View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Siheld

Number of posts : 1446
Registration date : 2008-08-17

PostSubject: Re: RP issues... balance needed.   Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:20 pm

Vexacus wrote:
You wouldn't start arguing at Michael Jackson's funeral would you?

WOULD YOU?!?!?!?!!!

I would

PostSubject: Re: RP issues... balance needed.   Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:28 pm

Vexacus wrote:
I didn't think the people who kicked it off were RPers anymore anyway, being Tee and Swampfae at a guess. If I recall correctly their isn't any love lost between them and HoS.

I came in on an alt just to listen to the event because I was tired and semi /afk, but when I saw the bickering going on I must admit I thought it all a bit lame. I mean the dude had died? You wouldn't start arguing at Michael Jackson's funeral would you?

WOULD YOU?!?!?!?!!!

Ah! Now if it was Tee then I could understand melodrama. After all, she and Quint were the lusty couple for some time and all that (I still have necro on necro images that haunt my dreams after their story in the lead up to Tee taking over ToC!!!) so she'd be perfectly IC to respond violently.

P.S. @ Siheld - LOL!!!
Back to top Go down
Kadris

Number of posts : 126
Registration date : 2008-06-27

PostSubject: Re: RP issues... balance needed.   Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:33 pm

Gurfang wrote:
I refer back to my earlier post:

Gurfang wrote:
Thirdly, people should always be prepared for others to dislike how they behave (both from an IC perspective) and to react accordingly. Simple facts of life are that not everyone will get on. Whilst this might seem a bit off in an RP community, it is the way that things are and actually make for good RP.

I think in this case it is pertinent to the idiot that slapped you.

Agreed,slapping in that situation is way beyond the acceptable level. However, if Arch had done his standard arrogant spiel in someone's face then I'd see no problem with it, so don't write off the slap emote completely.

Ideally, we could now do with the people that felt so offended to post here so we could get their view on things, but my guess is that they probably won't as it sounds like it's the "fair weather" RPers who are involved here.

Last couple of comments:
Speatus - completely agree with the Buffy comment!
Nazrug - lol!!!

No, not at all. However I'm the 'swings her hand out to slap archnazg' kinda girl, so he has the chance to react. i.e. take the hit then respond or otherwise.
The standard slap emote doesn't allow for this so I view it as prp. For the same reason I wouldn't have done 'punches the snotty bloodelf bint in the face' at her (no matter how much I would've liked to). Razz

lol Vex. I don't actually recall us starting the IC bitching session, but hey ho.

Speat - ahah, lol. Thanks for clarifying that.
Shadow - aye. A lamentable fact of life that some need a large dose of Grow the Fuck Up. Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: RP issues... balance needed.   Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:49 pm

Do you remember the name of the "slapper"?
Back to top Go down
Kadris

PostSubject: Re: RP issues... balance needed.   Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:54 pm

Gurfang wrote:
Do you remember the name of the "slapper"?
lol.
I've been reminded it was Walya (I'm crap at remembering names).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Quintilius

Number of posts : 735
Registration date : 2008-07-08

PostSubject: Re: RP issues... balance needed.   Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:56 pm

Quin was so dry humping the lot of you in spiritform.

And go plant "Quins Wood" allready and be a happy family instead the bickering!

Oh, Gurf. You were so fapping to the necro on necro QuinTee action. *fap fap fap fap fap fap*
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kadris

PostSubject: Re: RP issues... balance needed.   Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:58 pm

Quintilius wrote:
Quin was so dry humping the lot of you in spiritform.

And go plant "Quins Wood" allready and be a happy family instead the bickering!

Oh, Gurf. You were so fapping to the necro on necro QuinTee action. *fap fap fap fap fap fap*
Yay! lol Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Opathu

Number of posts : 1047
Registration date : 2008-06-17

PostSubject: Re: RP issues... balance needed.   Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:14 pm

Quint was a fag.

And died screaming like a gurl.

Or some such.

(do I now get a trolling medal?)
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.nickryan.net
Opathu

PostSubject: Re: RP issues... balance needed.   Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:18 pm

*Dons his serious trilby for 10 seconds*

I still don't really understand what this fuss was all about.

And Kadris, was it you coming on all emo in the LFRP channel then? I must admit, it was rather confusing. Not having been at Quint's funeral, all I could read was a rather huffy 'I asked a question, none replied, why do I bother' semi-rant. Now, I rant myself occasionally (usually after a BG) and so am guilty of this myself too. It can be rather ... well, self-defeating.

If people haven't witnessed these events; or simply have different interpretations of how to roleplay; or aren't even that bothered whether something was or was not seriously IC, then they aren't necessarily going to be swayed by arguments/comments made in such a fashion as above.

My advice? All to calm down. Explain slowly. Agree to disagree. And everyone to avoid becoming so emotional: roleplaying in a MMO is way harder than a tabletop. IMO it takes too much concentration ... (been doing it since early 1980s!)

p.s. this doesn't mean that Archie wasn't a tard or Tee didn't act up ...
Back to top Go down
Shadowtroll

Number of posts : 1519
Registration date : 2008-05-28

PostSubject: Re: RP issues... balance needed.   Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:26 pm

Opathu wrote:

And Kadris, was it you coming on all emo in the LFRP channel then? I must admit, it was rather confusing. Not having been at Quint's funeral, all I could read was a rather huffy 'I asked a question, none replied, why do I bother' semi-rant. Now, I rant myself occasionally (usually after a BG) and so am guilty of this myself too. It can be rather ... well, self-defeating.

If people haven't witnessed these events; or simply have different interpretations of how to roleplay; or aren't even that bothered whether something was or was not seriously IC, then they aren't necessarily going to be swayed by arguments/comments made in such a fashion as above.

My advice? All to calm down. Explain slowly. Agree to disagree. And everyone to avoid becoming so emotional: roleplaying in a MMO is way harder than a tabletop. IMO it takes too much concentration ... (been doing it since early 1980s!)

Drugs are bad mmmmkay?

Ryleen

Number of posts : 762

PostSubject: Re: RP issues... balance needed.   Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:41 pm

I wasn't at the funeral (sadly) and probably shouldn't post in here at all.. But as always, I can't help but interfere.

First, even though I made it myself and probably shouldn't promote it like this, I still feel that this little guide pretty much answers Kadris' first questions for rules about proper rp behaviour -> http://aldriona.deviantart.com/art/Ryleen-s-Guide-to-WoW-RP-109248858 (If I understood it right.. that's what you asked for, no?)

Secondly... I'm so sick of how negative everyone is. (incoming-annoyed-and-probably-a-bit-egoistic-and-kinda-off-topic-rant-warning)

I try to put a lot of time into creating rp that everyone can enjoy, even if I've been focusing mainly on building up HoZ since I took over as leader there. When I see something I don't like, I try to fix it. When I noticed myself complaining about how people played their "bad guy" characters badly, I made one of my own to try to do it better. When I felt that we had too few light rp events, I created the Sparrows, and so on.
But lately, I feel that there's been nothing but comments like "Of course it's bad, rp on this server sucks and is doomed!" "I used to like talking to people, but now there's all there new ones so I avoid it" and "No one wants to rp anyway, so I stopped trying".
I mean... seriously!? What's wrong with you? SSL used to be the very best rp server of all. But nothing lasts forever. Of course it wouldn't magically continue like that. But when things get hard, you just give up? I feel tempted to say that if you dislike it all that much, just leave. But at this point it would probably leave the server empty.
And I know. It's their problem, I shouldn't care. But I can't not care about it. A lot of the ones making these comments are rpers I used to look up to, people I consider dear friends. And their attitude makes it very very hard to continue being positive.
I love you people. You're great, and you've done so many great things. But if it keeps up like that all those negative comments will become true. Try to be positive! Try to communicate! If something's wrong fix it, don't just sit around and moan about it!
Yes, it takes time and effort to make good rp. Yes, it's difficult. But this is still something we've all spend many many hours and days on, something we enjoy doing. Otherwise we wouldn't have been here still, we would've left. But you're incapable of putting up the effort to try to make things better both for yourself and others? I shouldn't even have to explain how childish and egoistic that is.
Yes, not all events or ideas turn out great. Yes, not everyone will think the same things are fun. Yes, some times ideas will fail. Does this mean you have to give up? No.

But it does seem like most of you have.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://aldriona.deviantart.com
Siheld

Number of posts : 1446
Registration date : 2008-08-17

PostSubject: Re: RP issues... balance needed.   Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:46 pm

Didn't this happen with Lynnora aswell?
Guys, I'm not the person who has the right to speak here; but Horde seems to be more Drama-queenish then Alliance

Kadris

PostSubject: Re: RP issues... balance needed.   Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:09 pm

Opathu wrote:

Aye, it was me and you're right. I got the strop at the lack of 'constructive' and the over-abundance of 'troll'.

I was annoyed last night, but if you've read all my posts here you'll see that I'm just trying to find out what the issue is, ascertain if there's any validity to it and address the issue or chuck it aside if possible.

All terribly grown up-like.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: RP issues... balance needed.   Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:36 pm

Siheld wrote:
Didn't this happen with Lynnora aswell?
Guys, I'm not the person who has the right to speak here; but Horde seems to be more Drama-queenish then Alliance

That's because the horde have more guilds now (BURN!)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: RP issues... balance needed.   Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:52 pm

Ryleen wrote:
"I used to like talking to people, but now there's all there new ones so I avoid it"

Just in case this was aimed at me, my comment was more of a statement of fact that anything else and certainly not a complaint.
As to the rest of the post, many fair and valid points. However I think that the hub of this thread is about finding out why people refused to talk about an issue in an adult manner and decided to troll instead.
Back to top Go down
Ryleen

Number of posts : 762

PostSubject: Re: RP issues... balance needed.   Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:02 pm

It was not meant to be aimed at anyone in particular, more to try to capture the general attitude among people right now. And I know I went pretty much of topic, it's just that this has been gnawing at me for a while now. I might remove my post later.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://aldriona.deviantart.com

PostSubject: Re: RP issues... balance needed.   Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:18 pm

Ryleen wrote:
It was not meant to be aimed at anyone in particular, more to try to capture the general attitude among people right now. And I know I went pretty much of topic, it's just that this has been gnawing at me for a while now. I might remove my post later.

Don't remove it! Seriously, the more honesty we get posted about these problems the better. The more people say what they feel and stop bottling their frustration up the better the chance we have of dealing with the problems.
Back to top Go down
emil_frojd

Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2008-06-08

PostSubject: Re: RP issues... balance needed.   Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:57 pm

Yes it was I who slapped Archie. But two things about making it prp. One it doesn't change a bit in the power level if you gets slapped or not so no powerleveling there. If you then would meet a girl irl that for no appearant reason just slapps you over the face you don't have a chance to do anything about it.

Secondly I didn't have time to stand around waiting for response since I was on my way to logg off.

I am sorry I should have waited but it was easier to just use the existing emote. Then on the other hand I think it is just petty to think a slap on the face as prp when you don't even respond to be talked at.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kadris

PostSubject: Re: RP issues... balance needed.   Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:30 am

emil_frojd wrote:
Yes it was I who slapped Archie. But two things about making it prp. One it doesn't change a bit in the power level if you gets slapped or not so no powerleveling there. If you then would meet a girl irl that for no appearant reason just slapps you over the face you don't have a chance to do anything about it.

Secondly I didn't have time to stand around waiting for response since I was on my way to logg off.

I am sorry I should have waited but it was easier to just use the existing emote. Then on the other hand I think it is just petty to think a slap on the face as prp when you don't even respond to be talked at.

Ok, so this boils down to 'sorry about the prp, I was in a rush.' Personally, I would've just left if I was in that much of a rush without creating a stand off that could have prolonged the encounter and thus delay my logging, but that's just me.

And it seems a character choosing not to dignify another's words/behaviour with an answer is something you consider a problem oocly? I fail to see how my accusation of prp can be considered petty on those grounds. Either way, thanks for responding, it's gone some of the way to clearing this up (for me).

I guess maybe a vote here on the /slap emote might be in order. If the majority think it's fine, I'll not complain again (despite my opinion of it).

So, that leaves the ooc bitching issue over HoS rp, which I suspect, will never be resolved if no-one will step up and point out what they think is wrong with it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gwenderlin

Number of posts : 159
Registration date : 2008-08-15

PostSubject: Re: RP issues... balance needed.   Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:33 am

'offers Ice cream to everyone' lets all get alone now and enjoy the day ^.^ <3
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kadris

PostSubject: Re: RP issues... balance needed.   Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:41 am

Gwenderlin wrote:
'offers Ice cream to everyone' lets all get alone now and enjoy the day ^.^ <3
...And your opinion on the /slap emote?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gwenderlin

Number of posts : 159
Registration date : 2008-08-15

PostSubject: Re: RP issues... balance needed.   Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:45 am

my opinion on the /slap emote is that it shouldn't be used unless the situation calls for it but then again everyone has hers/his personal opinion on when it should be used. in other words it is only acceptable to slap some one in extreme anger situation where it calls for it. but most of all, I think we should all have ice cream and the worries will melt away liek the ice cream. ^.^ 'hugs all'
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: RP issues... balance needed.   Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:45 am

Kadris wrote:
emil_frojd wrote:

Ok, so this boils down to 'sorry about the prp, I was in a rush.' Personally, I would've just left if I was in that much of a rush without creating a stand off that could have prolonged the encounter and thus delay my logging, but that's just me.

And it seems a character choosing not to dignify another's words/behaviour with an answer is something you consider a problem oocly? I fail to see how my accusation of prp can be considered petty on those grounds. Either way, thanks for responding, it's gone some of the way to clearing this up (for me).

I guess maybe a vote here on the /slap emote might be in order. If the majority think it's fine, I'll not complain again (despite my opinion of it).

So, that leaves the ooc bitching issue over HoS rp, which I suspect, will never be resolved if no-one will step up and point out what they think is wrong with it.

I say no to the "vote about slapping" as it could quite easily end up that people become elitist about it and start moaning at people who use it, telling them they can't RP properly.
Best suggestion is that we agree that the use of all emotes in general are best used in a suitable context but that if people do not like how others use them then they are free to ignore it.

It's like my choice previously (before Gurfang became a DK) to eat the dead. For me, to eat the corpse of a player is not PRP because it is a corpse. However, some people do not agree and so the best thing to do is to ignore it as something that didn't happen in your world.
Back to top Go down
Kadris

PostSubject: Re: RP issues... balance needed.   Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:50 am

Gurfang wrote:

I say no to the "vote about slapping" as it could quite easily end up that people become elitist about it and start moaning at people who use it, telling them they can't RP properly.
Best suggestion is that we agree that the use of all emotes in general are best used in a suitable context but that if people do not like how others use them then they are free to ignore it.

It's like my choice previously (before Gurfang became a DK) to eat the dead. For me, to eat the corpse of a player is not PRP because it is a corpse. However, some people do not agree and so the best thing to do is to ignore it as something that didn't happen in your world.

Hm, yeah. You've got a very good point there. I'll bow to your wisdom on this then. I was just hoping that we could actually act as an rp community and agree to some things. Ideal world and all that.

Cheers Gurf.

I guess that draws this to a close unless anyone else has anything they'd like to add.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Opathu

PostSubject: Re: RP issues... balance needed.   Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:02 am

The best answer to (P)RP you don't like:

Treat the other player (IC) as mad.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: RP issues... balance needed.   

Back to top Go down

RP issues... balance needed.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next