We Are Legion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

We Are Legion

The Scarshield Legion Retirement Home

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Polyphasic sleep, anyone?

Go down 
+15
Opathu
Legothom
Leaf
Chowlawu
Avior
Snicka
torgadon
Taupod
Akaula
Crowley
Vypra
Leamhan
Kerdal
munechi
Ryleen
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
AuthorMessage
Leaf

Leaf

Number of posts : 857
Registration date : 2008-06-26

Polyphasic sleep, anyone? - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Polyphasic sleep, anyone?   Polyphasic sleep, anyone? - Page 5 EmptyMon Dec 14, 2009 12:24 pm

O_o?
Back to top Go down
Snicka

Snicka

Number of posts : 1229
Registration date : 2008-05-27

PostSubject: Re: Polyphasic sleep, anyone?   Polyphasic sleep, anyone? - Page 5 EmptyMon Dec 14, 2009 1:12 pm

Vypra wrote:
And now Luko quits the forum Rolling Eyes

Seriously?!

/facepalm

Oh my... this proves that sometimes the most neutral topics can cause most intense arguing...
But I say: Ryleen is an adult woman, let her decide whatever she wants to do with herself.
Back to top Go down
Siheld

Siheld

Number of posts : 1446
Registration date : 2008-08-17

PostSubject: Re: Polyphasic sleep, anyone?   Polyphasic sleep, anyone? - Page 5 EmptyMon Dec 14, 2009 1:27 pm

Vypra wrote:

Seriously?!

/facepalm

(this post is also ment to show me new avatar)
Back to top Go down
Opathu

Opathu

Number of posts : 1047
Registration date : 2008-06-17

PostSubject: Re: Polyphasic sleep, anyone?   Polyphasic sleep, anyone? - Page 5 EmptyMon Dec 14, 2009 1:35 pm

Well, Phil (Gurfang) emailed me about a week ago to say he had quite WAL and was also quitting his Horde character to go Alliance. No idea why. But .... zzzzzz (I fell asleep. Polyphasic cockblock if you ask me Twisted Evil )
Back to top Go down
http://www.nickryan.net
Chowlawu

Chowlawu

Number of posts : 202
Registration date : 2008-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Polyphasic sleep, anyone?   Polyphasic sleep, anyone? - Page 5 EmptyMon Dec 14, 2009 1:43 pm

Vypra wrote:

Seriously?!

/facepalm

Wait, did I miss something?

Edit:
Oh, right. Account deleted. Never mind
Back to top Go down
Kaylima Shadewood

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2009-11-27

PostSubject: Re: Polyphasic sleep, anyone?   Polyphasic sleep, anyone? - Page 5 EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 1:10 am

In an act of probable madness, I've decided to give this sleeping lurk a go! Wish me luck!!
Back to top Go down
Vypra
Admin
Vypra

Number of posts : 2810
Registration date : 2008-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Polyphasic sleep, anyone?   Polyphasic sleep, anyone? - Page 5 EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 4:38 am

good luck Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://wearelegion.forumakers.com
Kaylima Shadewood

PostSubject: Re: Polyphasic sleep, anyone?   Polyphasic sleep, anyone? - Page 5 EmptyThu Jun 10, 2010 8:02 am

ok, so first "core sleep" done and getting out of bed involved an age old trick of just rolling over until I fell out of bed. hurts a bit but normally gets me up. Two coffees later and I feel human. On reflection starting the system with the core sleeps and not the naps might have been the wrong way to go about it!
Back to top Go down
Ryleen

Ryleen

Number of posts : 762
Registration date : 2008-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Polyphasic sleep, anyone?   Polyphasic sleep, anyone? - Page 5 EmptyFri Jun 11, 2010 6:59 am

There isn't really a good way to start it Smile Starting with your core should make it easier to fall asleep properly once it's time for a nap.

I also suggest you do this:

Get another alarm
A loud one. Preferrably one that takes at least twenty seconds of active work to shut off. I had three alarms, and one of those put in a box with a ribbon tied around it. A push of a button isn't enough to wake you up enough to not just stumble back to bed Smile

Make a list of things to do
You might think that you'll be able to think of things to do once you're there, late late at night and struggling to stay awake. You won't. Write them down. Make two parts of the list. One with things to do when your brain is functioning, and one with those who are mostly physical activity with no thinking needed. I spent at least an hour each night for three weeks scrubbing the kitchen clean. (and thanks to my wonderful neighbours in the corridor, it still never got clean enough for me to run out of things to do! .... <.< )

Learn to go against your instincts
Feeling sleepy and like a comfy chair is the most wonderful thing in the world? That's probably a sign that you should get out in the cold night and run a lap around the house. The more sleepy you are, the more physically active you want to be. But not to the point of making yourself even more tired, of course, but rather just to keep on your feet and keep in motion.

Forget about comfort
Comfort is evil. Comfort means a potentional sleeping place. I sat on my cold floor rather than my desk for weeks, since my chair is too comfy. You may want to give up your bed and find somewhere less comfortable to sleep, to wake up more easily. I picked up the habit of sleeping curled up on my tiny couch. (Now I'm so used to it that it's actually comfortable and I still do it). During the very worst part, I didn't even do that, but slept on the floor.

(These things might sound awful, but it's all temporary. You are after all trying to run down your body to the very bottom, so that you can rebuild a new way of sleeping. It will be absolute torture. But it's so worth it!
Back to top Go down
http://aldriona.deviantart.com
Leamhan

Leamhan

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2009-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Polyphasic sleep, anyone?   Polyphasic sleep, anyone? - Page 5 EmptyFri Jun 11, 2010 9:16 am

It is definitely worth it Smile

Also one point to take in to consideration is food and drink. When the human body do any kinde of rebuilding/reprogramming or similar, will it require not only more energy ... but a balanced one.

