We Are Legion

The Scarshield Legion Retirement Home
 
HomePortalCalendarGalleryFAQSearchMemberlistRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Polyphasic sleep, anyone?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Polyphasic sleep, anyone?   Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:28 pm

Ryleen wrote:

I would also like to argue that basing your observations on completely unrelated sleep experiences is ridiculous. I run a controlled and carefully planned schedule. It is in no way the same as simply stopping with sleep.


ok when did i say i had to stop sleeping, other than my nco course, on ops we would sleep just short peiods of time

ok here is an example and i know im right here

take a very fit runner and get him to do what your doing, and then get him to run a race against some one of the same fittness that has rested over 8 hours

i bet that the rested person will not only win but will finish faster, why because his body has not fatigued to the point were he can nopt perform to his fullest.

if you can prove that the person on this sleep thing can do it then hats off to you untill then i hold my judment that is not good for your body or mind
Back to top Go down
Ryleen

avatar

Number of posts : 762
Age : 31
Location : Sweden
Registration date : 2008-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Polyphasic sleep, anyone?   Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:33 pm

If you had taken the time to read about this, as has been suggested before, you would know that this is not recommended for athletes or other people who exercise hard. That kind of physical activity strains your body up to the point where you need rest similarly to an ill person in order to rebuild muscles and so on.

But if we're talking about two regular people, I see no reason for there to be a difference. How do you propose I prove it to you? I'm not myself a physically fit person. And I never was, so no point in blaming it on my sleep. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://aldriona.deviantart.com
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Polyphasic sleep, anyone?   Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:37 pm

what i had to do something every similar to what your doing and had to have the fittness level of athletes so your point there is non void

then get a mate who is about same fitness as you and go for a 1.5 mile run, they will finish faster and will recover faster than you
Back to top Go down
Ryleen

avatar

Number of posts : 762
Age : 31
Location : Sweden
Registration date : 2008-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Polyphasic sleep, anyone?   Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:43 pm

Ha! I don't know if I've ever been able to run for that long without feeling like I was dying.

But since you insist on claiming that what you did was the same, answer me this: Did you calculate your naps to fit to your core sleep? Did you take your naps at exactly the same time, and with healthy intervals throughout the day and every day, for at least three weeks? If not, what you experienced was the same thing that happens to all those people who lack the willpower to get through the apaption period, and judging if a technique is good or not based on data from those who failed to perform it... Well, that sounds silly to me.

Also tell me: Since we've already established that sleep deprivation over long periods of time will harm both your body and mental capabilities; how long do you judge that period of time to be? I would say that no sleep for more than a week will have a severe impact, but now it's been a month already. When do you suggest my body will have had enough and start to feel bad?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://aldriona.deviantart.com
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Polyphasic sleep, anyone?   Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:49 pm

stag list

00.00 - 02.00 op
02.00 - 04.00 rest
04.00 - 06.00 op

i can go on, so yes i had my sleep told to me

as for the problems i can only go by what i have had happen to me, but for on you will look real rough, bags under eyes and the like..

but hay enjoy it if it works for you then go for it, but this has showen me how this rp group just dosnt listen to people who have had similar examples oh well

good luck
Back to top Go down
Ryleen

avatar

Number of posts : 762
Age : 31
Location : Sweden
Registration date : 2008-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Polyphasic sleep, anyone?   Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:57 pm

I do listen to you. But what you're describing sounds nothing like what I'm experiencing, thus my attempts to prove that it's different. Maybe you're jsut for some odd reason incapable of optimizing your sleep? I don't know.

As for looks.. I've gained some weight since starting this, since I added a meal to my day and wasn't smart enough to regulate sizes of meals to go with that.. I'm working on it.

I did in fact go check in a mirror, jsut to make sure I'm telling the truth. I'm currently somewhat rosy cheeked, though I'm naturally rather pale. I can see no dark rings or anything else that looks sickly.


