We Are Legion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

We Are Legion

The Scarshield Legion Retirement Home

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Are roleplayers just over-emotional? (emo)

Go down 
+6
munechi
Ryleen
Siheld
Akaula
Morgalyen
Opathu
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Opathu

Opathu

Number of posts : 1047
Registration date : 2008-06-17

Are roleplayers just over-emotional? (emo) Empty
PostSubject: Are roleplayers just over-emotional? (emo)   Are roleplayers just over-emotional? (emo) EmptyTue Feb 23, 2010 3:29 pm

I think so. Hence, as Quint pointed out, my descent into farcical humour. I cannae take the over-emotional responses and butthurt (to quote Vex) any more Cool
Back to top Go down
http://www.nickryan.net
Morgalyen

Morgalyen

Number of posts : 479
Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Are roleplayers just over-emotional? (emo)   Are roleplayers just over-emotional? (emo) EmptyTue Feb 23, 2010 3:31 pm

there there Oppy..... no need for all the gloom.

It's not Roleplayers just humans that are over Emo certainly when on the internet.
Back to top Go down
Morgalyen

Morgalyen

PostSubject: Re: Are roleplayers just over-emotional? (emo)   Are roleplayers just over-emotional? (emo) EmptyTue Feb 23, 2010 3:45 pm

Group of humans = unavoidable drama
Back to top Go down
Opathu

Opathu

Number of posts : 1047
Registration date : 2008-06-17

PostSubject: Re: Are roleplayers just over-emotional? (emo)   Are roleplayers just over-emotional? (emo) EmptyTue Feb 23, 2010 3:47 pm

Lol Smile I ain't too gloomy, more (I think) coming up against that brick wall on the Internet, as you rightly say, when people just don't ... get it. Don't get humour. Don't understand they're a pillock. Don't connect to other humans. Become too "literal".

I have to say, I used to meet weirdoes doing RPGs. Now I meet fuckin' weirdoes who I wouldn't trust with an AK47 in a Norwegian high school Laughing Internet and human behaviour is a psychologist's wet dream. Razz
Back to top Go down
http://www.nickryan.net
Morgalyen

Morgalyen

PostSubject: Re: Are roleplayers just over-emotional? (emo)   Are roleplayers just over-emotional? (emo) EmptyTue Feb 23, 2010 3:50 pm

Sarcasme + Internet = Possible Drama
Humour + Internet = Possible Drama
human + Internet = Drama
Cat + Internet = Worlddomination!

I can't be arsed to type long responses so will just do it in math.
Back to top Go down
Morgalyen

Morgalyen

PostSubject: Re: Are roleplayers just over-emotional? (emo)   Are roleplayers just over-emotional? (emo) EmptyTue Feb 23, 2010 3:53 pm

Would you trust me with an AK47 then? *puppy eyes*
Back to top Go down
Akaula

Akaula

Number of posts : 88
Registration date : 2009-09-21

PostSubject: Re: Are roleplayers just over-emotional? (emo)   Are roleplayers just over-emotional? (emo) EmptyTue Feb 23, 2010 3:54 pm

Yes. People need to chill the fudge out.

It's almost enough to ragehappyquit.
Back to top Go down
http://twitter.com/GhastlyMcNasty
Siheld

Siheld

Number of posts : 1446
Registration date : 2008-08-17

PostSubject: Re: Are roleplayers just over-emotional? (emo)   Are roleplayers just over-emotional? (emo) EmptyTue Feb 23, 2010 4:39 pm

But I´m a forumwhore. I need drama.
Back to top Go down
Ryleen

Ryleen

Number of posts : 762
Registration date : 2008-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Are roleplayers just over-emotional? (emo)   Are roleplayers just over-emotional? (emo) EmptyTue Feb 23, 2010 4:45 pm

I agree. As far as I can see, the problem is people reasoning "I can't see these people face to face, so why should I be polite or even consider that they might have feelings?"

And while I do know to not take people seriously, I'll just go ahead and admit it: I am one of those sad people who have most of their friends online. Thus emotional involvement in my interactions with them, and other people as well. And I will be hurt when people are being needlessly mean to me or my friends. But I try to reason and not get carried away with flames.

Irl, I'm utterly convinced no one is ever intentionally annoying and mean, it's usually a matter of not seeing things from the other person's prespective. Online.. I'm not so sure. There seems to be plenty of people who enjoy upsetting other and hurt them. I wonder if they do that to their neighbours too?

I don't think I had a point with this post, just some of my thoughts on internet drama. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://aldriona.deviantart.com
munechi

Number of posts : 434
Registration date : 2008-05-27

PostSubject: Re: Are roleplayers just over-emotional? (emo)   Are roleplayers just over-emotional? (emo) EmptyTue Feb 23, 2010 4:57 pm

Sometimes internet dramas are fun to watch Smile

As long as they don't have a 13 page thread with 50% super big posts (other 50% would probably be troll posts Razz)

To be honest, I sometimes had to laugh at the drama caused by the second RotP Razz (probably because of all the seriousness mixed with the cause being very silly)
Back to top Go down
torgadon

torgadon

Number of posts : 314
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Are roleplayers just over-emotional? (emo)   Are roleplayers just over-emotional? (emo) EmptyTue Feb 23, 2010 4:58 pm

I be in too good a mood and too lighthearted too even bother with drama, and when i see it I just try to change the subject Smile
Back to top Go down
Katalmach

Katalmach

Number of posts : 137
Registration date : 2009-01-31

PostSubject: Re: Are roleplayers just over-emotional? (emo)   Are roleplayers just over-emotional? (emo) EmptyWed Feb 24, 2010 9:48 am

lol @ a certain moronic signature

on topic, yes
Back to top Go down
Nerissa

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2008-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Are roleplayers just over-emotional? (emo)   Are roleplayers just over-emotional? (emo) EmptyWed Feb 24, 2010 11:16 am

Are roleplayers over-emotional?

No. In my opinion, our emotional levels are perfectly normal. It's the lack of empathy shown by the average anonymity-emboldened MMO player that concerns me. People are far nastier from the safety of their PC monitors than they'd ever have the balls to be face-to-face.

The SSL RP community is a pretty close-knit one, as internet groups go - many of us have met in RL, or chat regularly on voice comms. We're like the regulars at a village pub. We don't always see eye-to-eye, we sometimes have our tiffs and feuds, but on the whole we get along. And this might be intimidating to a new person who has just moved into the village, to enter this pub and see us all shooting the shit with each other. We can sometimes be too wrapped up in our own affairs to offer more than a polite welcome at first. But with a little friendliness and patience the newbie can soon find himself welcomed as another one of the regulars.

Trolling us is like someone coming into this pub, shoving over the chairs and tipping a pint over one of the regulars. We don't want a fight, we don't crave the excitement of a good bar-brawl like they seem to think, we mostly just want to do our thing and enjoy our lager shandies. But that doesn't mean we're gonna just sit and watch out-of-towners get in our friends' faces. Of course we're gonna defend each other.
Back to top Go down
torgadon

torgadon

Number of posts : 314
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Are roleplayers just over-emotional? (emo)   Are roleplayers just over-emotional? (emo) EmptyWed Feb 24, 2010 11:21 am

yeah, i think what nerissa said sums it up tbh =)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Are roleplayers just over-emotional? (emo)   Are roleplayers just over-emotional? (emo) EmptyWed Feb 24, 2010 12:16 pm

Are roleplayers over-emotional?

In short: Yes.

In long: Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees.
Back to top Go down
Quintilius

Quintilius

Number of posts : 735
Registration date : 2008-07-08

PostSubject: Re: Are roleplayers just over-emotional? (emo)   Are roleplayers just over-emotional? (emo) EmptyWed Feb 24, 2010 12:30 pm

They are also weird.
Back to top Go down
Akaula

Akaula

Number of posts : 88
Registration date : 2009-09-21

PostSubject: Re: Are roleplayers just over-emotional? (emo)   Are roleplayers just over-emotional? (emo) EmptyWed Feb 24, 2010 1:22 pm

Unfortunately I think this over emotional need for drama IS a roleplayer thing. I used to mod a horror movie website with well over 1000 members (Diabolical Dominion) and not once did the level of drama escalate to how much I see not only on WoW forums but on rp forums as a whole, and I assure you we film geeks are incredibly pretentious passionate people.

I think it all boils down to power trips; You've got a bunch of people pretending to be overly strong fighters and for some people it will be the only thing that they have any feeling of empowerment with. Rob a bit of that and they'll bite your cyber hand off.

This obviously isn't the be all and end all into the roleplayer condition but it's a. Start and I'm waiting for a bus and my fingers are cold.

flower
Back to top Go down
http://twitter.com/GhastlyMcNasty
Quintilius

Quintilius

Number of posts : 735
Registration date : 2008-07-08

PostSubject: Re: Are roleplayers just over-emotional? (emo)   Are roleplayers just over-emotional? (emo) EmptyWed Feb 24, 2010 1:37 pm

The drama seem only to occur within the most eager of RP circles though.

I mean.. Truly roleplayers are a weird breed of people. Here we are, enjoying a past-time where we project our ideals of either good or bad into fictional characters which we prance around, pretending to be real. We pretend they have feelings, their own way of behaving and almost every roleplayer have a secret wish of having their character give a lasting impression on other chracters/roleplayers.

We disconnect from the real world and leap into a fictional one, trying to improve characters which is not your real one. And some disconnect to such a degree that the fictional world becomes more interesting, more real and whenever something disrupts this bubble world some people tend to get rather fired up about it.

My thoughts are that if you go beyond casual roleplay for fun and delve deep into the hardcore world of roleplay, where your characters day become much more interesting than your own, weeell... you probably have shit in your real life you need to sort out. I sure as hell know that was the case for me, and I suspect alot of others.

Meh, I kinda lost my own train of thought here, but we are doing a weird thing and most of us are weird and thus we ain't allways ideal in our way of communication... so yes.. Roleplayers make drama happen!

But also pvp'ers.

And PVE'ers..

wait..

ALL World of Warcraft players are weird!

No wait..

All world of warcraft players who are active on the forums are weird.

So.. Be square and play WoW casually and do not, never ever, engage in any of the etached online communities.

It's just a bunch of weirdos.
Back to top Go down
munechi

Number of posts : 434
Registration date : 2008-05-27

PostSubject: Re: Are roleplayers just over-emotional? (emo)   Are roleplayers just over-emotional? (emo) EmptyWed Feb 24, 2010 3:56 pm

Katalmach wrote:
lol @ a certain moronic signature

on topic, yes

Soz, couldn't resist when I read that post D:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Are roleplayers just over-emotional? (emo)   Are roleplayers just over-emotional? (emo) Empty

Back to top Go down

Are roleplayers just over-emotional? (emo)
Page 1 of 1