We Are Legion

The Scarshield Legion Retirement Home
 
HomePortalCalendarGalleryFAQSearchMemberlistRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 The Thread for all the Shit we just couldn't let go of!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10 ... 15  Next
AuthorMessage
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: The Thread for all the Shit we just couldn't let go of!   Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:30 pm

Luko wrote:
Hinun wrote:
*bump*

Let's see the point about game-mechanics-say vs. lore-says discussed.

your right

some here think that game mechanics out rules lore.. ok whihc means undead using the light

so with this in mind this is what i will rp next

a jedi knight with robes and a lightsaber, because i know i can get the robes and hood and there is a sword that drops in steam vaults that looks like a lightsaber, yes i know there isnt any jedi/sith in wow but hay game mechanices let me to look and play like one so there goes i can rp one..

also game mechanics never let me did so you can also rp your imortal, and ive also killed all the faction leaders, so that makes my dwarf paladin hard as nails and a imba dwarf..

anyone want to prove me wrong feel free, but thats what SOME poeple on this server seem to think

*mubbles undead using the light, grumble grumble*

Nonsensical argument due to the removal of the basic parameters of the lore setting. No offence, but whining like that is just stupid.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: The Thread for all the Shit we just couldn't let go of!   Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:45 pm

Gurfang wrote:


Nonsensical argument due to the removal of the basic parameters of the lore setting. No offence, but whining like that is just stupid.

You mean basic parameters like forsaken using the light?
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: The Thread for all the Shit we just couldn't let go of!   Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:46 pm

As to the thing with priests, in terms of talent spec, could an undead priest use the Discipline spec?

Also, looking to the actual application of healing, can any healing spell that isn't a shadow spell heal a Forsaken/undead?
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: The Thread for all the Shit we just couldn't let go of!   Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:48 pm

Natural healing would be nulled as there is nothing living to regenerate. Spiritual healing *shaman* may work in theory
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: The Thread for all the Shit we just couldn't let go of!   Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:51 pm

Liontooth wrote:
Gurfang wrote:


Nonsensical argument due to the removal of the basic parameters of the lore setting. No offence, but whining like that is just stupid.

You mean basic parameters like forsaken using the light?

No, because that's 2 parts of lore created by Blizz. Bringing in Jedi, for example, is a clash of lore and thus nonsensical.

Now granted, Blizz have created a hypocrisy within their lore, but it's their lore to mess with so who are we to question it?

Simple conclusion is that Blizz couldn't be arsed to create specific classes to the different races due to the extra cash it would require to get it done.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: The Thread for all the Shit we just couldn't let go of!   Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:54 pm

Liontooth wrote:
Natural healing would be nulled as there is nothing living to regenerate. Spiritual healing *shaman* may work in theory

So a DK and Warlock can heal undead (with Deathcoil) and a Shadow Priest can heal undead.

One would also have to question the usefulness of bandages on undead!
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: The Thread for all the Shit we just couldn't let go of!   Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:55 pm

Gurfang wrote:
Liontooth wrote:
Gurfang wrote:


Nonsensical argument due to the removal of the basic parameters of the lore setting. No offence, but whining like that is just stupid.

You mean basic parameters like forsaken using the light?

No, because that's 2 parts of lore created by Blizz. Bringing in Jedi, for example, is a clash of lore and thus nonsensical.

Now granted, Blizz have created a hypocrisy within their lore, but it's their lore to mess with so who are we to question it?

Simple conclusion is that Blizz couldn't be arsed to create specific classes to the different races due to the extra cash it would require to get it done.

Or they deemed it unfair that a race can not be a certain spec because of lore?

Irrelevant of how you twist and turn it...If you ignore lore because of game mechanics then you should not be able to turn your nose up at the above example.
Back to top Go down
Quintilius

avatar

Number of posts : 735
Age : 32
Registration date : 2008-07-08

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for all the Shit we just couldn't let go of!   Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:59 pm

Undeads are healed by necromancy or shadow and also the consumption of biomass. The magic that created them also conserves them in the state they were upon turning undead or else all undeads would'be been nothing but skeletons after a couple of months.

The Forgotten Shadow is a religion, and its priests often were prists of the Holy Light, but upon turning undead and was left behind by the Light and many turned to the Forgotten Shadow. They don't worship any deities as such. They deiety, according to them, is themselves. And through tenacity and cleverness they seek power to "change the universe around them". The ultimate goal for many of them is to ascend into a a true shadow form, beings called shadow ascendants. Shadowpriests are also often called upon to heal and make fixes on the bodies of the Forsaken. They are like the maintanance crew. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Quintilius

avatar

Number of posts : 735
Age : 32
Registration date : 2008-07-08

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for all the Shit we just couldn't let go of!   Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:02 pm

Oh, and Grufang. They tried that in the vanilla beta. Warlocks could indeed heal forsaken with death coil and shadow spells would heal forsaken, but they found it to be very imbalanced in pvp and very hard to balance in pve 5 man groups, so they gave it up and thus forsaken could wield the light in game mechanics.

But the orginal idea was to try to follow lore in mechanics as well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Avior

avatar

Number of posts : 275
Age : 27
Registration date : 2009-02-07

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for all the Shit we just couldn't let go of!   Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:17 pm

Am i right to presume you're dropping the Zeliek discussion just because he's "speshul"?
There are always exceptions to any rule (which is a rule itself... with its own exceptions, of course).
When there's one Holy undead, there can be another one. or even ten, or a hundred. The problem starts when there's suddenly thousands of them.
I'd gladly RP with a Light-wielding Forsaken, just because it's out of the ordinary and would surprise my character and get him interested. But when 1 out of 3 Forsaken i meet can wield the Light... They're just not special anymore. The entire point of making them like this vanishes.
It's only natural that people want to make their character unique... You just have to watch and not overdo it. Just look at all those children of Arthas and Illidan running around Goldshire... I mean, where in the Lore is it stated that Arthas is a virgin? If he doesn't have any known children, it doesn't mean there are none at all. A single man RPing his son in a proper way would be an endless source of RP opportunities, because he would be special. What we have though is hundreds of kids who think that relating their character to a major Lore figure would make them look cool. RPing an exception of any rule is criticized not because the idea itself is bad, but because too many people start their RP experience with it, and do it poorly. .Being special is great, but it's only defined by the majority being considered ordinary.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: The Thread for all the Shit we just couldn't let go of!   Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:47 pm

Liontooth wrote:
Gurfang wrote:
Liontooth wrote:
Gurfang wrote:


Nonsensical argument due to the removal of the basic parameters of the lore setting. No offence, but whining like that is just stupid.

You mean basic parameters like forsaken using the light?

No, because that's 2 parts of lore created by Blizz. Bringing in Jedi, for example, is a clash of lore and thus nonsensical.

Now granted, Blizz have created a hypocrisy within their lore, but it's their lore to mess with so who are we to question it?

Simple conclusion is that Blizz couldn't be arsed to create specific classes to the different races due to the extra cash it would require to get it done.

Or they deemed it unfair that a race can not be a certain spec because of lore?

Irrelevant of how you twist and turn it...If you ignore lore because of game mechanics then you should not be able to turn your nose up at the above example.

If the example ignores the setting of the lore (i.e. The Force does not exist in WoW and neither do Jedi, unlike The Light, Forsaken and Priests) then I'll call it stupid every time.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: The Thread for all the Shit we just couldn't let go of!   Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:49 pm

lol

you taken that post to deep for what i was saying

rp'ers first and for most rule should be lore

not how the game works, by all means roll a undead priest and say he is a shadow priest, but to play that he is a light welder is just lolz

Gurfang my point about the jedi, is true, the game lets me do that, push backs (force push) sprint (force dansh) lighting all game spells that look and play like a jedi would.. the fact blizz but in a sword that does look every much like a lightsaber make it so easy, BUT the lore of the game, as you have said made by blizz doesnt have or every will, have a jedi in it so role playing one would just be the biggest mary sue ever

my point, is that if you rp by what you can do in the game and not what it says in the LORE then is will cause problems and at the very least give a lot of rp'ers on this server a good laugh at you
Back to top Go down
Quintilius

avatar

Number of posts : 735
Age : 32
Registration date : 2008-07-08

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for all the Shit we just couldn't let go of!   Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:58 pm

Allright.


Allright.

I am willing to accept a light wielding Forsaken.

IF

When questioned by my character you will be able to give me a good answer to why exactly you can wield the light when almost no other Forsaken can, why you have not yet been sought out by the light slayers of the Cult of the Forgotten Shadow, what magic created you? (Surely it cannot be death magic or shadow) and why my character shouldn't slay you on the spot for likely being some sort of Light serving insurgent and enemy to the Forsaken faction.

If you can answer that ICly then fine. I will accept it. And if you're character goes *shrugs* "dunno" at least accept that my character willt ry and kill you right there and then for that reason alone, or at least notify the cult of your existence and thus make your existence very dangerous indeed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Avior

avatar

Number of posts : 275
Age : 27
Registration date : 2009-02-07

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for all the Shit we just couldn't let go of!   Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:20 pm

Quintilius wrote:
Allright.


Allright.

I am willing to accept a light wielding Forsaken.

