores (like July 7th). Now, I'm no expert, but taking into account the innocents killed on that day, and those we've killed in Afghanistan, I start to wonder how we expect more bloodshed to be anything other than a tragic waste of life, and a needless occupation? Reminds me of those wonderful tactics we and America employed to defeat Japan. Dropping a bomb and then another after they surrendered... Accusing them of an unprovoked attack on Pearl Harbour (which the Japanese had threatened to do due to America intefering in China).

War is a tragi-comic joke that fucks with lives, destroys homes, and will never change.
Back to top Go down
Crowley

Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2008-08-25

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for all the Shit we just couldn't let go of!   The Thread for all the Shit we just couldn't let go of! - Page 15 EmptySat Nov 07, 2009 7:22 pm

While I agree with everything you say Sarah, bringing the War On Terror into this just can't end well. Wink
Back to top Go down
Hinun

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2008-12-31

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for all the Shit we just couldn't let go of!   The Thread for all the Shit we just couldn't let go of! - Page 15 EmptySat Nov 07, 2009 7:27 pm

There is a lot of butthurt in this thread.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for all the Shit we just couldn't let go of!   The Thread for all the Shit we just couldn't let go of! - Page 15 EmptySat Nov 07, 2009 8:17 pm

Lyranne wrote:
Liontooth wrote:

Trading cards are not canon lore no and he is NOT a forsaken...How many times do I have to repeat this before people get this in their thick skulls? The different "media" all come together into one lore which the game follows to its best...If you read some of this lore you would understand this.

But the point was made that, as long as everyone is fine with it, you can do what you want...Which judging by your awkward posts you would not agree with. To be honest you really should not be replying if you do not give two shits about what happens with the lore.

My referring to Zeliek as forsaken was a typo. I'd meant undead. Regardless, forsaken in WoW are not accurate representations of the forsaken that people such as Marius are fascinated by. Sure, it'd be nice if they could be like that, but to get -every- forsaken on a server to adjust in such a way? Not possible.

Odd that a few pages later you refer to others as being aggressive, yet resort to comments such as 'thick skulls'.

I also didn't say I didn't care about the lore, but rather I don't give a damn about what people are doing, provided it's not absolutely stupid. My 'awkward' posts are nothing of the sort if you'd actually read them instead of searching for what you deem incendiary comments. I agree that if everyone has the same idea, there's little reason for complaint, but that's -never- going to happen, which is again my point. As Neri said, you have the burning desire to counter peoples onpinions with your own that you proclaim to be 'right' and the 'truth' when most of us have taken a more debating stance, you aggressively come in, using BLOCK capitals along with veiled insults to ones intelligence. But of course, all this for something like WoW lore means it must be VERY FUCKING IMPORTANT.

Here's a suggestion, Lion: Get that stick out of your arse, lighten up, and stop treating WoW as if it's precious. Half its ideas are stolen from countless other fantasy ideas, as well as steampunk, and any other type of genre you care to mention. WoW as it stands has shit lore, shit continuation, and diabolical storytelling. You want to defend that, go ahead and do so. But don't expect those of us with imagination to complacently sit back and go along with whatever crap the lore throws at us. I ground my characters in the lore as much as I can, but I disregard the chaff. None of my characters are lore-breakers, and I myself wouldn't do it, but to keep on coming down so heavily on peope with differing opinions makes you seem so close minded, and I -know- you're not. But hey, you have a DK tauren, and a Tauren that's more than a little willing to fight. You of course adhere to the lore as well as anyone else.

Trading cards aren't canon lore? How come, because -you- say so? If they're not canon lore, what of the comics, the books, and so forth? They all come together to create a mess that you clearly devote far too much time to defending. The lore is broken, and as much as you'd like to wish otherwise, WoW is not going to suddenly gain a strong backbone of lore that you'd find in the Warcraft rulebooks, or even the older strategy games.

To Speatus: Yes, there's a ton of bullshit in here, but then the main culprit is a tauren, so it's apt.

All of those who maintain they have the higher ground really need to ook at how derivitative their characters actually are. Even if they're not a WoW staple, they've all been done to death in every other story. That's why people try to diversify thier characters. Anyone who can still insist that X race needs to be played in Y way should just grow up, and look at any number of races that exist in the real world. I dare you to find any common ground between the individuals apart from the obvious traits.

And to reiterate, I don't give two shits about WoW in general when we get people shouting that others are wrong for not towing the line.

Know what Lyranne? Rather than take apart your butthurt and slam it bit by bit?

,,|,,

Enjoy
Back to top Go down
Shadowtroll

Shadowtroll

Number of posts : 1519
Registration date : 2008-05-28

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for all the Shit we just couldn't let go of!   The Thread for all the Shit we just couldn't let go of! - Page 15 EmptySat Nov 07, 2009 8:25 pm

Random Carp:

Trolling allowed.

Spamming allowed.

Off topic allowed.

Pointless comments/threads allowed.

Flaming - error.

Locked.
Back to top Go down
http://ahoy-blackhands.darkbb.com/forum.htm
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for all the Shit we just couldn't let go of!   The Thread for all the Shit we just couldn't let go of! - Page 15 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Thread for all the Shit we just couldn't let go of!
Page 15 of 15Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 13, 14, 15