I just wanted to share a little something to anyone who might be interested. I've been a honored member of WoW-Pro.com since 2,5 years now and we've been full on work on a little AddOn that can very well be the best thing to ever hit my Interface folder. The foundations for the AddOn is an in-game leveling guide that will, together with TomTom, point you in the right direction. However, we write our guides not only to speed up leveling, but to lead the player on the quickest way to every
quest in the zone of choice. The AddOn does not only give examples of which quests to take and where to do them, but also tips on how to best do them and how to prepare for tricky encounters.
We're working hard on the Cataclysm guides at the moment and not all of them are complete. However, you can try it out and help with the bug testing.
- Quote :
Automatic detection of objective completion:
* Detect quest accept, completion and turn-in
* Detect travel (in any form)
* Detection of flight point discovery
* Detection of Hearth point change
* Conditionals based on player's class, race, completed quests, and item possession
Completely customizable frame:
* Size can be changed to display many steps or only one
* Step explanations can be displayed always or only show on hover over
* Text can be customized: font, color, and size can be changed
* Spacing and padding of the guide window can be customized.
* Border and background texture can be changed or removed
* Background color can be changed
* Titlebar displaying zone and progress can be removed
Other awesome features:
* Integrated quest tracker (can be disabled if desired)
* Integrated quest item buttons
* Easily accessed view of entire guide
* Sortable guide lists
* Automatic mapping of coordinates with TomTom
* LDB quick open/close button
* Profile management for display settings
* Supports step skipping (the guide knows the difference between a skipped step and a completed step)
You can visit the original post for a full download here: http://wow-pro.com/wowpro_addon
I've been using these guides for years now - even before I started writing my own - and noticed that they are very useful when leveling up alts etc. Sure, the game can play itself for you a little since you can easily use nothing but the AddOn's guidelines and dash through the levels. However, I tend to use the guide to make sure that I experience every once out of the zones to not miss any awesome lore moments. The Wrath of the Lich King guides were tunes to all lead up to the quest eachievement, tell you when you can pick up dungeon quests and give useful tips on how to handle the elite mob encounters.
We're also expanding the guide to more areas at the moment. We have a Recorder AddOn complete that you can use to make your own leveling guides. You just open up a char, click the tab New, fill in the forms and then start playing while the game records your actions. Then you have a nice document of all your steps with quests, NPCs, kills, dings etc and coordinates to go with it. You can also add notes to different steps in case you need to elaborate something to the player. Once you save the guide, you can load it up on an alt and you'll see the steps informing you what to do and how to do it.
Something I look forward to are the WoW-Pro Profession and Reputation guides. I tend to suck at leveling up my crafting skills. Soon we'll have an AddOn telling you what reagents to go for and what not to go for to level up your profession as quickly and as cheaply as possible.
All in all, good stuff. You can also watch the old fashioned text guides on the site.
If you want to see the guide in action and learn more about it, you can watch Jiyambi's (admin on the site) YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Jiyambiful