IF

When questioned by my character you will be able to give me a good answer to why exactly you can wield the light when almost no other Forsaken can, why you have not yet been sought out by the light slayers of the Cult of the Forgotten Shadow, what magic created you? (Surely it cannot be death magic or shadow) and why my character shouldn't slay you on the spot for likely being some sort of Light serving insurgent and enemy to the Forsaken faction.

If you can answer that ICly then fine. I will accept it. And if you're character goes *shrugs* "dunno" at least accept that my character willt ry and kill you right there and then for that reason alone, or at least notify the cult of your existence and thus make your existence very dangerous indeed.
I agree to everything except the magic question. If an undead is casting a Holy spell, it doesn't necessary have to disrupt his own animation magic. It's like saying that mages should get their hands burnt when casting a fireball. Then again, look at Zeliek.

Also, this post reminds me of some important note. While you sure want your character to be unique and special, you should always remember that such a character would normally do everything not to stand out. If you're getting asked inconvenient questions regularly, then you're probably doing something wrong. Nevertheless, you should always have the answers ready, regardless of being asked or not.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: The Thread for all the Shit we just couldn't let go of!   Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:09 pm

Luko wrote:
lol

you taken that post to deep for what i was saying

rp'ers first and for most rule should be lore

not how the game works, by all means roll a undead priest and say he is a shadow priest, but to play that he is a light welder is just lolz

Gurfang my point about the jedi, is true, the game lets me do that, push backs (force push) sprint (force dansh) lighting all game spells that look and play like a jedi would.. the fact blizz but in a sword that does look every much like a lightsaber make it so easy, BUT the lore of the game, as you have said made by blizz doesnt have or every will, have a jedi in it so role playing one would just be the biggest mary sue ever

my point, is that if you rp by what you can do in the game and not what it says in the LORE then is will cause problems and at the very least give a lot of rp'ers on this server a good laugh at you

If your point is about the lore on this issue then you're screwed due to the state of the lore around undead wielding The Light. However, your example was still stupid.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: The Thread for all the Shit we just couldn't let go of!   Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:22 pm

Quote :
If your point is about the lore on this issue then you're screwed due to the state of the lore around undead wielding The Light.

I think the lore is pretty clear myself...People just spend too much time trying to justify a chance to be a special snow flake
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: The Thread for all the Shit we just couldn't let go of!   Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:32 pm

Gurfang do you go out of your way to twice poeples posts

my example was yes silly but, only by going with what had been posted before, its an extrem example

you who i throught was a brainy guy cant seem to grasp this

bottom line

LORE = RP
GAME MECH = PVP/RAID

anyone who says they dont have time to read one page of lore on wowwikie, shouldnt be roleplaying, as after five mins of reading txt on the screen would be scewed and lost..
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: The Thread for all the Shit we just couldn't let go of!   Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:06 pm

Luko wrote:
Gurfang do you go out of your way to twice poeples posts

Yes, I clearly spend all my time looking at new and different means for posting twice as many posts as anyone else ever

Luko wrote:
my example was yes silly but, only by going with what had been posted before, its an extrem example

Not silly, stupid. Jedi are not mentioned anywhere in WoW lore, light-wielding undead are. Regardless of whether they are rare or not, they do exist in WoW lore, UNLIKE JEDI YOU NAB!

Luko wrote:
you who i throught was a brainy guy cant seem to grasp this

I'm working on it, fingers crossed this latest hammer bashing will sort out any lasting misunderstanding.

Luko wrote:
bottom line

LORE = RP
GAME MECH = PVP/RAID

Are you sure about that?

Luko wrote:
anyone who says they dont have time to read one page of lore on wowwikie, shouldnt be roleplaying, as after five mins of reading txt on the screen would be scewed and lost..

Now you're being silly
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: The Thread for all the Shit we just couldn't let go of!   Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:07 pm

Liontooth wrote:
Quote :
If your point is about the lore on this issue then you're screwed due to the state of the lore around undead wielding The Light.

I think the lore is pretty clear myself...People just spend too much time trying to justify a chance to be a special snow flake

Lore says that they exist, therefore they exist. Not saying that we should therefore say that everyone should RP a light-wielding Forsaken but to deny their existence seems to be a losing argument.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: The Thread for all the Shit we just couldn't let go of!   Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:15 pm

Gurfang wrote:
Liontooth wrote:
Quote :
If your point is about the lore on this issue then you're screwed due to the state of the lore around undead wielding The Light.

I think the lore is pretty clear myself...People just spend too much time trying to justify a chance to be a special snow flake

Lore says that they exist, therefore they exist. Not saying that we should therefore say that everyone should RP a light-wielding Forsaken but to deny their existence seems to be a losing argument.

If you RP a forsaken, number 1 rule is you can and should not use light...You can argue until you are blue in the face but the fact remains that RPing a light wielding forsaken is indeed a lorelol and belongs with the other half assed RPers in Goldshire.

Also there are no light wielding FORSAKEN in lore...Just one boss mob in Naxx who is a corrupted paladin.

Also here is a thought for you people about this "Blizzard don't care so why should we" attitude...

If they did not care why are they not making forsaken paladins next expansion instead of spending time writing out a story and lore for "sun druids"?
Back to top Go down
Avior

avatar

Number of posts : 275
Age : 27
Registration date : 2009-02-07

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for all the Shit we just couldn't let go of!   Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:20 pm

Liontooth wrote:

If they did not care why are they not making forsaken paladins next expansion instead of spending time writing out a story and lore for "sun druids"?
Define "lore" then. If it's not based on the game, then where does it come from? The books? The comics? RPG rulebook?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: The Thread for all the Shit we just couldn't let go of!   Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:25 pm

Lore is the story behind the game...Which every functioning RPG needs to have. There are many sources that can all be considered canon lore. The comics, for example, are canon lore according to Blizzard themselves. All these things come together to make the lore of the game you play...And at no point has the lore changed to say forsaken are fine with the light anymore. So why try to say otherwise?

I am surprised I had to explain this to be honest...
Back to top Go down
Avior

avatar

Number of posts : 275
Age : 27
Registration date : 2009-02-07

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for all the Shit we just couldn't let go of!   Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:31 pm

Quote :
There are many sources that can all be considered canon lore.
So the comic book is lore, but Naxx isn't? Med'an is fine, and Zeliek isn't?
Haven't you just said that there are many sourses of the lore? So why do you disregard one of them in favor of another?
I think you should sort that out for yourself before attempting to answer a seemingly simple question.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: The Thread for all the Shit we just couldn't let go of!   Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:36 pm

Avior wrote:
Quote :
There are many sources that can all be considered canon lore.
So the comic book is lore, but Naxx isn't? Med'an is fine, and Zeliek isn't?
Haven't you just said that there are many sourses of the lore? So why do you disregard one of them in favor of another?
I think you should sort that out for yourself before attempting to answer a seemingly simple question.

Wow...That was such a poor twist of my posts...

You seem to forget my post about the "special snowflake" for the sake of a story...You also seem to be unable to comprehend that I am not denying he exists...and lastly you are forgetting ZELIEK IS NOT FORSAKEN. I think you should actually read posts before making such comments.

Here is some interesting reading material about a "good" forsaken priest unable to use the light

Quote :

The figure wore the robes of a priest of the Holy Light - not uncommon among the Forsaken, who mocked the order by wearing their garments and allowing the sacred robes to be soiled and tainted by their bloody work. Somehow, Andarin sensed, this figure was different; the robes seemed to be in almost tolerable condition, even if the body wearing them was not.[8] "You wear the robes of a priest, Trevor. Why do you not channel the Light in battle, if you seek redemption?" The priest seemed to wince at that. "While I refuse to wield the shadow, the Light has refused me, or so it seems. And so, I am truly a broken man; I learned to wield spears of Light like Uther's knights did in the Second. Without the Light, I am unarmed and unarmored -- but not entirely helpless, as you see." Andarin couldn't help but feel a little sorry for the fallen priest, if his story was true. Perhaps a man, no matter how virtuous, could not channel holy power while in such a form.
Back to top Go down
Avior

avatar

Number of posts : 275
Age : 27
Registration date : 2009-02-07

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for all the Shit we just couldn't let go of!   Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:07 pm

Being or not being a "snowflake" is irrelevant. What we have is an undead that can use the Light, and that is the Lore. Not just any undead, but a Scourge undead. It is specified that he can do so because of his personal traits, not because he's some special kind of undead. So what makes you think it's impossible for such a man to die to the plague and then be awakened as a Forsaken?

Also, it would be nice of you to specify the origins of the quote, cause it doesn't seem to be canon to me, and, while being quite interesting, it doesn't necessary have to be the only right way to RP a Forsaken priest.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: The Thread for all the Shit we just couldn't let go of!   

Back to top Go down
 
The Thread for all the Shit we just couldn't let go of!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 6 of 15Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10 ... 15  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Best Fight Thread!
» Funny Fights Thread!
» NECA Toy Fair 2011 reveal thread
» Eternal Dream Official "LOL Pictures" Thread
» Minecraft Screenshot Thread

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
We Are Legion :: Meet & Greet :: Random Carp-
Jump to: