We Are Legion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

We Are Legion

The Scarshield Legion Retirement Home

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

What WoW really lacks

Go down 
+7
Vexacus
Katheryn
Ryleen
Adalan
Tavecy
Shadowtroll
Elisse
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Kaeldrin

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2009-01-21

What WoW really lacks - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What WoW really lacks   What WoW really lacks - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 02, 2009 2:49 pm

I’ve used an ultra private server. The top and bottom of it is, I managed to get one setup on my PC, and logged in, and everything seemed fine. Only, I found out you have spawn all NPCs and setup the loot tables etc. and my head exploded at the amount of work that goes into setting up a realm to get it to a playable state. So I flew around for half and hour, got bored, and went back onto the Blizz realms.

So, sorry, but I guess that’s not much use to you. I did research private realms for a while, but after finding most of them described as “fun servers” I quickly got put-off.
Back to top Go down
Opathu

Opathu

Number of posts : 1047
Registration date : 2008-06-17

PostSubject: Re: What WoW really lacks   What WoW really lacks - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 02, 2009 2:54 pm

Kaeldrin wrote:
I’ve used an ultra private server. The top and bottom of it is, I managed to get one setup on my PC, and logged in, and everything seemed fine. Only, I found out you have spawn all NPCs and setup the loot tables etc. and my head exploded at the amount of work that goes into setting up a realm to get it to a playable state. So I flew around for half and hour, got bored, and went back onto the Blizz realms.

So, sorry, but I guess that’s not much use to you. I did research private realms for a while, but after finding most of them described as “fun servers” I quickly got put-off.

Ah, ok. Well if anyone else can help ...
Back to top Go down
http://www.nickryan.net
Shadowtroll

Shadowtroll

Number of posts : 1519
Registration date : 2008-05-28

PostSubject: Re: What WoW really lacks   What WoW really lacks - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 02, 2009 2:56 pm

Ehm spend quite a lot of time on private servers before. Mostly because of a friend of mine and so, what would you like to know?
Back to top Go down
http://ahoy-blackhands.darkbb.com/forum.htm
Opathu

Opathu

PostSubject: Re: What WoW really lacks   What WoW really lacks - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 02, 2009 2:58 pm

Shadowtroll wrote:
Ehm spend quite a lot of time on private servers before. Mostly because of a friend of mine and so, what would you like to know?

Well, think like this:

You have a friend who has never been on a private server. You are not in front of your computer at the moment, so you can't show him. How do you describe what a private server *is*, what can you *do*, *why* would you go on there, and *how* do you get on it?
Back to top Go down
Shadowtroll

Shadowtroll

Number of posts : 1519
Registration date : 2008-05-28

PostSubject: Re: What WoW really lacks   What WoW really lacks - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 02, 2009 3:18 pm

Ok firstly:

A private server is a (mostly) cheap copy of the Blizzard game World of Warcraft. (I dont need to explain what WoW is right?)

Population on private servers:
Mostly low but there are still some examples like ToxicWoW and Goat who have a regular player basis of 3000 to 6000 people. The people you find there are this sort which are described as noobs and from all over the world. Mostly folks who cant or dont want to pay for a game (in the meantime not knowing the difference) but still want to enjoy this MMORPG.

Rates, fun servers and quality:
The first thing which everyone asks is what are the rates? This means: Drop rate (for every item in the game) XP rate (How much more XP you get from a mob kill) and quest rate (again how much more XP you get from a normal quest). These rates varies from realm to realm and are in 90 of 100 cases VERY high so you can make a few level 80 in less then a few hours ( already geared with some sets etc).

The above example doesnt mean it has to be a fun server, mostly the same concept which you see in retail just well as said higher rates. Fun servers include bullshit like lvl 200, custom made gear (which is unbalanced, stupid names and mostly buggy) and all types of exploiting bugs or hacks. Fun servers do allow hacks and this crap which really kills the joy in playing, still beginners to this MMORPG play on fun servers.

Quality is something...variable but in 95 of 100 cases crap. You get every 5 minutes stuck, constant disconnects, bugs of all sorts and HUGE latency all over the time. Now there are still the other 5 cases (on which I played) which try to contribute a high game quality. To achieve this the owners of these private servers who already build a community ask for donations to upgrade their server promising they dont make any profit. (which is in fact true)

Why would you play on such a realm?

Lack of money? You enjoy a community of 12 year old noobs from all over the world? I myself played there because me and two other friends from here (who didnt wanted to pay for a game) wanted to play together. This was in the breaks I had from retail, anyhow there was no challenge for me and it became fast boring for me mateys too. Unbalanced, 80% of all skill trees dont work and yes the quality was the reason, although many aspects of the game worked its not the same.

How to get on a private server?
1. Google : WoW Private servers
2. Open first page and click on the server name rated as number 1.
3. There are listed steps how to create a account (e-mail address, account info and thats it) and to what to change your realm list.
4. Change realm list, get required patch if needed and log on enjoying the 'fun'

Those are mostly the basics, if you need any more info I could be useful just write or contact me via skype.
Back to top Go down
http://ahoy-blackhands.darkbb.com/forum.htm
Opathu

Opathu

PostSubject: Re: What WoW really lacks   What WoW really lacks - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 02, 2009 3:29 pm

I had an offer to get onto a private server: would you recommend any of them? Again, this is for a story research, before Vex bans me or something ^^
Back to top Go down
Kaeldrin

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2009-01-21

PostSubject: Re: What WoW really lacks   What WoW really lacks - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 02, 2009 3:40 pm

Its because you can have Kil’jaeden patrol through Stormwind, be friendly with you, and have him sell ice creams.

On a different note, I tried looking for RP Private servers, that are closely regulated by mature mods/admins and well maintained in quality. This was so that more RP spaces could be made and that the RP rules were actually enforced (i.e OOCers don’t exist). And by RP spaces, I mean that you can despawn NPCs from rooms, and at items like clickable seats, beds, rugs etc.

Like Shadowtroll said, quality is a major issue, and to be fair I understand why. After looking at how to build a realm up to Blizzards standards is incredibly time consuming. And then when you start tampering with things like spells, talents, scenery… it can get messy and unstable.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What WoW really lacks   What WoW really lacks - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 02, 2009 4:00 pm

Well... private servers can be as good as annoying... everytime the game gets patched or expanded you can count on TONS of bugs that will ruin your gameplay. Other then that, some of the good privates from back in the day (toxicwow, apexwow etc) had low populations (around 4k people) but some really nice Gm teams, MUCH more dedicated then Blizz's. I can only imagine the work it takes to script-customize an instance to even it with medium or high rates realms.

All good private servers closed tho, blizz sent a DMCA to all of them intimidating them to close or face legal consequences. After a frustrating search for a decent private server, i came up with two fairly reasonable ones, WoW Torn (pvp-oriented) and the Forsaken Realm (rp-oriented). I never got to develop a char more then lvl20 in any of them though, as i came to the decision this game is actually worth 25€ every two months...

Back to the topic, waht i really think we need is more active GM's, specially when it comes to RP realms, it's just plain stupid creating these kind of realms, setting them up with rules and then completely ignore the fact those rules are only respected by less then half the server population.

Yes, i'm bitching about random ooctards ruining my immersion, i hate them to the very core of my guts!
Back to top Go down
Opathu

Opathu

PostSubject: Re: What WoW really lacks   What WoW really lacks - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 02, 2009 4:05 pm

Thanks chaps.

If anyone wants to take me inside one of these places, give me a bell ...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What WoW really lacks   What WoW really lacks - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

What WoW really lacks
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
We Are Legion :: Meet & Greet :: Random Carp-
Jump to: