We Are Legion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

We Are Legion

The Scarshield Legion Retirement Home

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

RP issues... balance needed.

Go down 
+20
Crowley
Snicka
Feronius
Katheryn
Morgalyen
Nerissa
emil_frojd
Ryleen
Opathu
Quintilius
Siheld
Shadowtroll
Speatus
Vexacus
Gwenderlin
Vypra
Emanee
munechi
Avior
Kadris
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
kongore

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2009-06-29

RP issues... balance needed. - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: RP issues... balance needed.   RP issues... balance needed. - Page 4 EmptyThu Jul 02, 2009 1:18 am

Such being the attitudes of LFRP is exactly why neither this character or any of my alts will set foot in that channel.
Lyranne may have been the unassuming spark, but LFRP made the flame.

EDIT: I should probably add- By all means it wasn't Lyranne's fault, what happened couldn't have been predicted.
Back to top Go down
Kadris

Kadris

Number of posts : 126
Registration date : 2008-06-27

PostSubject: Re: RP issues... balance needed.   RP issues... balance needed. - Page 4 EmptyThu Jul 02, 2009 1:44 am

Lyranne wrote:
What Crowley said is correct. Though I must add that Speatus' comment about princesses came in because he missed the start and his comment led to people thinking it was bigger than it actually was.

The events that happened were my frustration that the House (who were invited) just stood there, and did nothing. I couldn't easily get to them IC to encourage activity, so made a comment in lfrp that they seemed more like schoolyard bullies than anything actually menacing (as they were blocking the way, and seemed close to pantomime). Archy assumed (somehow) that I was saying there should be no evil RP (which wasn't the case, in fact I was suggesting he be an even more arrogant bastard IC). Archy's comment was about "I don't gve a shit, People act like this in real life". Fair enough, they do (as I'd actually said). Speatus read that, and assumed I'd said the previous misunderstanding, and so -everyone- jumped in, believing whatever the hell they wanted.

Apologies for the scrappy collection above, but it was messy anyway.

So:

Me: comment about school bully style RP, and a suggestion that they appear -more- menacing, rather than seeming like they want our lunch money.

Archy: response that missed the latter point, and mistook me as saying people should have some kind of love-in.

Random lfrper: pointless comment that excaserbated the situation, forcing me to defend my comment.

Random lfrper 2: does the same as the first one, again forcing me to reiterate my comment.

Speatus: Makes the comment about Belf princesses, as he assumes the wrong thing.

Me: Starts getting pissed off that not one person read my comment correctly, and still having to repeat it (to little success). also trying to reach Archy and apologise for my comment, as I genuinely love the idea of evil RP (Hell, I'm trying to take Lyranne down a darker path).

Random lfrpers, in unison: Start derailing it until I can't be arsed talking, and -everyone- starts bitching. People log in and read comments, further fueling the flame war.

A few people did actually agree with me about how the House acted seeming not very evil, but it all got lost in the flaming anyway.

I log in the next day and talk to Kadris, apologising for how the situation arose (and telling her of my comment). She gets flamed in lfrp over some very simple requests of fellow RPers (this was not a case of her sulking, but rather an element of frrustration as many either ignored her initial question/s or else started to respond in a hostile manner - the worst offender being Huor/Cobh).

I take full responsibilty for all that happened. My comment was ill-advised, stupid and on hindsight, unproductive. If I could take it back, I would. So I apologise to all the members of the House of Syvlanas, those present in LFRP, and anyone else that may have been caught up in this all.

These are almost the same methods that lead to any flaming (though with a different instigator).

People will most likely pick parts of this and respond seperately, at least it's in convenient, bite-size quotes for you.

Aw Lyranne... I'm sorry but you can't take responsibility for this whole fiasco. Its taken all of us to screw things up. Smile *hugs*
You can not has. Wink
Back to top Go down
Opathu

Opathu

Number of posts : 1047
Registration date : 2008-06-17

PostSubject: Re: RP issues... balance needed.   RP issues... balance needed. - Page 4 EmptyThu Jul 02, 2009 8:59 am

*fires up the Plague channel again*

*eyes Backstage with longing, too ... *
Back to top Go down
http://www.nickryan.net
Vypra
Admin
Vypra

Number of posts : 2810
Registration date : 2008-03-10

PostSubject: Re: RP issues... balance needed.   RP issues... balance needed. - Page 4 EmptyThu Jul 02, 2009 11:44 am

kongore wrote:
Such being the attitudes of LFRP is exactly why neither this character or any of my alts will set foot in that channel.
Lyranne may have been the unassuming spark, but LFRP made the flame.

EDIT: I should probably add- By all means it wasn't Lyranne's fault, what happened couldn't have been predicted.

In my experience the same thing happens in -any- OOC chat channel over time. Some people troll and flame but the majority just want to chat to their freinds and when said freinds get upset about something they jump in to back them up ...not always having access to all the information that led to the conflict in the first place. Add in the small minority that just like to fan the flames into the mix and we end up with what happened here.

Lets face it, in any group of people there are times when tensions run high. That's just the realities of social interaction.

At the end of the day it is of course up to each person whether they join a channel or not but its seems a little harsh to just say 'i'm not joining -that- channel' just because things occasionally get a little heated. The 'attititude' of most people in LFRP is generaly helpful and mature. I'm sad that there are those who have a more negative perception based on the actions of a few unrepresentative members.
Back to top Go down
https://wearelegion.forumakers.com
kongore

PostSubject: Re: RP issues... balance needed.   RP issues... balance needed. - Page 4 EmptyThu Jul 02, 2009 12:29 pm

Vypra wrote:
I'm sad that there are those who have a more negative perception based on the actions of a few unrepresentative members.

Such is life, frankly. For example- the Scottish government is working towards an all out bann against airsoft and the replica firearms that go with it all because of the odd Chav walking down the street brandishing an air rifle, pointing and shooting at unsuspecting pedestrians. The result of the government plans is a big uproar from the Scottish Airsofting community. Because of that todler fatality in 2005, the government think all air rifles are weapons of death, which is far from the truth. In airsoft you'd be extremely unlucky if one leaves a small mark, let alone piecing the skin, but no.. the government works towards banning ALL air weapons. Screwing over hundreds if not thousands of players because of some idiots.

I can't say I've not given LFRP its chances, but every time I decide to give it "one more chance" something like this kicks up and I just end up leaving again. Bad timing or bad luck some folk may call it, I'm just full of it. ¬_¬
Back to top Go down
Quintilius

Quintilius

Number of posts : 735
Registration date : 2008-07-08

PostSubject: Re: RP issues... balance needed.   RP issues... balance needed. - Page 4 EmptyThu Jul 02, 2009 12:56 pm

I loved lfrp, partly because of the fucked up nab discussions that fire up in it. Just tell people to stfu if they're too stupid and if they go too far just kick em. Razz
Back to top Go down
Opathu

Opathu

Number of posts : 1047
Registration date : 2008-06-17

PostSubject: Re: RP issues... balance needed.   RP issues... balance needed. - Page 4 EmptyThu Jul 02, 2009 1:01 pm

I seem to have missed all this emo chat.

Then again, I realised that throwing effort into serious RP -- akin, it seems to me, to preparing to act in a Broadway play in front of hundreds of people -- is going to bring with it conflict. On the flipside, that level of concentration required (to emote, to follow conversations, to act) is also why it is not practical when you have 'life' going on around you.
Back to top Go down
http://www.nickryan.net
Avior

Avior

Number of posts : 275
Registration date : 2009-02-07

PostSubject: Re: RP issues... balance needed.   RP issues... balance needed. - Page 4 EmptyThu Jul 02, 2009 1:55 pm

What i really don't understand is how this thread could have possibly got 6 pages of replies.
Is it really something that major to keep talking about for a week (actually 4 days,but meh)?
Some people flame LFRP, others just come here and flame WAL (no offence, but it really looks that way).
Back to top Go down
kongore

PostSubject: Re: RP issues... balance needed.   RP issues... balance needed. - Page 4 EmptyThu Jul 02, 2009 3:16 pm

Avior wrote:
What i really don't understand is how this thread could have possibly got 6 pages of replies.
Is it really something that major to keep talking about for a week (actually 4 days,but meh)?
Some people flame LFRP, others just come here and flame WAL (no offence, but it really looks that way).

There is a discussion going on if you actually bother reading it, its not all "AMG U RP WHORE DONT /SLAP ME OR U PRP", "UR FACE PRPS LOL".
However I am quite suprised there is quite alot of OOC negativity towards the House, I doubt any member of the House would do something OOC to cause offence, so it seems alot of people are getting OOC irritance from IC actions by them, which is in general is very bad for rp.
People should learn how to keep their IC and OOC emotions seperate, then folk might realise that the House members are actually very nice once you talk to them and instances like this might be settled better rather than threads like this appearing where issues need addressing.
Back to top Go down
Avior

Avior

PostSubject: Re: RP issues... balance needed.   RP issues... balance needed. - Page 4 EmptyThu Jul 02, 2009 3:46 pm

kongore wrote:

There is a discussion going on if you actually bother reading it, its not all "AMG U RP WHORE DONT /SLAP ME OR U PRP", "UR FACE PRPS LOL".
I never said that.
But i actually did read most of it and still haven't found many constructive posts.
Whatever this discussion is about, it doesn't seem to be worth 6 pages.
Back to top Go down
Vypra
Admin
Vypra

PostSubject: Re: RP issues... balance needed.   RP issues... balance needed. - Page 4 EmptyThu Jul 02, 2009 4:24 pm

Avior wrote:

But i actually did read most of it and still haven't found many constructive posts.
Whatever this discussion is about, it doesn't seem to be worth 6 pages.

well, as you've been asking since the opening post what this is all about i'll break it down for you:

- OP ask that we establish some ground rules to try and prevent the kind of troll/ flame fest that occured on Sunday

- this was followed by several suggestions on how to do so

- then came a side disscussion about prp that resulted from a /slap emote.

- thread was dragged back on track by Crowley who asked that everybody just let the ppl whi are actually involved in the situation sort it out among themselves rather than stick their oar in when they know little to nothing about what actually happened.

- on pg5 we all finally found out what kicked the whole thing off

and now we have me saying that this kinda thing happens all the time and ppl shouldn't let the actions of a few colour their perception of the whole commuunity and Kongore commenting as he did.

get it now?

as for whether it deserves a 6 page thread, who are you to decide that? the people who are contributing to it do and that's all that matters. there's nothing forcing you to read it nevermind go to the trouble of commenting and as long as it doesn't degenerate into indescrimnate flaming, i have no issues with poeple using this forum to get things off their chest.

Constructive discussion is never a waste of time to those who feel affected by it Razz
Back to top Go down
Avior

Avior

PostSubject: Re: RP issues... balance needed.   RP issues... balance needed. - Page 4 EmptyThu Jul 02, 2009 5:20 pm

Quote :
get it now?
Erm...Thanks for the summary, but as i said i've already read most of that.
And if you really find that constructive...Oh well, i'll better go read something else indeed.
Back to top Go down
Vypra
Admin
Vypra

PostSubject: Re: RP issues... balance needed.   RP issues... balance needed. - Page 4 EmptyThu Jul 02, 2009 5:36 pm

yes, you said you read it...i was trying to summarise in an attempt to work out what it was you failed to understand.

but if you think i'm just wasting your time, then yes, read some other thread
Back to top Go down
Avior

Avior

PostSubject: Re: RP issues... balance needed.   RP issues... balance needed. - Page 4 EmptyThu Jul 02, 2009 6:45 pm

Vypra wrote:
yes, you said you read it...i was trying to summarise in an attempt to work out what it was you failed to understand.

Things that didn't make it to your list (in order of appearance):
— Calippo
— Michael Jackson's funeral
— Quint
— Ice cream
— RPing a war hero
— Quint again
— Frail librarians
— Magnums
And i'm pretty sure i missed a few things.

Don't get me wrong, i have nothing against flaming. On the contrary, you can blame me for flaming way too much and you'll probably be right (i'm actually contributing to it right now). But come on, if this thread isn't off topic then what is? It only took 6 pages not to find an answer to a question stated in the first post...

Anyway, i'm in a bad mood right now so i might sound more offencive than i am and say things i wouldn't want to. So i'm off the discussion for the time being.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: RP issues... balance needed.   RP issues... balance needed. - Page 4 EmptyThu Jul 02, 2009 9:19 pm

Avior wrote:
Vypra wrote:

Things that didn't make it to your list (in order of appearance):
— Calippo
— Michael Jackson's funeral
— Quint
— Ice cream
— RPing a war hero
— Quint again
— Frail librarians
— Magnums
And i'm pretty sure i missed a few things.

Don't get me wrong, i have nothing against flaming. On the contrary, you can blame me for flaming way too much and you'll probably be right (i'm actually contributing to it right now). But come on, if this thread isn't off topic then what is? It only took 6 pages not to find an answer to a question stated in the first post...

Anyway, i'm in a bad mood right now so i might sound more offencive than i am and say things i wouldn't want to. So i'm off the discussion for the time being.

Avi, posting when in a bad mood is not advisable at the best of times (taken from personal experience) but in this case you are also coming across as a bit of an idiot.

You asked the same question as several others of us (asking what it was about) and you got the answer. We then went on to find out more information until eventually we found out the full story.

Sure, some people often decide that posting inanity is a far better way of dealing with what they refer to as "DRAMA" and some people just feel like trolling in a thread that grows as this one did, but this was definitely not a pointless thread as it led to a greater understanding by people who were clearly annoyed by something that happened in game.
Back to top Go down
Zanick

Zanick

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2008-06-05

PostSubject: Re: RP issues... balance needed.   RP issues... balance needed. - Page 4 EmptyTue Jul 07, 2009 2:41 pm

Having been away from WAL for several weeks, I have just read this thread for the first time. I would like to (with some trepidation) mention a couple of things that I don't think have been said yet.

I was at the gathering in memory of Quintilius (although not quite to the very end). I think that all of those who took part should be congratulated. What I saw was an interesting RP event. It's not easy at that sort of event for everyone to join in. The typing delays, side conversations, distracting emotes and occasional interruptions from OOCtards make it damn tricky to keep the flow of dialogue going when there are so many characters present. It takes a lot of patience and restraint, and can be still be frustrating.

But from where I was standing (nervously near the fireplace) it worked well. I didn't know Quintilius at all, but I came along to support Deyy (as did Gul'Zayne). I learned a lot about Quint from the fond stories recounted by his friends. The arrival of Archnazg and his followers added an enjoyable tension to the event. And I agree with Lyranne that they did seem like the bullies in the school playground. And a good story needs bullies, baddies, sneaks, creeps and nasties, just as much as it needs heroes.

Finally, it's encouraging to see that a thread here on WAL can sort out misunderstandings. As a community, we have a huge variety of ages, outlooks and RP styles. Yet we can usually manage to resolve these issues by reasonable discussion, or else agree to disagree about things like /slap.

Thanks to everyone who took part.

BTW Magnums are only great if a huge slab of chocolate doesn't fall off!
Back to top Go down
Lamost

Lamost

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2008-08-04

PostSubject: Re: RP issues... balance needed.   RP issues... balance needed. - Page 4 EmptyWed Jul 08, 2009 2:48 am

Ye might aswell.

QQ
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: RP issues... balance needed.   RP issues... balance needed. - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

RP issues... balance needed.
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4