We Are Legion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

We Are Legion

The Scarshield Legion Retirement Home

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Polyphasic sleep, anyone?

Go down 
+15
Opathu
Legothom
Leaf
Chowlawu
Avior
Snicka
torgadon
Taupod
Akaula
Crowley
Vypra
Leamhan
Kerdal
munechi
Ryleen
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Ryleen

Ryleen

Number of posts : 762
Registration date : 2008-05-28

Polyphasic sleep, anyone? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Polyphasic sleep, anyone?   Polyphasic sleep, anyone? - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 16, 2009 8:22 pm

Oh, okay. Smile I was wrong there then. My fault for quoting vaguely remembered sources that may not know all of what they're talking about.
Back to top Go down
http://aldriona.deviantart.com
munechi

Number of posts : 434
Registration date : 2008-05-27

PostSubject: Re: Polyphasic sleep, anyone?   Polyphasic sleep, anyone? - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 16, 2009 8:27 pm

Snicka wrote:
They build a new nest every night; they may take short naps during the day, but they don't build nests for those, so they still have one long sleep during the hours of darkness.

That's the everyman thingy, core sleep + naps.
Back to top Go down
Snicka

Snicka

Number of posts : 1229

PostSubject: Re: Polyphasic sleep, anyone?   Polyphasic sleep, anyone? - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 16, 2009 8:52 pm

munechi wrote:
Snicka wrote:
They build a new nest every night; they may take short naps during the day, but they don't build nests for those, so they still have one long sleep during the hours of darkness.

That's the everyman thingy, core sleep + naps.

Yes, we aren't any different from apes in that after all. monkey
Back to top Go down
Avior

Avior

Number of posts : 275
Registration date : 2009-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Polyphasic sleep, anyone?   Polyphasic sleep, anyone? - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2009 8:40 am

Everything is there for a reason. Brain is something we still know very little of, and messing with its work without knowing should (and will) bring consequences that can be pretty much anything (and not just something you might ever notice).
Back to top Go down
Chowlawu

Chowlawu

Number of posts : 202
Registration date : 2008-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Polyphasic sleep, anyone?   Polyphasic sleep, anyone? - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2009 8:42 am

I was going to take this up, when I realised that I allready get by with four hours sleep >.>
Back to top Go down
Ryleen

Ryleen

PostSubject: Re: Polyphasic sleep, anyone?   Polyphasic sleep, anyone? - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2009 12:22 pm

Today is a wonderful day so far. Wasn't overly tired when I woke up, it took only forty minutes or so to get out of zombie mode. And I woke up on my own a few seconds before the alarm went off on my noon nap, feeling great. I love you
Back to top Go down
torgadon

torgadon

Number of posts : 314
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Polyphasic sleep, anyone?   Polyphasic sleep, anyone? - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2009 1:32 pm

Gurfang wrote:
I thought that this was a new mage spell when I first read the title of the thread - polyphasic sheep!

yeah at the start i thought it said polyplastic sheep X)
Back to top Go down
Vypra
Admin
Vypra

Number of posts : 2810
Registration date : 2008-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Polyphasic sleep, anyone?   Polyphasic sleep, anyone? - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2009 4:14 pm

Avior wrote:
Everything is there for a reason. Brain is something we still know very little of, and messing with its work without knowing should (and will) bring consequences that can be pretty much anything (and not just something you might ever notice).

Humans are one of the most adaptable species on the planet. We've learned to live in all kinds of conditions and climates. Why -should- sleep patterns be exactly the same for all?

Besides, there are all kinds of things that we -know- are bad for us (smoking and eating too much saturated fat are 2 things that spring to mind), yet we still do them so why make a fuss about this when there are no readily forseeable dangers? Wink
Back to top Go down
https://wearelegion.forumakers.com
Avior

Avior

Number of posts : 275
Registration date : 2009-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Polyphasic sleep, anyone?   Polyphasic sleep, anyone? - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2009 6:05 pm

Does knowing or not knowing that smoking kills you actually change the amount of harm done?
You can't just discard something that you think is not necessary and hope that it won't backfire on you. Well, in fact, you can... But personally i wouldn't, and i advise others not to try either.
And yeah, i don't smoke or eat too much saturated fat.
Back to top Go down
Vypra
Admin
Vypra

Number of posts : 2810
Registration date : 2008-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Polyphasic sleep, anyone?   Polyphasic sleep, anyone? - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2009 6:15 pm

Well, the point i'm trying to make is, there's risk inherent in everything that we do. If we simply decided not to do things because they might turn out to be dangerous or unhealthy, we'd never get anywhere.

Edit: and i'm glad you seem to be feeling some benefits already Ry Smile
Back to top Go down
https://wearelegion.forumakers.com
Ryleen

Ryleen

PostSubject: Re: Polyphasic sleep, anyone?   Polyphasic sleep, anyone? - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2009 6:43 pm

Well, it struck back at me for my evening nap.. was really tired before it. But I'm not surprised, since I shouldn't be adapted yet.

And why this arguing about wether it's harmful or not? There are several people who have done this, and gone to see their doctor regularly for the exact reason of finding out if it was harming them or not. And what did they find out? That they were as healthy as ever and that there are no noticeable negative side effects on health whatsoever. Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Polyphasic sleep, anyone?   Polyphasic sleep, anyone? - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2009 7:01 pm

People have smoked for years and died in old age from non-smoking causes. People have also smoked for very few years (comparatively) and ended up riddled with cancer. People are arguing because you can never tell which sort of person you will be and whilst taking risks is not a bad thing, there are some things that aren't worth the risk.
Those advising against it (and I would be one of them) are most likely arguing because they would view the benefits that might be gained by this change do not outweigh the risks that are there to your physical and mental well being.
Back to top Go down
Ryleen

Ryleen

PostSubject: Re: Polyphasic sleep, anyone?   Polyphasic sleep, anyone? - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2009 7:18 pm

But what are those risks you're talking about? What is it you think will happen to you if you'd try it?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Polyphasic sleep, anyone?   Polyphasic sleep, anyone? - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2009 7:43 pm

Sleeping disorders.

To add to Gurfangs comment on smokers, an interesting thing to remember is that young smokers starting out may look fine for a different amount of time depending on person. However as they grow older the negative effects of their habbit start to really show through.

When taking these sort of radical changes to lifestyle, you do have to think about what you are going to be like 10-20 years down the line.
Back to top Go down
Akaula

Akaula

Number of posts : 88
Registration date : 2009-09-21

PostSubject: Re: Polyphasic sleep, anyone?   Polyphasic sleep, anyone? - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2009 9:16 pm

After all this drama I decided to look into trying out this sleeping thing myself. Thankfully I had the aforementioned friend to help guide me in the direction of information most interesting. For the sake of everyones time I will link the most helpful article here. From looking into it, despite every reliable source (including the negative ones) pretty much saying that you at a very low risk of damaging yourself irreparably, I've decided to give it a miss. Mainly for the reasons below:

• The change will not maximize your peak alertness, your average alertness, or minimize the impact of your worst alertness levels.
  • Almost every subject involved in the study of a polyphasic sleep schedule has experienced a reduced creative output
  • Even though it a myth polyphasic sleep only involves REM sleep. The amount of repairing your body can do is limited. This is only a problem if you need keep the psychical benefits of sleep at a maximum; If you are heavily involved in a sport for example.

on the plus side it does offer a lot more waking time; Lot of stuff you can get done when you're not in the land of nod for 8 hours straight.

Its seems like a great idea but I think its usefulness is very much dependent on the individual party. There appears to be no serious negative effect (i.e. it wont give you cancer) but like every good thing there be sacrifices involved. Unfortunately the pros are a little bit lighter than the cons for my lifestyle Smile
Back to top Go down
http://twitter.com/GhastlyMcNasty
Ryleen

Ryleen

PostSubject: Re: Polyphasic sleep, anyone?   Polyphasic sleep, anyone? - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 18, 2009 2:49 am

For the sake of contrast and showing both sides of the matter, I link Puredoxyk's response to the article you linked, Akaula.

http://www.puredoxyk.com/index.php/2006/11/01/an-attack-on-polyphasic-sleep/

I'm still inclined to believe her to be telling the truth. Smile

Random late night side note: Spent the last hour before my core nap baking cupcakes. I need to be physically active for that last hour before 0400, or staying awake gets really difficult after having spent most of the night playing wow. Cupcakes smell delicious. I left them in a basket in the kitchen, with a note saying that people can take one, and wishing them a nice day. Smile I want to imagine it'll make people's mornings a little better to find that when they come for breakfast.
Back to top Go down
torgadon

torgadon

PostSubject: Re: Polyphasic sleep, anyone?   Polyphasic sleep, anyone? - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 18, 2009 10:39 am

Ryleen wrote:

Cupcakes smell delicious. I left them in a basket in the kitchen, with a note saying that people can take one, and wishing them a nice day. Smile I want to imagine it'll make people's mornings a little better to find that when they come for breakfast.

Is ryleen in a super happy jolly good mood? x) lucky people getting cupcakes for breakfast, i wake up and have 10minutes before i gotta leg it to the bus hehe
Back to top Go down
Ryleen

Ryleen

PostSubject: Re: Polyphasic sleep, anyone?   Polyphasic sleep, anyone? - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 18, 2009 10:57 am

I was last night. This morning was awful.. took almost three hours to get out of zombie mode after my core, and I very nearly fell asleep once. But they say the fifth day is the worst, it can only get better now Smile

It's also interesting to note that I'm the most tired before and after my core nap. The little naps are still awesome, and I do feel refreshed and much better after them.
Back to top Go down
torgadon

torgadon

PostSubject: Re: Polyphasic sleep, anyone?   Polyphasic sleep, anyone? - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 18, 2009 11:24 am

on an average school night, i get to sleep at 3-4oclock am, then i wake at around quarter to 8, leaving at ten past 8 ish,school ends 5o clock, i am basicly zombie mode from when i wake til...7o clock , During school it is so hard to stay awake, that why i start buying pepsi and stuff to keep me awake cause theyre fizzy and cold . My sleep patern is so fucked up =(
Back to top Go down
Snicka

Snicka

PostSubject: Re: Polyphasic sleep, anyone?   Polyphasic sleep, anyone? - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 18, 2009 11:56 am

Ryleen wrote:
Random late night side note: Spent the last hour before my core nap baking cupcakes. I need to be physically active for that last hour before 0400, or staying awake gets really difficult after having spent most of the night playing wow. Cupcakes smell delicious. I left them in a basket in the kitchen, with a note saying that people can take one, and wishing them a nice day. Smile I want to imagine it'll make people's mornings a little better to find that when they come for breakfast.

Ryleen, you are like an angel! I can imagine how happy people will be to find those cupcakes.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Polyphasic sleep, anyone?   Polyphasic sleep, anyone? - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 18, 2009 12:50 pm

Bet all the small animals stole them
Back to top Go down
Snicka

Snicka

PostSubject: Re: Polyphasic sleep, anyone?   Polyphasic sleep, anyone? - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 18, 2009 1:00 pm

Liontooth wrote:
Bet all the small animals stole them

Small animals... like these?
Back to top Go down
Crowley

Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2008-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Polyphasic sleep, anyone?   Polyphasic sleep, anyone? - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 18, 2009 1:16 pm

There's a fine line between caution and superstition, and a lot of people's attitudes here seem to be the latter. There's nothing to suggest this could be harmful.

Anyway...still haven't tried it myself, would still like to. The problem is I seem to rely on sleep as a kind of reset button after the day rather than just a necessity. That, and after a long phase of shitty nights I'm currently just too glad to be sleeping at all to want to try anything new out. >.>
Back to top Go down
Ryleen

Ryleen

PostSubject: Re: Polyphasic sleep, anyone?   Polyphasic sleep, anyone? - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 18, 2009 1:57 pm

Uberman was originally invented to help against sleep problems. Smile And it worked, too.
Back to top Go down
Leaf

Leaf

Number of posts : 857
Registration date : 2008-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Polyphasic sleep, anyone?   Polyphasic sleep, anyone? - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 18, 2009 2:43 pm

Snicka wrote:
Ryleen wrote:
Random late night side note: Spent the last hour before my core nap baking cupcakes. I need to be physically active for that last hour before 0400, or staying awake gets really difficult after having spent most of the night playing wow. Cupcakes smell delicious. I left them in a basket in the kitchen, with a note saying that people can take one, and wishing them a nice day. :) I want to imagine it'll make people's mornings a little better to find that when they come for breakfast.

Ryleen, you are like an angel! I can imagine how happy people will be to find those cupcakes.
*pokes Ryleen* Are you an angel? I've heard the deep space pilots talk about them. They live on the moons of Iego, I think. They're the most beautiful creatures in the universe.

^_^
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Polyphasic sleep, anyone?   Polyphasic sleep, anyone? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Polyphasic sleep, anyone?
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
We Are Legion :: Meet & Greet :: Random Carp-
Jump to: