We Are Legion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

We Are Legion

The Scarshield Legion Retirement Home

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Flash News! Huge Explosion destroys Arena!

Go down 
+8
Vexacus
Archnazg
Shadowtroll
Quintilius
Avior
Snicka
Opathu
Seidra
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage

Flash News! Huge Explosion destroys Arena! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flash News! Huge Explosion destroys Arena!   Flash News! Huge Explosion destroys Arena! - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 12, 2009 11:37 pm

I think the point is not so much being IC in /s as NOT being OOC in /s. When I started in this realm I had no idea about the RP rules so probably did break them but since knowing about them I have only ever been OOC in /s when I've forgotten to type "/6" or whatever for the appropriate channel. It's not hard to do at all, so saying "It doesn't matter if I OOC every once in a while in /s because I'm IC most of the time" is like saying (and yes I know this is an extreme example, but the logic and principle holds true) "It doesn't matter if I murder 1 person every February 29th because I don't do it any other time". The fact is that you are OOCing and that is not a good example to set and something that no RPer should ever think is ok to defend.
Back to top Go down
Avior

Avior

Number of posts : 275
Registration date : 2009-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Flash News! Huge Explosion destroys Arena!   Flash News! Huge Explosion destroys Arena! - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 13, 2009 1:00 am

You can either be IC or OOC in /s,there isn't any other options.Well,unless you're not saying anything at all.
And murdering people has nothing to do with it,cause you don't break any server policies by being OOC.

Anyway,do whatever you want.I believe you get my point now,and i still don't get yours cause someone has yet to explain why is /s so special that it needs specific rules.Instead of defending the old tradition you'd better try to act ICly in,let's say,Trade.Now that could be some new RP experience.

On a sidenote: i don't usually OOC in /s either,but it's just because i don't use it much in general.Still,i see nothing shameful in using it in any way that best suits the situation.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Flash News! Huge Explosion destroys Arena!   Flash News! Huge Explosion destroys Arena! - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 13, 2009 1:30 am

Avior wrote:
You can either be IC or OOC in /s,there isn't any other options.Well,unless you're not saying anything at all.
And murdering people has nothing to do with it,cause you don't break any server policies by being OOC.

Anyway,do whatever you want.I believe you get my point now,and i still don't get yours cause someone has yet to explain why is /s so special that it needs specific rules.Instead of defending the old tradition you'd better try to act ICly in,let's say,Trade.Now that could be some new RP experience.

On a sidenote: i don't usually OOC in /s either,but it's just because i don't use it much in general.Still,i see nothing shameful in using it in any way that best suits the situation.

No offence, but do you actually know what you are talking about?

First off, the bolded section shows how you can be NOT OOC without being specifically IC, i.e. you break IC by being OOC, you DON'T break IC by not saying anything.

Secondly, you clearly haven't read here.

To quote specifically:
"Absolutely no out of character (OOC) or Non-Fantasy related dialogue should take place in the /Say, /Yell, or Party Chat Channels"

Now, it is a generally accepted rule that Party Chat is not truly counted (though Blizz still take it as the party line) but /s and /y are clearly mentioned in the server policies. And as to the murder aspect, I did actually say that it's the principle of the thing (i.e. a murderer is still a murderer even if they only do it once every 4 years, thus OOC is still OOC, regardless of how little you do it) that remains the same.

So yeah, /s is special because Blizz say so and the reason is that it is considered to be the same as though you were talking to someone. If you were the character you are playing you wouldn't speak about OOC stuff, so why type it? Seriously, know what you are talking about before spouting this drivel!
Back to top Go down
Avior

Avior

PostSubject: Re: Flash News! Huge Explosion destroys Arena!   Flash News! Huge Explosion destroys Arena! - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 13, 2009 1:48 am

Quote :
Seriously, know what you are talking about before spouting this drivel!
Whoa,now i might feel offended.
Alright,my bad with missing the /s policy part (and yeah,your example now makes much more sense). But why not as well quote the whole thing?

Quote :
Role Play-Specific Verbal/Physical Harassment
This category includes:
Players that specifically target Role Players for verbal/physical abuse (not limited to offensive language)
Check.
Quote :
Out of Character (OOC) Discussion and Use of General Chat
Detailed below is the language policy enforced on the Role Play realms. Use of the /ignore command is also highly encouraged.
The General Chat Channel should only be used for finding Story Lines (SLs), finding Party Groups and various other discussions pertaining to Base Story Line (BSL), game-related topics, and continuity
Check.
Quote :
The General Chat Channel should NOT be used for any “Off-topic,” Non-Story Line or non game-related discussion
Check.
Quote :
Absolutely no out of character (OOC) or Non-Fantasy related dialogue should take place in the /Say, /Yell, or Party Chat Channels
You said it yourself.
Quote :
Non-Medieval/Fantasy Character Names
This category includes:
Any Non-Medieval or Non-Fantasy names (i.e. Microwave, Nuclearotron, Softwareman)
Guess what? Check.

That leaves us with
Quote :
Guild Chat will not be policed for any fantasy related violations

GL on your Report Crusade. No,really,you're gonna need it.

Looks like /s is not so special after all.
Talking OOCly being against the rules is the only valid point you made tbh.But i'll consider it. Razz
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Flash News! Huge Explosion destroys Arena!   Flash News! Huge Explosion destroys Arena! - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 13, 2009 2:05 am

YOU JUST DON'T GET IT!!!

And yes, I am now tired and getting very fekked off with someone who clearly doesn't give a damn about the rules unless they suit what he wants.

The rules are there to be abided by. Just because someone else doesn't follow them doesn't mean that it gives you the right to go and do the same! The whole point for an RP realm is that you abide by the rules and then the odd person that doesn't gets reported and they either conform or get kicked from the realm. However, many people just don't give a damn about policing and reporting and thus more and more OOCing gets accepted and then we get to the shit that HoS experienced and much worse. Hell, it even means we get people who act like Xari!

Like it or not, as soon as you start not caring about being OOC in channels where you know you should be (and let's face it, Seidra knew) you become a part of the problem. Remove yourself from the problem and it starts to set an example for others. It's THAT simple!

Now you've quoted the whole thing (hmm, wonder why I put the link there!) and I agree to the whole thing. I expect to either be picked up by others or reported if I break them and I am more than happy to abide by any punishment because I respect the rules. Can you say the same? Or would you rather respond to a question like this by say "Yeah but what about them?" It doesn't matter what others do, you can't control what they do. You CAN control what you do, so do it and do what you can to inform those that can control the situation of what's going on.

Finally, /s IS as special as people have said in this thread in that you should not talking OOC in it (as per the rules). Quit chatting crap and try just sticking to abiding to the rules, it's not too hard I hope!

(I apologise if anyone takes my comments personally, tiredness brings out anger. However I am totally against the stupidity of the argument being made here and don't care if people are offended by me saying that it's a FUCKING STUPID ARGUMENT! It will hopefully teach them that they've picked the wrong argument!)
Back to top Go down
Avior

Avior

PostSubject: Re: Flash News! Huge Explosion destroys Arena!   Flash News! Huge Explosion destroys Arena! - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 13, 2009 2:15 am

Well,the argument indeed seems to be over,as my point doesn't seem so valid anymore.Can't say you're wrong after taking a look at the policies after all Very Happy
But you should take it easier,really.No gnomes harmed (sadly),even after someone talking OOCly in /s Wink
Back to top Go down
Seidra

Seidra

Number of posts : 138
Registration date : 2008-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Flash News! Huge Explosion destroys Arena!   Flash News! Huge Explosion destroys Arena! - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 13, 2009 2:44 am

aaah this all is /yawn

Seriously.. I think its needless to dream and say "one day SSL will be an RP heaven no one will ever ooc! There will be no ERP no PrP!!!"

Doest it get on your nerves that much when someone casuall walks by and says "lol look at this". I personally ignore this and even the fact that im right now discussing about this is so stupid...

In a big city its normal that people will OOC.. I would understand it if I would now walk in the keel and say "lol ur new set is awesome m8" but come on! In dalaran or in another major city it is normal it is tolerable..For some people this might not make any sense but I will give an example..

There was that one time we had a raid in Ahn Qiraj. It was a pug. When I got teleported I looked around and joined the OOC talk there. My character had nothing to lose in Ahn Qiraj nor would he ever join a group of adventurers to kill a god. But it was than that I saw Archnazg and some else from the HoS. They were RPing there. It was clear that they were RPing because they had to RP.. Because it was an RP server Exclamation As long as no one interferes with them they can RP the whole friggin day... But it doesnt mean that others RPers will to this. I wont RP because the rules say so.. I will RP when I want to RP. There are enough rules in RL i wont think so much about rules in a fucking MMORPG..

so cheers I hope u guys get what I mean..Now I should go study study

[quote="Avior"]
Quote :
Sei is totally wrong here.Noone should be thankful to you for RPing,ever.You like it and do it for yourself,not for others.

*sigh* Avior seriously read again what I previously wrote obviously you have misunderstood it.. I cant see such a thing in my statement..
Back to top Go down
Vexacus

Vexacus

Number of posts : 881
Registration date : 2008-05-27

PostSubject: Re: Flash News! Huge Explosion destroys Arena!   Flash News! Huge Explosion destroys Arena! - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 13, 2009 6:52 am

Seidra wrote:
aaah this all is /yawn

k

Seidra wrote:
Doest it get on your nerves that much when someone casuall walks by and says "lol look at this". I personally ignore this and even the fact that im right now discussing about this is so stupid...

I also tend to just ignore, but as I said before for someone I thought was an RPer I would not expect that kind of behaviour.

Seidra wrote:
In a big city its normal that people will OOC.. I would understand it if I would now walk in the keel and say "lol ur new set is awesome m8" but come on! In dalaran or in another major city it is normal it is tolerable..

That is indeed NOT how it was supposed to be. By joining in you are just validating the idea that it is indeed acceptable.
The situation occurs because RPers are in the minority.
It was never the intention, and it is only because Blizzard CBA to enforce their own policies that it is like it is.

For me, staying IC in /s or /y is pretty much one of the defining features of a roleplayer.
I'm not going to cry over how you decide you want to go around talking in say.
But, I will tell you straight up it will affect how people percieve you, as has already been demonstrated in this thread.

Over and out.
Back to top Go down
Vypra
Admin
Vypra

Number of posts : 2810
Registration date : 2008-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Flash News! Huge Explosion destroys Arena!   Flash News! Huge Explosion destroys Arena! - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 13, 2009 7:45 am

So, just because 'everybody' is OOC in /s in cities, that makes it ok?

well, as Vex says, do what you like, but personally, i think it sets a really bad example for known rp-ers to do it.

Its the one thing that always makes me /sigh internally everytime i see it.
Back to top Go down
https://wearelegion.forumakers.com
Feronius

Feronius

Number of posts : 281
Registration date : 2008-06-05

PostSubject: Re: Flash News! Huge Explosion destroys Arena!   Flash News! Huge Explosion destroys Arena! - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 13, 2009 11:06 am

You make it sound like people are forced to RP the whole day, like you HAVE to type stuff in say..
Could just shut up aswell if you cba to stick to the no OOC in /yell or /s, ESPECIALLY in capital cities. Some of them are THE areas with a hell of a lot of RP going on around em. Or use brackets.. then it's tolerated or at least shows that you're not another careface possibly ruining others fun.

I can somewhat understand OOC in raids in /say.. but that's kind of even dumber since you have a raidchannel to type in? But yeah.. it's your instance and unless you're in a group / PUG with RPers, fuck cares about what goes on.

OOCer in /say and /yell, especially in capital cities, is a prime example of not just a "not RPer" but just someone without respect.
Unless you'd find it normal to run across a stage in a theathre to and yell funny sentences while doing a dance completly irrelevant to the play Razz
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Flash News! Huge Explosion destroys Arena!   Flash News! Huge Explosion destroys Arena! - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 13, 2009 2:18 pm

Right, not so angry now but still very disappointed at your opinion on OOC, Seidra.

As Vex said, you are an RPer. What's more, you have put yourself into the SSL arena as one by posting RP threads and creating RP events. This means that when many other players see you they are viewing you as an RPer. That means that, like it or not, you are representing the RP community to many people.

Now some people may say "It's ok to OOC and be seen as an RPer, it means that RPers are seen as being cool and accepting to all" but actually what more people will see is "Well they're an RPer and they are being OOC, so it's clearly ok" which, as has been shown from one of my rant posts, is clearly not ok according to the RP realm rules.

What's more, those that don't read the forum and who haven't seen your events happening will think that you are just a part of the general OOCness happening and take it to be a generally accepted way of behaving, thus reinforcing the idea that OOC is ok.

Finally, this sort of behaviour will reinforce others behaviour so that it spills out across the server until you will have no place free of it. Yes it will take time to do that, but by reinforcing OOC behaviour you are pushing the server further down that road.
Back to top Go down
Seidra

Seidra

PostSubject: Re: Flash News! Huge Explosion destroys Arena!   Flash News! Huge Explosion destroys Arena! - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 13, 2009 2:30 pm

Okay I get what you guys mean but still I dont plan a change in my behaviour.. You may not like it but thats how I will be rollin.. Personally I blame Blizz for not reinforcing their rules..

It is like you have the police in RL but when they see someone else raping a girl they just walk by..

If they had been holdin to their rules and would be punishing OOCers I would also hang to the rules out of fear.. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Flash News! Huge Explosion destroys Arena!   Flash News! Huge Explosion destroys Arena! - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 13, 2009 2:34 pm

Seidra wrote:
If they had been holdin to their rules and would be punishing OOCers I would also hang to the rules out of fear

Surely that's not the point. I mean, if you want to be OOC in /s there are realms specifically for that purpose. And it's not like those realms stop you from RPing either, they just aren't specifically aimed at it.

Surely the point of choosing to be somewhere is that you are choosing to abide by the rules of the place rather than going there and then acting how you want.
Back to top Go down
Quintilius

Quintilius

Number of posts : 735
Registration date : 2008-07-08

PostSubject: Re: Flash News! Huge Explosion destroys Arena!   Flash News! Huge Explosion destroys Arena! - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 13, 2009 2:45 pm

Blizz specifically state that they do not have the resources to police the RP realms themselves and thus it is asked of the RP comunity to do this and report all kinds of such behaviour.

However, due to some changes in game master policy it becomes alot of estra work for the poor bloke sitting behind the GM computer to issue punishments to people and extra work means longer hours seeing as they have to get through their ticket quota each day so the main problem is to get the GM's to be arsed to not give the simple and quick macro response to all reports.

Anyways, my point being, it's blizz's intention, and allways was, to have us rp'ers uphold the RP policies. So by saying that they don't police it and thus so wont I is a cheap cop out.

On the other hand, I can understand where you come from. I have dropped the notion long ago that we RP'ers may one day be the majority of the server and I can't be arsed trying to combat OOCism, cause it's a lost cause. Hell, even I go ooc at times, but I do try to avoid going ooc around other RP'ers as I see this, as an RP'ermyself, to be disrespecting the other rp'ers. I go OOC too, but never when there's IC shit nearby.
Back to top Go down
Seidra

Seidra

PostSubject: Re: Flash News! Huge Explosion destroys Arena!   Flash News! Huge Explosion destroys Arena! - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 13, 2009 2:52 pm

Quintilius wrote:
On the other hand, I can understand where you come from. I have dropped the notion long ago that we RP'ers may one day be the majority of the server and I can't be arsed trying to combat OOCism, cause it's a lost cause. Hell, even I go ooc at times, but I do try to avoid going ooc around other RP'ers as I see this, as an RP'ermyself, to be disrespecting the other rp'ers. I go OOC too, but never when there's IC shit nearby.

this Exclamation
Back to top Go down
Vexacus

Vexacus

PostSubject: Re: Flash News! Huge Explosion destroys Arena!   Flash News! Huge Explosion destroys Arena! - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 13, 2009 2:54 pm

Quintilius wrote:

Not you too...
Sad

Last edited by Vexacus on Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Shadowtroll

Shadowtroll

Number of posts : 1519
Registration date : 2008-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Flash News! Huge Explosion destroys Arena!   Flash News! Huge Explosion destroys Arena! - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 13, 2009 2:56 pm

Seidra you should also keep in mind that people could report you for OOC sometimes, I do it myself for example after a small warning to respect the server rules and followed by a fuck off reply from them.

As Fero said, if you want OOC there are far more chats to use for that.
Back to top Go down
http://ahoy-blackhands.darkbb.com/forum.htm
Archnazg

Archnazg

Number of posts : 187
Registration date : 2008-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Flash News! Huge Explosion destroys Arena!   Flash News! Huge Explosion destroys Arena! - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 13, 2009 3:01 pm

What gurf and vex said pretty much sums up what I would try and tell Seidra and that Avvior guy. Quite a shame to see someone who claims to be a RPer have such a piss-take policy about their OOCing. Won't be catching many RPing with someone such lack of respect for the rules and general RP etiquette.
Back to top Go down
Quintilius

Quintilius

PostSubject: Re: Flash News! Huge Explosion destroys Arena!   Flash News! Huge Explosion destroys Arena! - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 13, 2009 3:03 pm

Vexacus wrote:
Quintilius wrote:

Not you too...
Sad

Now when I say I goo ooc it doesn't mean I go *bounce bounce* "LOL LOL" but it means that if I hang out in some city and some ooc'er dude starts talking to me ooc in /s and I am not there with some rp'ers or any circumstance that demands me being IC then I'll answer him in /s OOC. Methinks that enforcing the rules is all well and good to a certain point, but to abolish all ooc? C'mon, that's counter productive and silly.

Though one rule I have is that I never go OOC while Quint is IC and that incudes bracket talk. Bracket talk to me is the epitome of hypocracy.

"((LOL I came on my chin))" is just as OOC and rule breaking as "LOL I came on my chin" in /s.

EDIT: Oh, and nice one deleting my horrible derailing post so damn quick. Good job Very Happy

Last edited by Quintilius on Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Vexacus

Vexacus

PostSubject: Re: Flash News! Huge Explosion destroys Arena!   Flash News! Huge Explosion destroys Arena! - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 13, 2009 3:05 pm

Quint, you removed your post about giving Angelina Jolie anal pleasure. Why? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Quintilius

Quintilius

PostSubject: Re: Flash News! Huge Explosion destroys Arena!   Flash News! Huge Explosion destroys Arena! - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 13, 2009 3:06 pm

Vexacus wrote:
Quint, you removed your post about giving Angelina Jolie anal pleasure. Why? Very Happy

Wasn't me. I suspect fine mod work? Razz
Back to top Go down
Shadowtroll

Shadowtroll

Number of posts : 1519
Registration date : 2008-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Flash News! Huge Explosion destroys Arena!   Flash News! Huge Explosion destroys Arena! - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 13, 2009 3:10 pm

Sorry Quint no offense or anything but it was pretty sick and even as I believe myself kids have heard/seen worse I was kinda aahm...no way!
Back to top Go down
http://ahoy-blackhands.darkbb.com/forum.htm
Quintilius

Quintilius

PostSubject: Re: Flash News! Huge Explosion destroys Arena!   Flash News! Huge Explosion destroys Arena! - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 13, 2009 3:11 pm

Shadowtroll wrote:
Sorry Quint no offense or anything but it was pretty sick and even as I believe myself kids have heard/seen worse I was kinda aahm...no way!

It wasn't sick, but it was off-topic, so deletion accepted.

But it's true though.

EDIT: I just have my own ways of going anal in discussions I guess.
Back to top Go down
Seidra

Seidra

PostSubject: Re: Flash News! Huge Explosion destroys Arena!   Flash News! Huge Explosion destroys Arena! - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 13, 2009 3:15 pm

Shadowtroll wrote:
Seidra you should also keep in mind that people could report you for OOC sometimes, I do it myself for example after a small warning to respect the server rules and followed by a fuck off reply from them.

As Fero said, if you want OOC there are far more chats to use for that.

Ah right now people are talking like I have been running around the whole place OOCing.. Seriously how many times have you seen me OOC? I would say 4 or 5 times.. There is no use to talk as If I am a complete OOCer we all know that I am not. But as quint said...well just read his post I agree with him..

Archnazg wrote:
Won't be catching many RPing with someone such lack of respect for the rules and general RP etiquette.

Oh so I can RP like a god but if I OOC once a while you wont get in contact with me huh? Well when they call people like you "elitist" your kinda goes around whining "what is elitist about us?"

It is simply faschist to say "I wont RP with that guy because he OOCs sometimes"
Back to top Go down
Archnazg

Archnazg

Number of posts : 187
Registration date : 2008-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Flash News! Huge Explosion destroys Arena!   Flash News! Huge Explosion destroys Arena! - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 13, 2009 3:19 pm

By the sound of your replies it's like you couldn't give a jot for the RP rules, etc. Call me elitist but I can't be arsed with folk who display their views and actions with OOC like that on the roleplayers of SSL forums.

Imagine.. One day we're in some good, serious RP. All goes well. Then the next day I ride through Dalaran to see you

"LOLOLLOLOL" in the Wintergrasp queue.

Get my point?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Flash News! Huge Explosion destroys Arena!   Flash News! Huge Explosion destroys Arena! - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Flash News! Huge Explosion destroys Arena!
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next