And just to explain why I keep arguing: I feel fine. In fact, I feel better than I ever did. This may be the one best change I've ever done to my life. And you're telling me that I'm not. That I'm actually sleep deprived, suffering and in general hurting myself. This leads to one of two conclusions:

either 1) I'm lying to you. (Why would I do that? Some malicious scheme to make others try this and hurt themselves? World domination? Lulz? Really.. <.< )

or 2) I'm stupid and can't tell the difference between feeling good and feeling bad.

As stated early on in the thread, I have years of experience in sleeping badly, sleeping too little and in general suffering due to sleep. I know what that feels like. This is not it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://aldriona.deviantart.com
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Polyphasic sleep, anyone?   Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:58 pm

Quote :
As stated early on in the thread, I have years of experience in sleeping badly, sleeping too little and in general suffering due to sleep. I know what that feels like. This is not it.

and i dont?
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Polyphasic sleep, anyone?   Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:06 pm



/thread
Back to top Go down
Ryleen

avatar

Number of posts : 762
Age : 31
Location : Sweden
Registration date : 2008-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Polyphasic sleep, anyone?   Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:23 pm

I find it amusing that where I try to spend an entire post explaining my behaviour to avoid misunderstandings, you avoid it and instead make up what seems like an imaginary inslut. But Lion is right, just stop. I know what I'm experiencing and you have no interest in accepting it, we're getting nowhere.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://aldriona.deviantart.com
Feronius

avatar

Number of posts : 281
Age : 27
Registration date : 2008-06-05

PostSubject: Re: Polyphasic sleep, anyone?   Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:54 pm

What a tiring discussion. (get it? Razz )
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ryleen

avatar

Number of posts : 762
Age : 31
Location : Sweden
Registration date : 2008-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Polyphasic sleep, anyone?   Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:00 am

For those interested in updates:

I had to try out moving a nap tonight. Was having dinner with parents, cousins and cousins' parents, and the table was booked for five, so no way was I going to get a nap at six. So I took the nap at four, waking up in time to get to the restaurant. I fell asleep all right, perhaps it took a little while longer than normal, and I felt a little more sleepy when waking up. Around nine-ten in the evening, I did feel pretty tired, but it passed. Now, after the midnight nap, I feel back to normal again.

Conclusion: Everyman is indeed adaptive, and it is possible to make little exceptions like these when needed. Yet another thing making it easier to live with.



((Indeed, Feronius. Very Happy Good thing I don't feel tired very often anymore! ))
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://aldriona.deviantart.com
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Polyphasic sleep, anyone?   Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:24 pm

Here's a little tiny bit of info that I remembered when "weight" was mentioned...

It is scientifically proven that women that sleep for over 8 hours a day are considerably slimmer and their metapolism works a lot faster than those that sleep less than 8 hours...

But hey, not going for or against, just figured you might like to know. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Chowlawu

avatar

Number of posts : 202
Age : 27
Location : Sunny South Africa
Registration date : 2008-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Polyphasic sleep, anyone?   Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:03 pm

I put to you that it's not the sleep that causes the "slim" ness, it could just be that there are lifestyle symptoms that correlate.

Example:

Evidence: When it rains, people are more sad.

Conclusion: Sadness causes rain.

- That's how you're drawing the conclusions.

In that case, I'd think that the extra weight causes the body to require less sleep in order to function as it usually would.

Scientific proof has to be looked at in context.

"Throw the first stone" - Jesus
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Polyphasic sleep, anyone?   Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:19 pm

Chowlawu wrote:
I put to you that it's not the sleep that causes the "slim" ness, it could just be that there are lifestyle symptoms that correlate.

Example:

Evidence: When it rains, people are more sad.

Conclusion: Sadness causes rain.

- That's how you're drawing the conclusions.

In that case, I'd think that the extra weight causes the body to require less sleep in order to function as it usually would.

Scientific proof has to be looked at in context.

"Throw the first stone" - Jesus

how is rain and fat the same?

did i miss a lesson at school or something

that statements makes no sence what so every, what grann said is science what you said is just trolling crap
Back to top Go down
Chowlawu

avatar

Number of posts : 202
Age : 27
Location : Sunny South Africa
Registration date : 2008-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Polyphasic sleep, anyone?   Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:36 pm

Luko wrote:
Chowlawu wrote:
I put to you that it's not the sleep that causes the "slim" ness, it could just be that there are lifestyle symptoms that correlate.

Example:

Evidence: When it rains, people are more sad.

Conclusion: Sadness causes rain.

- That's how you're drawing the conclusions.

In that case, I'd think that the extra weight causes the body to require less sleep in order to function as it usually would.

Scientific proof has to be looked at in context.

"Throw the first stone" - Jesus

how is rain and fat the same?

did i miss a lesson at school or something

that statements makes no sence what so every, what grann said is science what you said is just trolling crap

Did you even read the post? Specifically the word "example" and my explanation as to why Graan's argument might be misinterpereted evidence.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Leaf

avatar

Number of posts : 857
Age : 33
Location : Sweden
Registration date : 2008-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Polyphasic sleep, anyone?   Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:02 pm

Luko wrote:
that statements makes no sence what so every
Irony.


Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Polyphasic sleep, anyone?   Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:50 pm

Leaf wrote:
Luko wrote:
that statements makes no sence what so every
Irony.

*insert image here*

I understood what he said...Minor spelling and grammar is easy to get by. Irony lost.
Back to top Go down
Leaf

avatar

Number of posts : 857
Age : 33
Location : Sweden
Registration date : 2008-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Polyphasic sleep, anyone?   Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:51 pm

And a functioning keyboard and/or working fingers.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Polyphasic sleep, anyone?   Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:53 pm

Seriously Leaf...Going for someones spelling and grammar is low. He could have dyslexia for all you know.
Back to top Go down
Leaf

avatar

Number of posts : 857
Age : 33
Location : Sweden
Registration date : 2008-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Polyphasic sleep, anyone?   Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:20 pm

It's still irony. Y so srs btw? If I had dyslexia I would joke about it all the time. >_>

Anyway... has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

PS. I humbly apologize if my opinion (or something else) may have hurt someone, I love you all.

This post has been edited several times.

Editing the edited edit: I technically didn't say he couldn't spell, i.e. is illiterate, just that his fingers slip a lot or that his keyboard is brooooken. I slip all the time, but I go back and fix it. Maybe he doesn't, innit? :)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Polyphasic sleep, anyone?   Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:13 pm

The way I understood the fact that I posted earlier... is that while asleep, your body burns more food or some-such... hence it prevents as much fat built up -and- it has possitive effects on your metabolism too.

But hey, I'm just saying.
Back to top Go down
Avior

avatar

Number of posts : 275
Age : 27
Registration date : 2009-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Polyphasic sleep, anyone?   Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:39 am

Quote :
Evidence: When it rains, people are more sad.

Conclusion: Sadness causes rain.

- That's how you're drawing the conclusions.
The conclusion in Graan's example is actually "rain causes sadness".
It's obviously wrong (I for one don't feel sad when it rains), but at least the assumption makes sense that way.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Akaula

avatar

Number of posts : 88
Age : 33
Location : Manchester, UK
Registration date : 2009-09-21

PostSubject: Re: Polyphasic sleep, anyone?   Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:23 am

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://twitter.com/GhastlyMcNasty
Vypra
Admin
avatar

Number of posts : 2810
Age : 41
Location : Warrington, UK
Registration date : 2008-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Polyphasic sleep, anyone?   Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:16 am

And now Luko quits the forum Rolling Eyes

Seriously?!

/facepalm

_________________
"We are the ones that want to choose; always want to play but you never want to lose."
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://wearelegion.forumakers.com
Legothom

avatar

Number of posts : 73
Age : 24
Location : London
Registration date : 2009-11-13

PostSubject: Re: Polyphasic sleep, anyone?   Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:03 am

Well, that was entertaining.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Polyphasic sleep, anyone?   

Back to top Go down
 
Polyphasic sleep, anyone?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Similar topics
-
» I have explosive diarrhea and can't sleep.
» I'm going to cry myself to sleep tonight... (9* Nekoht)
» Sleep bombing (can it be done with only two people)?
» The Lady
» Imani's clean sheet.

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
We Are Legion :: Meet & Greet :: Random Carp-
Jump to: