We Are Legion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

We Are Legion

The Scarshield Legion Retirement Home

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Blizzard Competition

Go down 
+6
Siheld
Malicestrom
Snicka
Avior
Morgalyen
Pyschotaz
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Aelhaiarn

Aelhaiarn

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2009-04-03

Blizzard Competition - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blizzard Competition   Blizzard Competition - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 11, 2009 9:27 am

Avior wrote:
Point 1: What Pyschotaz is about to do can easily be classified as the underlined.How many Aelhaiarns do you think can be there on Azeroth?

I checked both armories out of curiosity and must say I'm the only one!

Not the point, though. Playing a computer game with certain name tag doesn't offend any laws. However, publishing a written story that uses another person's character (that is, character story in context with the name) does. But as said, this conversation isn't of the original topic and doesn't seem to be going anywhere. Take this as my closure.
Back to top Go down
Avior

Avior

Number of posts : 275
Registration date : 2009-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Blizzard Competition   Blizzard Competition - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 11, 2009 9:39 am

Well,i've probably been too impulsive over nothing as well Very Happy
What i meant is it's no big deal if you see a name of your character in some random fanfic.Asking before using it would still be polite though.

As for the names in general,this often helps me a lot.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Blizzard Competition   Blizzard Competition - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 11, 2009 9:48 am

Out of curiosity, Aelhaiarn, would you be ok with someone using your name for a troll character (or indeed any race except Blood Elf)?
Back to top Go down
Aelhaiarn

Aelhaiarn

PostSubject: Re: Blizzard Competition   Blizzard Competition - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 11, 2009 9:55 am

Avior, Blizzard contest steps outside the realm of fanfic when Blizzard claims ownership over their entire text, including characters and everything else.

Gurfang, While I wouldn't like it, I suppose nothing prevents people from playing games with any names they fancy.
Back to top Go down
Pyschotaz

Pyschotaz

Number of posts : 79
Registration date : 2008-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Blizzard Competition   Blizzard Competition - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 11, 2009 10:02 am

Ok guys, thanks for discussion, even if a bit off-topic. I was never going to use people's names directly, but maybe adapt them, or use as a last etc.....

However i'll just create on my own now.

Seriously i doubt i'll win, but it's a chance to be creative and see how i do. I something i write appears in game later, then i can be proud even if no-one else knows.
Back to top Go down
Avior

Avior

Number of posts : 275
Registration date : 2009-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Blizzard Competition   Blizzard Competition - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 11, 2009 10:04 am

Aelhaiarn wrote:
Avior, Blizzard contest steps outside the realm of fanfic when Blizzard claims ownership over their entire text, including characters and everything else.
That's what i meant. Wouldn't it be great to see an NPC with your name one day,or at least the name being mentioned somewhere in the lore? Very Happy
Blizz can't forbid me from using my name ingame (as it doesn't break any of their policies,or i would've been forced to change it a long time ago) and that's pretty much all i need.
Back to top Go down
Feronius

Feronius

Number of posts : 281
Registration date : 2008-06-05

PostSubject: Re: Blizzard Competition   Blizzard Competition - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 11, 2009 10:29 am

What people above mean.. this is a contest for hobbywriters mainly, BUT it's also a cheap way (here you has sword nao, thanks for story) for Blizzard to gather lore.. not neccesarily a bad case, altough they could've highlighted the fact of them owning your entire story beforehand.

But indeed, as a hobbywriter to end up in-game or add to the real lore would be amazing, especially since it doesn't get you paid.. but you can still say "I've written a story for Blizzard's World of Warcraft game" and the publicity stays. For a beginning writer it might just be a nice way to get spotted? /shrug

(If you're already a proffesional writer you're basicly dumb to join in.. unless you want the sword or find it very fun to write it in your spare time.)
Back to top Go down
Aelhaiarn

Aelhaiarn

PostSubject: Re: Blizzard Competition   Blizzard Competition - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 11, 2009 10:37 am

Avior wrote:
That's what i meant. Wouldn't it be great to see an NPC with your name one day,or at least the name being mentioned somewhere in the lore? Very Happy

This is a matter of opinion. Some might like it, some might not. But the common courtesy and the law enforcement system speak against using other people's works (text) in your own, without permission. I hope this is clear enough...
Back to top Go down
Pyschotaz

Pyschotaz

PostSubject: Re: Blizzard Competition   Blizzard Competition - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 11, 2009 11:34 am

Ok here is my first 1000 words

The screams seemed to come from every direction and flames were so intense. Everything around him was burning and there was nothing he could do.

Mareak woke with a start, a shadowy face looming over him. Without thinking he reacted in a flash, roaring while he pushed the face off him and whipped out his knife, before bringing it to the nearby throat.
“Who are you?” Mareak demanded.
“It’s me Mareak!” Squeaked a voice, full of fear.
Mareak took a second to clear his head, and looked at the face, at which his knife hovered ever so closely.
“Damn it boy…..don’t ever sneak up on me like that again.” He said as he let out a deep breath.
“I’m sorry, but you were tossing and turning and muttering in your sleep. It sounded awful and I was worried about you.”
Mareak looked at the boy who had been foolish enough to wake him. His name was Onnalo Hawklight and he was the boy that Mareak was charged to protect, even if Mareak didn’t like him.
Mareak found the boy weak and pathetic, probably due to his fancy upbringing, and besides. There was nothing in his contract that said he had to like the boy.
“Go back to bed boy. It was just a bad dream,” returning his knife to its hiding place, ready to be used again.
“Look, I have told you before, stop calling me boy. You are not much older than me you know.” Onnalo replied, indignant at this. “My father put me in charge of this venture all by myself!”
“Ha!” Mareak let out a short laugh. “You may be seventeen, but in terms of experience you’re extremely lacking…boy. Though I suppose it’s not your fault living a life-style such as yours,”
“What’s that supposed to mean?” replied Onnalo, his voice starting to get higher again.
“It means you haven’t had hardship in your life or the suffering that goes with it.” Mareak suddenly looked pained, and he regretted the word he had just said.
“What’s that mean? Is it something from your past? You can tell me if you like. I know all the stories of the great battles of the past and the wars against the Orcs, my mother used to tell me all about them.” Onnalo’s voice was now filled with elation, for he had always been keen on history.
However, instead of the reaction Onnalo expected, Mareak suddenly surged up grabbing Onnalo’s neck. “You know nothing and if you ever breathe a word of this again, I will make sure it’s the last you do.” Mareak had put his face right up to Onnalo’s. “You’re pathetic and weak. That’s why your father has paid me to watch you. Make sure you don’t screw this up.”
“You cannot speak to me like that. I am your employer.” Onnalo squeezing out the words.
“Wrong your father employed me and I answer to him.” Mareak let his hold go and Onnalo fell to the floor. Mareak turned and began to head for the steps that would lead out of the belly of the ship and up onto the deck.
“I’ll tell my father about this.” Onnalo called after, but Mareak just ignored him, knowing he needed to cool down.

Mareak stepped out onto the deck and took in a deep breath of sea air. He was a tall man and well built, and he had his father to thank for that. The training he had been given when he was younger had certainly left its mark. His blond hair was short and cropped. He agreed with his father in that respect. How can a warrior fight properly when his hair is flying across his face? His eyes grey and focused, always watching and taking in every detail, a crucial skill in his line of work.
He was a mercenary, and he had been hired by Lord Elroar Hawklight, a wealthy and important merchant from the island state of Kul’Tiras, to protect the Lord’s only son.
It wasn’t a glamorous job, but it was easy and paid well. In fact, this trading trip to the Northern Kingdoms was the hardest thing so far. Weighing it up, he knew he could be a lot worse off.
But the boy…he just got under Mareak’s skin. His innocence and positive outlook were painful to Mareak, whose past was overshadowed by pain.
Mareak’s chain of thoughts was broken by the ringing of a bell and a shout.
‘Land ahoy!’
Mareak looked up to see the port of Southshore in view. It was not a large port, but after the hordes attacks, especially on Hasic, it had grown in importance.
Onnalo walked onto the deck and waved at Mareak, the boy is too naïve, Mareak though to himself.
“Seems we have arrived at Southshore boy. Time for you to shine.”

Onnalo looked over at Mareak, wondering why the man disliked him so much…and why he kept calling him boy all the time.
Onnalo knew Mareak was slightly older than him and also a lot taller and well-built. Onnalo himself was smaller and scrawnier, due to his lifestyle. He had been taught the basics of combat and had a rapier at his side, but he had also been taught history and the art of trading so he could follow in the footsteps of his father. His black hair was long and flowed down the back of his head in a ponytail. With his blue eyes, he looked unusual to most people.
Onnalo sighed at Mareak and walked up onto the bow of the ship, to speak with the captain.
“How long before we are docked and able to start unloading our goods captain?”
“I’d say another 20 to 30 minutes milord. Southshore is still not a large port and so there should be plenty of room in the harbour.”
“Excellent, then we should be able to start trading with plenty of time left in the day”. The voice belonged to a large, short, balding man who had followed Onnalo up. His name was Belkas Chorster. The man had been in service of Onnalo’s father, even before Onnalo had been born, back when Lord Elroar Hawklight was making a name for himself and reversing the family’s fortunes. Onnalo knew he had a lot to live up.

I will try not to give too much away. I know you have read the basic outline, but i'm adding in more detail and had some more ideas. Hopefully i can keep you interested still.
Back to top Go down
Pyschotaz

Pyschotaz

PostSubject: Re: Blizzard Competition   Blizzard Competition - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 11, 2009 1:17 pm

Ok first 2000 words.

The screams seemed to come from every direction and flames were so intense. Everything around him was burning and there was nothing he could do.

Mareak woke with a start, a shadowy face looming over him. Without thinking he reacted in a flash, roaring while he pushed the face off him and whipped out his knife, before bringing it to the nearby throat.
“Who are you?” Mareak demanded.
“It’s me Mareak!” Squeaked a voice, full of fear.
Mareak took a second to clear his head, and looked at the face, at which his knife hovered ever so closely.
“Damn it boy…..don’t ever sneak up on me like that again.” He said as he let out a deep breath.
“I’m sorry, but you were tossing and turning and muttering in your sleep. It sounded awful and I was worried about you.”
Mareak looked at the boy who had been foolish enough to wake him. His name was Onnalo Hawklight and he was the boy that Mareak was charged to protect, even if Mareak didn’t like him.
Mareak found the boy weak and pathetic, probably due to his fancy upbringing, and besides. There was nothing in his contract that said he had to like the boy.
“Go back to bed boy. It was just a bad dream,” returning his knife to its hiding place, ready to be used again.
“Look, I have told you before, stop calling me boy. You are not much older than me you know.” Onnalo replied, indignant at this. “My father put me in charge of this venture all by myself!”
“Ha!” Mareak let out a short laugh. “You may be eighteen, but in terms of experience you’re extremely lacking…boy. Though I suppose it’s not your fault living a life-style such as yours,”
“What’s that supposed to mean?” replied Onnalo, his voice starting to get higher again.
“It means you haven’t had hardship in your life or the suffering that goes with it.” Mareak suddenly looked pained, and he regretted the word he had just said.
“Are you talking about something from your past? You can tell me if you like. I know all the stories of the great battles of the past and the wars against the Orcs, my mother used to tell me all about them.” Onnalo’s voice was now filled with elation, for he had always been keen on history.
However, instead of the reaction Onnalo expected, Mareak suddenly surged up grabbing Onnalo’s neck. “You know nothing and if you ever breathe a word of this again, I will make sure it’s the last you do.” Mareak had put his face right up to Onnalo’s. “You’re pathetic and weak. That’s why your father has paid me to watch you. Make sure you don’t screw this up.”
“You cannot speak to me like that. I am your employer.” Onnalo squeezing out the words.
“Wrong your father employed me and I answer to him.” Mareak let his hold go and Onnalo fell to the floor. Mareak turned and began to head for the steps that would lead out of the belly of the ship and up onto the deck.
“I’ll tell my father about this.” Onnalo called after, but Mareak just ignored him, knowing he needed to cool down.

Mareak stepped out onto the deck and took in a deep breath of sea air. He was a tall man and well built, and he had his father to thank for that. The training he had been given when he was younger had certainly left its mark. His blond hair was short and cropped. He agreed with his father in that respect. How can a warrior fight properly when his hair is flying across his face? His eyes grey and focused, always watching and taking in every detail, a crucial skill in his line of work.
He was a mercenary, and he had been hired by Lord Elroar Hawklight, a wealthy and important merchant from the island state of Kul’Tiras, to protect the Lord’s only son.
It wasn’t a glamorous job, but it was easy and paid well. In fact, this trading trip to the Northern Kingdoms was the hardest thing so far. Weighing it up, he knew he could be a lot worse off.
But the boy…he just got under Mareak’s skin. His innocence and positive outlook were painful to Mareak, whose past was overshadowed by pain.
Mareak’s chain of thoughts was broken by the ringing of a bell and a shout.
‘Land ahoy!’
Mareak looked up to see the port of Southshore in view. It was not a large port, but after the hordes attacks, especially on Hasic, it had grown in importance.
Onnalo walked onto the deck and waved at Mareak, the boy is too naïve, Mareak though to himself.
“Seems we have arrived at Southshore boy. Time for you to shine.”

Onnalo looked over at Mareak, wondering why the man disliked him so much…and why he kept calling him boy all the time.
Onnalo knew Mareak was slightly older than him and also a lot taller and well-built. Onnalo himself was smaller and scrawnier, due to his lifestyle. He had been taught the basics of combat and had a rapier at his side, but he had also been taught history and the art of trading so he could follow in the footsteps of his father. His black hair was long and flowed down the back of his head in a ponytail. With his blue eyes, he looked unusual to most people.
Onnalo sighed at Mareak and walked up onto the bow of the ship, to speak with the captain.
“How long before we are docked and able to start unloading our goods captain?”
“I’d say another 20 to 30 minutes milord. Southshore is still not a large port and so there should be plenty of room in the harbour.”
“Excellent, then we should be able to start trading with plenty of time left in the day”. The voice belonged to a large, short, balding man who had followed Onnalo up. His name was Belkas Chorster. The man had been in service of Onnalo’s father, even before Onnalo had been born, back when Lord Elroar Hawklight was making a name for himself and reversing the family’s fortunes. Onnalo knew he had a lot to live up.

The trip was a disaster! How could things have gone so badly, Onnalo wondered to himself, how things could have gone so badly? He was sitting in the inn alone at a table drinking. Kul’Tiras grain was of the highest quality and sort after, yet no one was interested. His whole hold was full of worthless grain that would be no longer usable, when he returned to Kul’Tiras. His father would be furious and he would suffer for this. His first solo venture had ended in ruin and he could see nothing to salvage it.
“There you are young master.” Belkas was standing in the door way.
Onnalo sighed…he knew he would be found eventually.
“I’m afraid this is very bad. It seems there is a new cheap source of grain, which has undercut the market.” Belkas moved towards Onnalo’s table holding a piece of parchment. “I have tried to gather some information about it, but people seem to know very little.”
“It doesn’t matter Belkas, we can’t sell our grain and my father will never put me in charge of anything again.” Onnalo reached for his drink.
“Come now young master, nobody could have predicted this. It is not your fault.” Belkas placed a hand on Onnalo’s shoulder trying to comfort him. “The least we can do is gather information so we know what we were doing.”
For some reason this sent a rage through Onnalo, “I don’t care about gathering information, that’s your job. My job was to prove I could be trusted with one of my father’s shipments and I failed. No leave me alone!” Onnalo was on his feet now.
“Yes master,” Belkas replied looking down at his shoes now. He backed slowly towards the door, before scurrying away.
Onnalo sat down and went back to his drink and ordered another one from the passing maid.
“Damn it, all this cheap grain, but no way to transport it north…” Onnalo had been sitting there for a while, how long he didn’t know, but he had lost track of time. However the statement woke him from his stupor.
“It’s your own fault for being so rash, you thought you could make a quick profit, without thinking it through.” Two men were huddled at a table in the corner, talking low, but loud enough to be over heard.
“Look all we had to do was find away of transporting it north and we would have been rich.”
“Yes replied the other man, but now we are left with grain that will go mouldy soon and nothing to do, but store it. You always act before you think and I have to help you clean up the mess”.
Onnalo began to listen intently. Maybe this was a gift from the gods, a way to salvage this whole venture in the eyes of his father. However he wouldn’t rush this. He had to be sure.
“We have a hundred sacks of grain and no way of transporting them, what do you think we can do? Make our own bread and sell that! We have spent our last savings on a foolish hope.”
“But at 1 gold a sack it was a bargain, the highest rate sacks from Kul’Tiras can sell at 6 or 7 times that amount.
Onnalo knew then that he could take this grain off of them and sell it on. Unlike his own, he would not lose money selling it on.
He got up and walked over to the table.
“Can we help you boy?” Replied the first man, who had bought all the grain.
“I just thought we might be able to help each other. I can buy the grain from you and send it north.”
“How could a whelp like you, buy all this grain from us, let alone find a way to send it north,” The second man looked very sceptical as he said this.
“I may be young, but my father is one of the leading merchants in grain from Kul’Tiras. Now I have my own means of transporting the goods, but to sell my own grain at current prices would be suicide and the money lost would be too large to be forgiven.” Onnalo spoke clearly and tried to sound mature, though he was filled with terror inside that the men would just dismiss him and he would have to ask Belkas for help. He needed to do this on his own if he was to prove his father wrong …and Mareak.
“Give us a moment to discuss it.” The first man answered.
Onnalo went back to his table and the men began whispering quieter, but he heard words like young, inexperienced, desperate and no other choice. Also some other words like urgent and the master, that didn’t seem to make sense.
Eventually they stood up and called him back over.
“We’ve considered your proposal and would like to hear your offer.” The second man had taken over the negotiations, no doubt because of his friend’s rash decision before.
“I will offer to buy the sacks at 1 gold and 50 silver a sack. That means you make 50 gold just for holding on for a few sacks of grain.”
“2 gold 50 silver,” countered the man, “we found this grain.”
“Yes, but you are doing nothing with it. 1 gold 60,” Onnalo replied.
“2 gold 25, you’re desperate for something to sell”
“Yes, but unlike you, I will not lose everything if we do not make a deal…1 gold 75 and that is my final offer.” Onnalo knew he had the men, he would still be well off despite the loss, but these men needed this.
The men were looking at each other…”fine, 1 gold 75.” The first man had taken over again. “Not the profit I hoped for, but better than nothing.” He held out his had, “so do we have a deal?”
Onnalo shook the man’s hand, “indeed we do, and bring the grain to the dock.”

Onnalo was happy again, he still laughed when he remembered Belkas’ face. The horror that he had in fact bought grain rather than sold it. But as soon as he explained the deal, Belkas realised what a stroke of genius it was. Even Mareak didn’t have a smart comment. They had made a nice profit for no work and were now heading back to Kul’Tiras, while the grain was now being spread outwards from Andorhal.

I know it's not going to be amazing yet, but as a story does it seem to be developing.

Please bare in mind it will keep quickening in pace.
Back to top Go down
Siheld

Siheld

Number of posts : 1446
Registration date : 2008-08-17

PostSubject: Re: Blizzard Competition   Blizzard Competition - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 11, 2009 3:09 pm

Aelhaiarn wrote:
Otherwise, thumbs up. Remember to add your story here afterwards!

These are actually my character names...
Back to top Go down
Pyschotaz

Pyschotaz

PostSubject: Re: Blizzard Competition   Blizzard Competition - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 12, 2009 7:30 am

Ok guys, basically i realised i won't be able to finish this to a standard i am happy with. I will be busy most of today and i really think blizzard messed up on closing times so i won't have monday as well.

Thanks for all your help i will continue to write it and i will post it when i'm finished and happy with it.
Back to top Go down
Brontz

Brontz

Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2009-02-22

PostSubject: Re: Blizzard Competition   Blizzard Competition - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 12, 2009 5:14 pm

Wish i'd seen this before too have puzzled the idea with working on a story but thought i should wait a while..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Blizzard Competition   Blizzard Competition - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Blizzard Competition
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2