We Are Legion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

We Are Legion

The Scarshield Legion Retirement Home

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Blizzcon Discussion Thread

Go down 
+10
Tavecy
Opathu
Mindrathu
Avior
munechi
Shadowtroll
Siheld
Vexacus
Quintilius
Manovan Marrowsteel
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
AuthorMessage

Blizzcon Discussion Thread - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blizzcon Discussion Thread   Blizzcon Discussion Thread - Page 5 EmptyMon Aug 31, 2009 7:27 pm

Lyranne wrote:
Gurfang wrote:
And this is where people seem to want to limit their rp. It's like saying that all DK's have to be from the Ebon Blade, which IMO is very restrictive and a bit silly. Sure, the majority will say that, but surely there are possibilities for more than just that. Likewise with the Worgen, just because you've had to do the quests to get the character out into the rest of the world, it doesn't mean that you have to RP a character that way after you've done it.

I don't think it's people limiting their RP when the only mentioned monolith that was freed is the Ebon Hold. There're no others mentioned, and nor do we get a choice on where to start our Death Knights. Sure you can avoid saying you're from there, but it's pretty hard to say you're from somewhere else, when the game seems to not want to give you that option (and if there is a list of liberated srtrongholds, please someone type it up so we have a rough idea).

Also, depending on how immersed you are with your character, quests can shape them. For example, after doing the succubus questline for my warlock, I had what last vestige of innocence may have remained die away. The same is true of the DK quests. After the one where you kill an old friend, I realised that emotionally, I couldn't play a character immune to those effects. Your own personality is more limiting than the retraints placed upon you by game mechanics.

By that definition, my character in both incarnations cannot exist.

End of the day, it all depends on what effect you let your quests have on your RP and also what you might do to your character once they reach 80. If, for example, you give it a sex change or a faction change then you can start the RP from scratch as a brand new character. Why not also allow this to be the case at any other point in the character's progression?
Back to top Go down
Lyranne

Lyranne

Number of posts : 329
Registration date : 2008-05-27

PostSubject: Re: Blizzcon Discussion Thread   Blizzcon Discussion Thread - Page 5 EmptyTue Sep 01, 2009 10:54 am

Even after recreating a character, it'd still be assumed that they've done something to reach Northrend or wherever. The question would still remain of where x DK/generic race came from, and you'd need a decent backstory to make it believable they're not from the same place as every other. As I say though, this is Blizzard not giving us alternatives, more than it is anything else.

I don't know what part of that directly involves your characters, but I'm not saying that if your character is a sociopathic serial killer that you are, rather that if you're playing one, then you clearly don't have problems with doing so.

As I said with my example, I don't personally feel that a character performing an evil task can be good, and with regards to the succubus quest, it is impossible to RP a way to have one that involves you being good. Even rerolling her as another race won't change the fact that all warlocks have to sacrifice innocent souls to gain the power of a succubi. I'm not saying that ICly you even have to have one, just that going about with one in tow implies an awful lot about a character.

Leseya is RPed as a warlock. She may be seen in SMC with her demon, but only because there's a precedent in place with regards to such tolerance (in Murder Row, there's a male warlock and his succubi).
Of course she doesn't parade about with her demons, though she is clearly quite vicious and cruel. This was shaped by the quests.
I was intending on RPing her descending into darkness as she ventured in the world, but because of how soon you perform an act of evil, that plan changed.
I'm not saying you have to play your warlock, warrior, et cetera a fixed way, as they could easily be something else IC. I simply feel that you can't call it silly for all DK's to claim they're from the same point when anything else would require you making stuff up that other might raise eyebrows to, just as it would walking about with a demon, and being lovely with people. To reiterate, if Bizzard gave us options, or even implied other liberations this really would be a moot point.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Blizzcon Discussion Thread   Blizzcon Discussion Thread - Page 5 EmptyTue Sep 01, 2009 5:15 pm

As regards Gurfang, his backstory has him as a Warsong Orc who was not totally cured of his demon blood control, which is not something that fits with the official lore of stuff that happened. However I am happy with the story that led to Gurfang being the lunatic he is.

As to how to play a Worgen DK, I'd play it as I've said already. He'd either have been captured by Scourge agents from Gilneas or he'd have been under the curse of Arugal and then made a DK. Either option works as it is possible to be freed of curses and still keep the affect of the curse (see the fact that DK's stay as DK's when they are freed).
Because the DK starter zone is phased over a period of time it could be perfectly acceptable to have them come through that. The other option is that they are freed by some other way. The first option works fine, though clashes with the fact that for the whole of WotLK there have been no Worgen DKs. The second option covers the lack of any Worgen DKs so far, but leaves most people being unable to accept another option of how a DK was freed from Scourge control. Personally, I'd say that it's fine to RP another way. However it would have to be a very long story with a lot of progression through various trials. Of course, the other option is that people RP evil DK's with them.
Back to top Go down
Lyranne

Lyranne

Number of posts : 329
Registration date : 2008-05-27

PostSubject: Re: Blizzcon Discussion Thread   Blizzcon Discussion Thread - Page 5 EmptyWed Sep 02, 2009 1:54 pm

Hmm, perhaps I'd best clarify my point about the curses:

As a denizen of Gilnea, you're cursed to be a worgen. To be linked with Aragul, you're to be cursed as a worgen, and to be under his thrall. To be a DK you're cursed with undead and to be under the thrall of the Lich King. You re freed of the Lich King's domination, but even becoming an undead does not cure the worgen curse. Now, I'm not much for pushing other lore into a game (it'd be pretty silly to do so) but how does an animalistic curse not get removed/replaced by an unholy one?
One would think that becoming an undead would prevent such metamorphasis, simply because the regenerative abilities needed to not have your body torn to ribbons would need you to be very much alive and with a working heart/circulitary system. Perhaps I'm overthinking it, but it just doesn't seem very logical for an undead to have this ability - not with how they're portrayed in the games. And let us not forget the lore doesn't support the only undead with any need for real blood: Vampires. Now, if there was a precedent that unholy/undead beings could use the blood of other to regenerate, then perhaps the idea of an undead worgen will seem less surreal (in my opinion, which I know is not shared by all).

Meh, I am overthinking -.-'
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Blizzcon Discussion Thread   Blizzcon Discussion Thread - Page 5 EmptyWed Sep 02, 2009 4:17 pm

I look on it as curse and effect (pun intended). The curse puts you under the control of another (like Arugal or Arthas) but the effect also changes your form. So if you are cursed and turned into a Worgen, being free of the curse doesn't guarantee a reversal of the effect. The DK story shows as much.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Blizzcon Discussion Thread   Blizzcon Discussion Thread - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

Blizzcon Discussion Thread
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5