We Are Legion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

We Are Legion

The Scarshield Legion Retirement Home

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

whats all the stuff about little big planet

Go down 
+2
Emanee
munechi
6 posters
AuthorMessage
munechi

Number of posts : 434
Registration date : 2008-05-27

whats all the stuff about little big planet Empty
PostSubject: whats all the stuff about little big planet   whats all the stuff about little big planet EmptyThu Apr 02, 2009 2:39 pm

i constantly hear how good and awesome LBP is with its super awesome and unique map editor.

warcraft 3 had a powerful map editor and now got about every genre (even 2D games somehow :O)

whats so new about little big planet?
Back to top Go down
Emanee

Emanee

Number of posts : 507
Registration date : 2008-06-23

PostSubject: Re: whats all the stuff about little big planet   whats all the stuff about little big planet EmptyThu Apr 02, 2009 6:19 pm

I'll tell you next week after I've spent a few days fighting with the swedish in-game instructions.

LBP is awesome since you're a little 3D sackboy (or girl) that you can customise and run around a predominantly 2D world ala Mario... some things you can grab onto (including each other- you can also bitchslap each other!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZYtGWk3JUM 2:02 into this video.

with of course lots of shite that kills you!

Looking at the player made maps, there's a *lot* of customisability in your world, and thats probably what people are on about- I've only completed the game so far so were trying to co-op with the other half and not kill him (since you're both on the same screen- like mario)

it also goes up to 4 player and you can play online Wink
Back to top Go down
Emanee

Emanee

PostSubject: Re: whats all the stuff about little big planet   whats all the stuff about little big planet EmptyThu Apr 02, 2009 6:31 pm

Back to top Go down
munechi

PostSubject: Re: whats all the stuff about little big planet   whats all the stuff about little big planet EmptyThu Apr 02, 2009 6:33 pm

i know what it is and that you can make maps for it.

but everyone is is acting like its something unique that has never been done before.
Back to top Go down
Emanee

Emanee

PostSubject: Re: whats all the stuff about little big planet   whats all the stuff about little big planet EmptyThu Apr 02, 2009 8:08 pm

It's got the cute factor I guess?

And I suspect opens up the map building to the more mainstream market rather than us geeks on our pcs Smile
Back to top Go down
munechi

PostSubject: Re: whats all the stuff about little big planet   whats all the stuff about little big planet EmptyThu Apr 02, 2009 8:20 pm

with a bit of practice a custom map with (basic) triggers isnt that hard to make.

also with WC3 its possible to add models , create your own heros/abbileties/items/units/buildings and you can controll more units which i guess isnt possible with LBP (not sure)
Back to top Go down
Leaf

Leaf

Number of posts : 857
Registration date : 2008-06-26

PostSubject: Re: whats all the stuff about little big planet   whats all the stuff about little big planet EmptyThu Apr 02, 2009 8:29 pm

It's a bit much to compare this game to WCIII to be honest.
Back to top Go down
Emanee

Emanee

PostSubject: Re: whats all the stuff about little big planet   whats all the stuff about little big planet EmptyThu Apr 02, 2009 9:09 pm

munechi wrote:
with a bit of practice a custom map with (basic) triggers isnt that hard to make.

also with WC3 its possible to add models , create your own heros/abbileties/items/units/buildings and you can controll more units which i guess isnt possible with LBP (not sure)

Yea, but I suspect making little big planet maps appeals more to the mainstream than a WC3 map, and is a wee bit more up to date graphically.
Back to top Go down
Feronius

Feronius

Number of posts : 281
Registration date : 2008-06-05

PostSubject: Re: whats all the stuff about little big planet   whats all the stuff about little big planet EmptyFri Apr 03, 2009 9:58 am

It's a totally different perspective. And the game-mechanics are very different..
It's like comparing the levelbuilder of an FPS to that of a turn-based strategy game
Back to top Go down
munechi

PostSubject: Re: whats all the stuff about little big planet   whats all the stuff about little big planet EmptyFri Apr 03, 2009 1:33 pm

im trying to say that i dont understand whats so new about LBPs map editor while it has been done before.
Back to top Go down
Adalan

Adalan

Number of posts : 255
Registration date : 2009-01-16

PostSubject: Re: whats all the stuff about little big planet   whats all the stuff about little big planet EmptyFri Apr 03, 2009 1:59 pm

Well, you're designing the look, function and mechanics of the whole thing through an in-built editor, while WC3 was just about the level layout.
Back to top Go down
Feronius

Feronius

PostSubject: Re: whats all the stuff about little big planet   whats all the stuff about little big planet EmptyFri Apr 03, 2009 2:35 pm

It's more of the total experience of making a mario-type level yourself and puzzling to reach the end in numerous with a group of friends and often by teamwork. And you can basicly recreate any object in LBP-style Very Happy haven't played it myself tough..
Back to top Go down
munechi

PostSubject: Re: whats all the stuff about little big planet   whats all the stuff about little big planet EmptyFri Apr 03, 2009 9:34 pm

Adalan wrote:
Well, you're designing the look, function and mechanics of the whole thing through an in-built editor, while WC3 was just about the level layout.

in WC3 you could create the mechanics yourself too, not just the terrain.
Back to top Go down
Snicka

Snicka

Number of posts : 1229

PostSubject: Re: whats all the stuff about little big planet   whats all the stuff about little big planet EmptyFri Apr 03, 2009 9:37 pm

munechi wrote:
Adalan wrote:

in WC3 you could create the mechanics yourself too, not just the terrain.

Yeah, the games created in WC3 are of very different mechanics... compare Defense of the Ancients to Risk Devolution, Uther Party to any kind of Tower Defense... all very different, and all nothing to do with the original game mechanics.
Back to top Go down
Leaf

Leaf

Number of posts : 857
Registration date : 2008-06-26

PostSubject: Re: whats all the stuff about little big planet   whats all the stuff about little big planet EmptySat Apr 04, 2009 3:03 pm

*facepalms*

It's two different games, stop comparing their map/level design because they will not be fairly comparative. Just like the level builder for Neverwinter Nights won't be comparable with this game. They are all different genres even.
Back to top Go down
Feronius

Feronius

PostSubject: Re: whats all the stuff about little big planet   whats all the stuff about little big planet EmptySat Apr 04, 2009 10:39 pm

yeah.. but the creater of this topic is part of his own "special" genre to Razz
Back to top Go down
munechi

PostSubject: Re: whats all the stuff about little big planet   whats all the stuff about little big planet EmptySun Apr 05, 2009 9:16 am

Feronius wrote:
yeah.. but the creater of this topic is part of his own "special" genre to Razz

yeah
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: whats all the stuff about little big planet   whats all the stuff about little big planet Empty

Back to top Go down

whats all the stuff about little big planet
Page 1 of 1