I soon found out when I was sin the early stages that if I was not careful with when, how and what I eat or drink in relation to the naps, it would get worse. It still is that way ... but less sensible.

Also ... alcohol is a killer.
The reason is two different things.
1 It dry out the body, and the water balance is even more important wile adjusting your body to this new thing.
2 Wile alcohol is taken care of by the body, it will destroy your deep sleep. It prohibits the brain from getting to the point were it can truly rest. And as you have a much shorter time to get the rest ... it is a killer.
From the point alcohol enters you system it will take 1h per (on average 1,8cl 40% for male, and 1,5cl 40% for female) for the body to handle. After that point the body will need a few sec up till several hours (depending on the amount of alcohol) to recuperate from the poisoning.
Yes alcohol is a poison ... that in the right amount is not dangerous ... but in to big amounts is.

(part of my chef education was how food and beverages influence the body Wink )

I my self still drink alcohol ... but to a polyphasic it is a question of amount and when Smile
Back to top Go down
Ryleen

Ryleen

PostSubject: Re: Polyphasic sleep, anyone?   Polyphasic sleep, anyone? - Page 5 EmptyFri Jun 11, 2010 12:11 pm

And I just realised how scary we might make it sound...

It's awesome that you want to be polyphasic! flower Both for the improvements I'm sure it'll bring to your life when you succeed, as well as the added company on late night vent Wink

What schedule are you planning to use?
Back to top Go down
Kaylima Shadewood

PostSubject: Re: Polyphasic sleep, anyone?   Polyphasic sleep, anyone? - Page 5 EmptyFri Jun 11, 2010 1:40 pm

Currently, I feel perfectly fine. Over slept by half an hour on my core sleep though, but I think I got some sleep on my nap at mid day.

I'm using the 12am nap, 4-7am core sleep, 12pm and 6pm naps. Seems to fit my life the best, may need to change that around a bit but hry, its flexable
Back to top Go down
Leaf

Leaf

PostSubject: Re: Polyphasic sleep, anyone?   Polyphasic sleep, anyone? - Page 5 EmptySat Jun 12, 2010 4:31 pm

Going to try doing this once I get a stable job that I can create the schedule around. :)
Back to top Go down
Leaf

Leaf

PostSubject: Re: Polyphasic sleep, anyone?   Polyphasic sleep, anyone? - Page 5 EmptySun Oct 31, 2010 4:28 am

How's this going for those that did/do it? Updates? Gave it up? If so, why. If not, why not. Etc. etc...
Back to top Go down
Ryleen

Ryleen

PostSubject: Re: Polyphasic sleep, anyone?   Polyphasic sleep, anyone? - Page 5 EmptySun Oct 31, 2010 8:40 am

Still doing it. Smile Two weeks from now, and it will have been a year.

I don't think I could go back to normal sleep and be happy anymore, I'm so used to being able to spend nine hours a day on my hobbies with no bad conscience and plenty of time for school.

It's also nice that my chronic neck and shoulder pains seem to be completely gone. I was in pretty much constant pain, and it turns out it was related to how I slept, not how I sat at the computer.

I will admit that I'm not perfect. I oversleep and mess with my schedule regularly, I end up tired because of it and it's a constant fight to not slip out of it by mistake. But that's me and my lacking discipline. Even with all that, I still stand by it being one of the best life changes I've ever done. Smile
Back to top Go down
Leaf

Leaf

PostSubject: Re: Polyphasic sleep, anyone?   Polyphasic sleep, anyone? - Page 5 EmptyTue Nov 02, 2010 9:20 am

Sweet! Was hoping to get a reply like that.

Can it work with a regular nine-to-five job schedule you think? Been trying to make it work in my head but can't seem to get the naps in evenly enough (theoretically, i.e. still in my head), or am I seeing things too strictly?

I don't have a nine-to-five, but... seeing as I'm actually looking for a full time job, and they very rarely have a gap in the middle of the day, just thought I'd ask if it's plausible to "go Polyphasic". :3
Back to top Go down
Ryleen

Ryleen

PostSubject: Re: Polyphasic sleep, anyone?   Polyphasic sleep, anyone? - Page 5 EmptyTue Nov 02, 2010 4:25 pm

I'd say most jobs have a gap in the middle of the day. Called lunch break. Smile

And I know that at least in sweden most offices have a resting room, that you can use.

I use the resting room at my uni during lunch breaks to get my twenty minutes, and to not come off as too crazy I haven't told them exactly why. Instead I've said that I've ben recommended to nap in the middle of the day to deal with my sleep issues, wich technically is true. Smile
Back to top Go down
Kaz'jo

Kaz'jo

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2010-09-27

PostSubject: Re: Polyphasic sleep, anyone?   Polyphasic sleep, anyone? - Page 5 EmptySun Nov 07, 2010 11:46 am

Advertising myself up: I am trying Polyphasic sleep since about August (correct me if I'm wrong) and it works fairly well, except the fact I still tend to oversleep a hour or two on my core. Getting extra alarms wasn't possible so far, but now I'm working on it.
Thanks goes to Ryleen, for a lot of tips, and Leamhan, for a few harsh comments that kept me from giving up in some certain days Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Polyphasic sleep, anyone?   Polyphasic sleep, anyone? - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

Polyphasic sleep, anyone?
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
We Are Legion :: Meet & Greet :: Random Carp-
Jump to: