We Are Legion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

We Are Legion

The Scarshield Legion Retirement Home

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

"Heavy RP"

Go down 
+2
Kadris
Quintilius
6 posters
AuthorMessage

"Heavy RP" Empty
PostSubject: "Heavy RP"   "Heavy RP" EmptyMon Feb 16, 2009 5:59 pm

Just wondering, could the above term actually be a hindrance to having less experienced RPers joining?
I just wonder whether it is with terminology like this that we can sometimes create barriers for others to get through before they can join without realising it.

Just to say that this isn't a criticism of anyone or any guild, just a thought that we might want to look to "more inclusive" (oh how I hate that phrase, even if it is accurate in this instance!) language that doesn't make people think that they have to be particularly skilled to join in.
Back to top Go down
Quintilius

Quintilius

Number of posts : 735
Registration date : 2008-07-08

"Heavy RP" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Heavy RP"   "Heavy RP" EmptyMon Feb 16, 2009 6:08 pm

What if they want only particulary skilled people to join?
Back to top Go down

"Heavy RP" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Heavy RP"   "Heavy RP" EmptyMon Feb 16, 2009 6:28 pm

Well, in that instance it's accurate. But I've seen so many guilds who have labelled themselves as "heavy RP" and then seen comments about either not getting the numbers in or being thought of as elitist and I just wondered, does the RP community need to learn how to communicate with the outside world to encourage them in?
After all, I'm sure that many of the guilds under the banner of Wearelegion would classify themselves as non-elitist and happy to have newcomers join. But I am also sure that some people just get turned off when they see "heavy RP" when used as a label.
Back to top Go down
Kadris

Kadris

Number of posts : 126
Registration date : 2008-06-27

"Heavy RP" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Heavy RP"   "Heavy RP" EmptyMon Feb 16, 2009 7:13 pm

You don't have to join a guild to start rping (though I'm not saying it doesn't help). So, personally I don't think so. I knew nothing about HoS or any of the guilds when I joined SSL and opted to rp with people before I joined any particular guild.

HoS invited me to join after a bit and after some deliberation, I took them up on the offer.

I'm all for encouraging new rpers, but depending on guild membership to get rp is a bit foolish. If I see people interested in rp I'll help them out with whispered advice.

A guild being labelled 'RP heavy' to my mind, should make no odds.

It's about the individuals, or at least should be. If ALL rpers help out potential or new rpers, it doesn't boil down to individual guilds or labels.
Back to top Go down

"Heavy RP" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Heavy RP"   "Heavy RP" EmptyMon Feb 16, 2009 7:26 pm

Kadris wrote:
You don't have to join a guild to start rping (though I'm not saying it doesn't help). So, personally I don't think so. I knew nothing about HoS or any of the guilds when I joined SSL and opted to rp with people before I joined any particular guild.

HoS invited me to join after a bit and after some deliberation, I took them up on the offer.

I'm all for encouraging new rpers, but depending on guild membership to get rp is a bit foolish. If I see people interested in rp I'll help them out with whispered advice.

A guild being labelled 'RP heavy' to my mind, should make no odds.

It's about the individuals, or at least should be. If ALL rpers help out potential or new rpers, it doesn't boil down to individual guilds or labels.

I agree totally about not needing a guild to RP, but what about those who learn a bit about RP in a non-RP realm and decide to try it out. They look at the forum descriptions of what guilds are about and they see "heavy RP". If I were them I'd avoid them either for elitism fears or for feeling that I was inadequate.
Back to top Go down
Kadris

Kadris

Number of posts : 126
Registration date : 2008-06-27

"Heavy RP" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Heavy RP"   "Heavy RP" EmptyMon Feb 16, 2009 7:39 pm

Aye, I suppose you've got a point there... but if a guild is rp heavy... then they just are. As long as the OOC face is open and friendly, surely that's enough to overcome any intimidation?

If new rpers are encouraged to introduce themselves on forums and ask questions (without the disruptive interference by trolls, or sarcastic useless remarks, I MUST add) it would be better.
Back to top Go down
Lyranne

Lyranne

Number of posts : 329
Registration date : 2008-05-27

"Heavy RP" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Heavy RP"   "Heavy RP" EmptyTue Feb 17, 2009 11:29 am

I always read 'RP heavy' or 'Heavy RP' as meaning: A) that the Guild/player is actively RP for most of their gametime, and thus would expect the same of any individual joining, or B) that the RP the Guild/player is involved in is not people sitting around chatting about the weather, but rather aiming to get things done. For example, I'd call what Lyranne, Quin and Kadris do as heavy RP. Not least because it revolves around the corruption of an innocent so to speak, and as such, would not be suited to all people. Admittedly, it needs to be concluded, but you get my point. Light RP is more the kind of thing that often happens around the Thunder Bluff pond. That -used- to involve an awful lot of GWT members, who've been conspicuous by their absence of late. But maybe that's my own (mistaken) way of looking at it. I don't feel either should put people off because of such labels, but rather players should see them as a guide to what they actually wish for in their RP.
Back to top Go down
Zanick

Zanick

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2008-06-05

"Heavy RP" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Heavy RP"   "Heavy RP" EmptyTue Feb 17, 2009 2:01 pm

I can understand anyone being wary of 'Heavy RP'. I would think twice about taking part in some RP that was described like that (and I roleplay in-character 100% of my time on-line).

But, I'm curious. Where do novice RPers or those that are RP-curious encounter the term 'Heavy RP'? I've just checked the descriptions of most of the active Horde RP guilds here on this forum and none of them refer to Heavy RP. And I can't recall ever seeing any of the regular Horde RPers use the term in posts or in-game chat.
Back to top Go down
Emanee

Emanee

Number of posts : 507
Registration date : 2008-06-23

"Heavy RP" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Heavy RP"   "Heavy RP" EmptyTue Feb 17, 2009 2:05 pm

I'm scared of heavy RP, sounds to me like something that would fall on my head and squish me.

Seriously I'd never avoid a guild on the basis of heavy RP if it was something I wanted to be a part of, problem I've had is when I was RP-server tastic I wanted to do a good mix of things, so heavy RP was mostly out of my league, and there were no guilds that really appealed.
Back to top Go down

"Heavy RP" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Heavy RP"   "Heavy RP" EmptyThu Feb 19, 2009 5:51 pm

I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with "heavy RP" or that I misunderstand it, but I'm wondering if it has become jargon which non-RPers shy away from because it sounds a bit scary.
Back to top Go down
Opathu

Opathu

Number of posts : 1047
Registration date : 2008-06-17

"Heavy RP" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Heavy RP"   "Heavy RP" EmptyFri Feb 20, 2009 9:59 am

Heavy RP =/= Heavy Petting Suspect
Back to top Go down
http://www.nickryan.net
Sponsored content

"Heavy RP" Empty