We Are Legion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

We Are Legion

The Scarshield Legion Retirement Home

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Yes, it's depressingly official...

Go down 
+5
Ryleen
Vypra
torgadon
Leaf
Vexacus
9 posters
AuthorMessage

Yes, it's depressingly official... Empty
PostSubject: Yes, it's depressingly official...   Yes, it's depressingly official... EmptyFri Nov 20, 2009 10:30 am

...the Christmas season is now upon us!

Just seconds ago I saw my first Coca Cola Christmas advert of the season.

IT'S TOO BLOODY EARLY!
Back to top Go down
Vexacus

Vexacus

Number of posts : 881
Registration date : 2008-05-27

PostSubject: Re: Yes, it's depressingly official...   Yes, it's depressingly official... EmptyFri Nov 20, 2009 10:40 am

Have you not watched TV for a while, this has been going on for a couple of weeks already it seems.

And besides, worst are all the fucking aftershave and perfume adverts. Seriously, these people need to piss off. I think I'm going to launch my own brand called SHIT FOR MEN... smell like a real man, not a woman.
Back to top Go down
Leaf

Leaf

Number of posts : 857
Registration date : 2008-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Yes, it's depressingly official...   Yes, it's depressingly official... EmptyFri Nov 20, 2009 10:55 am

Meh, Christmas is Christmas. If you let it get to you, it will. For me it's just a nice opportunity to meet with family and eat a lot of good food.

It's a pleasant time. Nothing about Christmas time, or Christmas in general, makes me feel bad. Not even that commercials and such come extremely early.
Back to top Go down
torgadon

torgadon

Number of posts : 314
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Yes, it's depressingly official...   Yes, it's depressingly official... EmptyFri Nov 20, 2009 10:57 am

Christmas is win, just cause there is holidays Very Happy
Though one type of ad's hate, damn car ad's. grrrrrrrrrrr each time you go to the cinema they spam them instead of actual movie ad's. I feel like i want to throttle someone each time i watch them
Back to top Go down
Vypra
Admin
Vypra

Number of posts : 2810
Registration date : 2008-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Yes, it's depressingly official...   Yes, it's depressingly official... EmptyFri Nov 20, 2009 11:10 am

It's not so much that i don't like the season (although i prefer to celebrate Yule rather than Christmas) its the fact the buggers start ramming it down our throats in mid-november!

Just leave it until December at least!!!
Back to top Go down
https://wearelegion.forumakers.com

PostSubject: Re: Yes, it's depressingly official...   Yes, it's depressingly official... EmptyFri Nov 20, 2009 11:17 am

Vypra wrote:
It's not so much that i don't like the season (although i prefer to celebrate Yule rather than Christmas) its the fact the buggers start ramming it down our throats in mid-november!

Just leave it until December at least!!!

This!

What's even more depressing is that shops have their Christmas planning meetings in March!

But in reply to Tony, I have no problem with that actual season of Christmas, it's just that the real season and the official season are very different beings. OC (official Christmas) ends on Christmas Eve, sometimes even a few days before that, and turns into New Year stuff whereas real Christmas starts on December 1st (unless you are an Anglican or Catholic, and possibly Orthodox, in which case it starts with Advent) and carries on to New Year's Day. OC sucks balls!
Back to top Go down
Ryleen

Ryleen

Number of posts : 762
Registration date : 2008-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Yes, it's depressingly official...   Yes, it's depressingly official... EmptyFri Nov 20, 2009 11:59 am

I love christmas. And there's one reason I'm happy that the season starts so early. One of my favourite things is everyone putting up lights on their houses, and christmas trees with lights in the yard. I don't know about most of you people, but northern sweden where I grow up gets dark during winter. Like.. maybe a little bit of daylight at lunch and then blackness. All those pretty lights make a huge difference. Smile

Then of course I love making/finding presents for people. And it's a great excuse to cook candy and bake cookies. Smile And decorations, of course *is in love with tinsel and little angels*

But I do agree that before december is too early. A little bit can be good, in case you want to buy stuff to put up at the first of advent.. But halloween pumpkins sharing shelves with santas is too much.
Back to top Go down
http://aldriona.deviantart.com
Snicka

Snicka

Number of posts : 1229

PostSubject: Re: Yes, it's depressingly official...   Yes, it's depressingly official... EmptyFri Nov 20, 2009 12:32 pm

Back to top Go down
Tavecy

Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2008-10-30

PostSubject: Re: Yes, it's depressingly official...   Yes, it's depressingly official... EmptyFri Nov 20, 2009 1:39 pm

I love christmas and one thing I have no problem starting early with is Julmust (the other swedes here knows what it is).
Back to top Go down
Lyranne

Lyranne

Number of posts : 329

PostSubject: Re: Yes, it's depressingly official...   Yes, it's depressingly official... EmptyFri Nov 20, 2009 3:44 pm

There's a brilliant throwaway line in Mallreats about the Easter Bunny stand. Asking where it is, the other character responds about it being up since a week after Christmas. As bad as Christmas being pushed early is, you can see Easter eggs and various other things several months before the date.

I tend not to have much to do with any festive holidays as excluding the fact I'm not even a pagan, let alone a part of any modern theology, I also prefer to put effort into friends birthdays so that the day feels special to them. Even buying a nice gift for Christmas can't compare to getting a nice gift on their birthday. That being said, I am not anti-Christmas. Just don't expect me to yell "Merry Christmas" Razz
Back to top Go down
Tavecy

Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2008-10-30

PostSubject: Re: Yes, it's depressingly official...   Yes, it's depressingly official... EmptyFri Nov 20, 2009 3:54 pm

christmas has no religious meaning at all for me.
Just a sucker for all the corny movies, music, presents,food and the general atmosphere.
Back to top Go down
Chassandra

Number of posts : 199
Registration date : 2008-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Yes, it's depressingly official...   Yes, it's depressingly official... EmptyFri Nov 20, 2009 3:57 pm

Christmas is good because I get a valid reason to give things to people I like (such as sexy underwear to all my wonderful female friends).
...I didn't write that out, did I?

I sorta agree with Ryleen, but then I'm also from darkern Sweden. But the lights ain't what I enjoy the most... it's the snow that brighten everything up. That don't start early though Sad I mean snow, not sleet!

...but I puke on the awful christmas music in the shops. THAT is enviromental pollusion and should be forbidden in law, punishable by public spanking!
Back to top Go down
Ryleen

Ryleen

Number of posts : 762
Registration date : 2008-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Yes, it's depressingly official...   Yes, it's depressingly official... EmptyFri Nov 20, 2009 4:02 pm

Yeah, christmas is a chance to get a break from the darkest and most depressing time of year. Lights, pretty decorations, good food, candy, spending time with friends and family. All good, no matter what the name of the holiday. Smile

(And I agree about the julmust, Benton! Imagine my joy when I learned that the store I go to here in Uppsala sells Zeunert's julmust!)
Back to top Go down
http://aldriona.deviantart.com

PostSubject: Re: Yes, it's depressingly official...   Yes, it's depressingly official... EmptyFri Nov 20, 2009 4:32 pm

I think that if I were in a place where there was snow I might be less inclined to rage against commercial Christmas, but to be taunted with images of the stuff that hasn't settled on Christmas Day in this country for decades really gets my goat!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Yes, it's depressingly official...   Yes, it's depressingly official... Empty

Back to top Go down

Yes, it's depressingly official...
Page 1 of 1