View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Opathu

Number of posts : 1047
Registration date : 2008-06-17

PostSubject: BBC on Private Servers ... by Opathu   Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:22 am

Hi folks,

I have a new piece out today on the BBC website, all about private servers. Thanks to everyone involved for helping me. Obviously space meant I couldn't include all -- and I had to (sadly) cut all the detailed info about how you make one!! (or get legal problems) -- but I hope it still makes for an interesting little read.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8393770.stm

The Epilogue private server recently closed down

Quote :
The closed world of private games servers

By Nick Ryan

For legions of gamers, entering Azeroth or the Kingdom of Khanduras is a chance to shake off the rules and conventions of the real world, and immerse themselves in fantasy.

In these mythical lands almost anything goes.

But for a select few, even the freedoms offered by these imaginary worlds are too restrictive.

These gamers turn to the world of the "private server", privately-hosted versions of commercially-available games where the creator's rules no longer apply.
[continues]

For those wondering where I am, I am still "here" but simply busy. I got given a free media account to EVE (space game), so trying that out. I've also been involved in developing the early parts of a feature film or TV series (we're not sure which yet); a new documentary or two; pitching for new business; and gearing up for a dreaded tax return. I'm always busy, and always amazed I live on such crap money Smile

See y'all soon, I hope.

NR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.nickryan.net
Vypra
Admin

Number of posts : 2810
Registration date : 2008-03-10

PostSubject: Re: BBC on Private Servers ... by Opathu   Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:23 am

I'll give that a read as soon as i have a moment Smile

Good luck with the other projects though, it all sounds very exciting...and a lot of work too i guess Wink

Shadowtroll

Number of posts : 1519
Registration date : 2008-05-28

PostSubject: Re: BBC on Private Servers ... by Opathu   Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:27 am

Took my time to read though it, bravo for it, was truly interesting although for me personally nothing newly said Smile

Vypra
Admin

PostSubject: Re: BBC on Private Servers ... by Opathu   Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:54 pm

Good article Nick.

Drawing the parallel between two branches of the entertainment industry's ongoing war aginst piracy should give the un-initiated some insight into the issue.

I have to say that, until Epilogue came along, the idea of even trying out a private server wasn't something that appealed to me. However, S and his team managed to make something that many people were greatly impressed with.

How long before somebody of similar talent, that does have the time and inclination to do this kind of thing for free, actually gets up and offers a viable alternative to the retail version of the game?

munechi

Number of posts : 434
Registration date : 2008-05-27

PostSubject: Re: BBC on Private Servers ... by Opathu   Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:16 pm

Vypra wrote:
How long before somebody of similar talent, that does have the time and inclination to do this kind of thing for free, actually gets up and offers a viable alternative to the retail version of the game?

As said in the article, some people are trying to reopen it Razz

(will take some time tough)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vypra
Admin

PostSubject: Re: BBC on Private Servers ... by Opathu   Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:23 pm

yes, i saw that part. I'm just wondering if said people have the same talent as S.

Can they bring the same kind of people together that created Epilogue in the first place? If so, they could potentially take it much further. If not, it will be just another flash in the pan that people try because they're bored, then go elsewhere.

PostSubject: Re: BBC on Private Servers ... by Opathu   Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:09 pm

Good read, though I think the area that Epilogue highlights (Blizz not doing a good enough job) could have had a bit more done on it as I'd say that it's likely the main cause for a lot of private servers, particularly from an RP perspective.
Not sure I like the inference of the last para though, apparently suggesting that these sorts of things WILL become legal because "everyone does it". Not a particularly strong argument imo.
Back to top Go down
Opathu

PostSubject: Re: BBC on Private Servers ... by Opathu   Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:33 pm

Gurfang wrote:
Good read, though I think the area that Epilogue highlights (Blizz not doing a good enough job) could have had a bit more done on it as I'd say that it's likely the main cause for a lot of private servers, particularly from an RP perspective.
Not sure I like the inference of the last para though, apparently suggesting that these sorts of things WILL become legal because "everyone does it". Not a particularly strong argument imo.

1. It's down to space (lack of)

2. It's down to editors (you see the final subbed copy at the last minute, often changed from the original!)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: BBC on Private Servers ... by Opathu   Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:06 am

Opathu wrote:
Gurfang wrote:

1. It's down to space (lack of)

2. It's down to editors (you see the final subbed copy at the last minute, often changed from the original!)

Regarding 1, "a ha!"
Regarding 2, still a worrying statement to make in an article, regardless of who put it in there.
Back to top Go down
Opathu

PostSubject: Re: BBC on Private Servers ... by Opathu   Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:58 am

Well, if it helps Phil, it did have a different ending (some more industry comments etc). But the "no-one cares" is from a young guy who makes private servers. This is exactly the same sort of argument from kids downloading music, books, software whatever. "It's free" "I don't care". Some people have a more nuanced understanding, but kids do not Smile
Back to top Go down
Akaula

Number of posts : 88
Registration date : 2009-09-21

PostSubject: Re: BBC on Private Servers ... by Opathu   Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:28 am

Nice read, although I suppose you're in effect preaching to the choir here Very Happy

From a purely nosey media monkey level; What's your involvement with the film/tv production? I take it if you're putting eggs in both of those baskets your pitching an idea around?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://twitter.com/GhastlyMcNasty
Dascombč

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2008-09-18

PostSubject: Re: BBC on Private Servers ... by Opathu   Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:04 pm

Haha, glad you made such an article Opathu, a top-noch job you did on it...

I didn't believe it at first when someone told me Epilogue got some publicity on a BBC-level, thought they were pulling my leg >.>

Although the realm closed down there are a large amount of us in the progress of starting up a new private server which has merged with another one who has expertise with terrain alteration so it should prove interesting:

http://newrp.phpbb3now.com/

Edit:
Holy sh*t, i just realised you put in a screenshot of a couple of my guildies Razz

Arathius = Iritian
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tyragon Shademourn

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2009-03-09

PostSubject: Re: BBC on Private Servers ... by Opathu   Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:28 pm

Really nice article there, though you made an error with "People trying to reopen it." since the ones from Epilogue working on the new one wants it to have nothing with Epilogue to do but still have ideas from it left. Otherwise I liked it.

It is really a shame to see no big marketing companies trying to build what we RP'ers on private servers want. They might not gain alot from it, but it could be a huge hit if they succeeded wheres things like Epilogue had included. I hope it's just a matter of time until technology has goin so far so you can program NPC's to be way more advanced AI's in MMO's, almost like Conan but able to replace GM's having to build or add things, unless really necessary.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
munechi

Number of posts : 434

PostSubject: Re: BBC on Private Servers ... by Opathu   Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:33 pm

Tyragon Shademourn wrote:
It is really a shame to see no big marketing companies trying to build what we RP'ers on private servers want. They might not gain alot from it, but it could be a huge hit if they succeeded wheres things like Epilogue had included. I hope it's just a matter of time until technology has goin so far so you can program NPC's to be way more advanced AI's in MMO's, almost like Conan but able to replace GM's having to build or add things, unless really necessary.

It isn't made by a big company but there is Mortal Online.

It has many things Epilogue wanted too. (player housing, full pvp, no stupid looking armor,...)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pilus

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2008-05-21

PostSubject: Re: BBC on Private Servers ... by Opathu   Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:26 pm

I like the article. It is really nice work Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Snicka

Number of posts : 1229

PostSubject: Re: BBC on Private Servers ... by Opathu   Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:41 pm

I like that the article looks at the issue of private servers from many perspectives.
I enjoyed it, Nick!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aelhaiarn

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2009-04-03

PostSubject: Re: BBC on Private Servers ... by Opathu   Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:12 pm

Good article, but hey, it was expected. No big news for anyone who has visited a private server, but probably to the larger community.

Epilogue discussion nails it pretty well: a well-represented private server requires so much work, you would need to get paid to do it, and still there would be problems (due to your inability to hire staff of your own). As stated before, Epilogue had its strong points, but they didn't really outweight the downsides to my eye.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Opathu

PostSubject: Re: BBC on Private Servers ... by Opathu   Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:31 pm

Ok fuckbeasts, thanks for the comments and no more "it could have been longer/investigated more/done something it didn't" pl0x Smile Remember this is a limited word space and mass audience, with a limited budget too.

Next piece is going to be looking at the growth in use of virtual currencies. Anyone want to help, please do PM or email me, always appreciated.

Oh and Aelh (I cannot write your name, it's alien to a Brit!) I have several fantasy authors on my close circle list: inc. Joe Abercrombie and MD Lachlan (the new Wolfsangel series out next year).

cheerio ...
Back to top Go down
Aelhaiarn

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2009-04-03

PostSubject: Re: BBC on Private Servers ... by Opathu   Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:07 pm

Quote :
Oh and Aelh (I cannot write your name, it's alien to a Brit!)

Oh, the denial!

Quote :
I have several fantasy authors on my close circle list: inc. Joe Abercrombie and MD Lachlan (the new Wolfsangel series out next year)

You have the same agent (you mentioned something about one earlier) or just drinking buddies?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Opathu

PostSubject: Re: BBC on Private Servers ... by Opathu   Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:25 am

I'm pals of sorts with Lachlan (not his real name) and share the same agent as Abercrombie and some others. Most of them still have 'other' jobs - like journalists, IT work etc - as well as writing fantasy.

Most fantasy IMO is genre-based unoriginal crap, but it seems to have a market. Hence I urge you to sell your soul and churn out more of this stuff, not for Blizzard but yourself. If you get to the stage where you have a few polished chapters, I can't promise anything but I could do my best to introduce you to the guys over here. Maybe it'll help.

Oh, and Stieg Larsson was a mate of mine. Yes, I'm a pathetic name-dropper Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Vexacus

Number of posts : 881

PostSubject: Re: BBC on Private Servers ... by Opathu   Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:21 pm

Oppy, you forgot my name from your list of important people to name drop.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Opathu

PostSubject: Re: BBC on Private Servers ... by Opathu   Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:55 pm

For you, I drop my guts.
Back to top Go down
Vexacus

Number of posts : 881

PostSubject: Re: BBC on Private Servers ... by Opathu   Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:55 pm

Opathu wrote:
For you, I drop my guts.

thanks buddy, I appreciate
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Archnazg

Number of posts : 187
Registration date : 2008-07-15

PostSubject: Re: BBC on Private Servers ... by Opathu   Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:37 am

I do envy you, Opa!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Opathu

PostSubject: Re: BBC on Private Servers ... by Opathu   Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:29 am

Remember, Opa does not exist ... there is only one true lame ass writer, and that's me!

Btw, I recommend the books of Christopher Moore while I am here. His latest, 'Fool', is a very funny re-imagining of King Lear, told from the Fool's point of view. It's bawdy, dirty and drole.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: BBC on Private Servers ... by Opathu   

Back to top Go down

BBC on Private Servers ... by Opathu
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next