We Are Legion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

We Are Legion

The Scarshield Legion Retirement Home

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Dedication to the Loa - short series

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Vypra
Admin
Vypra

Number of posts : 2810
Registration date : 2008-03-10

Dedication to the Loa - short series Empty
PostSubject: Dedication to the Loa - short series   Dedication to the Loa - short series EmptyWed Apr 01, 2009 9:46 am

(( As i've put a lot of work into both the rituals and the writes ups, i thought i'd share them with a wider audience. The following are the rituals performed by Vypra for 3 members of the Heritage of Zandalar (yes, one of them is my alt chabat...that was an intersting one to do Wink ) to dedicate them to their patron Loa.

This was a concept i came across in a story on the rp forum and decided would make a great tradition for us to adopt too.

It mainly applies to Trolls of course but, as you can see, there is now precedent for other races to take this on should they feel their character has a close affinity with the troll Loa (it would mean adopting the troll way of life so think carefully before you decide to do this as the trolls and their Loa are quite unforgiving of people that slight them...just ask the warsong blades Wink ).

I'm happy to answer any questions people might have so please post away after the stories ... ))

Last edited by Vypra on Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://wearelegion.forumakers.com
Vypra
Admin
Vypra

PostSubject: Re: Dedication to the Loa - short series   Dedication to the Loa - short series EmptyWed Apr 01, 2009 9:47 am

(( Chabat's impressions of her ritual ))

It is dusk and the air is cool as I walk down to the Pools of Vision. Whatever will take place here tonight has already begun. The woman before me is no longer the friend and confidant I have known, here instead stands the shaman. Her mind already shifted to some other realm, she is focused and confident in her power.
She has already arranged a fire and small cauldron hangs over it a shimmering liquid bubbles inside.

As I approach, Vypra throws some herbs into the flames and she leans over to inhale the resulting fumes. She bids me to do the same and I kneel, following her example, drawing the pungent smoke into my lungs. I fight not to cough and I feel a strangeness begin to steal over me.

The mists that fill the cavern shimmer and I begin to see intricate patterns where before there were none. Magic is in the air, almost as tangible as it is in Silvermoon and I feel a sudden longing for that place I where I had studied.

But this is not magic as I know it, this is the Voodoo and I marvel as Vypra revels in it. The wolf spirit, who form she often takes is high in her tonight and her own patron Loa, Shango seems to follow her movements with crackles of static.

She puts her hand into a box beside her and removes some small creature. I try not to look too closely. Some distant part of me feels terrible for the thing, but here and now I know the Loa demand tribute. The shaman takes her knife and swiftly spills bright blood with her fiery blade and a muttered invocation passes her lips.

I briefly hear the voices of my guild mates over the spirit talk but as the animal blood drips into the cauldron it becomes the centre of my world
Dimly I feel Vypra move to my side. As I have been adjusting to this new level of consciousness, she has been busy. Adding the blood to the mixture was just the start and she now dips into the pot and smears some on my wrists and neck and the centre of my forehead. Finally she dabs a small amount on my lips which she then kisses lightly.

Immediately my body begins to tingle as if my skin is too tight. The shaman, who I can no longer continue to see as ‘Vypra’, instructs me to focus all my attention on the bubbling cauldron. As, I lean forward to peer inside she begins a low, constant litany, entreating the Loa to make itself known to me, its new servant.

Steam moistens my face and suddenly, I See…

The plains speed by below me. I spread leathery wings and propel my self through the night. As I fly over the Bluffs I see the cave and swoop down. My unique way a viewing the world allows me to find the two figures in the mist. They are still as stone to my senses until one moves slowly, offering fruit and insects for me to feast on.
Then I take flight again, seeming to hover briefly over the other form which also me

My view shifts again, I am myself but I feel a stranger in my own body, I have very little control and as the shaman rises and begins to dance, I too stand. ‘Now we dance ta da tune o’ da Loa’ she says and I feel drawn to match her movements. We are puppets, our Loa ride us now.
It is ecstasy and terror; I have never felt anything like it before. Hir’eek’s boundless knowledge frightens me but I am hers now and she will give me the strength to follow my path through life.

I do not know how long we danced but when I finally feel alone once more in my head, I drop to my knees with exhaustion. Vypra smiles and kneels before me, pressing a potion into my hand. I drink it down, not caring what it is and some of my strength returns. I realise we are not alone. I turn to see a large cat watching us curiously. It seems familiar to me and I ask it how long it has watched us. Thumping its paw on the mushroom, it tries to communicate without words but my mind is still reeling and I can’t grasp its meaning. It scratches a number 2 in the flesh of the mushroom it sits on and I think I understand now, but hunger wins out over curiosity as I remember I haven’t eaten for over a day.

As I wave farewell to Vypra there is something in her smile that tells me Hir’eek isn’t quite finished with me yet and I feel a thrill of excitement and wonder what will happen next...

Last edited by Vypra on Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Vypra
Admin
Vypra

PostSubject: Re: Dedication to the Loa - short series   Dedication to the Loa - short series EmptyWed Apr 01, 2009 9:47 am

(( Deyyania (also known as Lyranne ) is the Only blood elf, and longest serving non-troll in the Heritage. She and Ryleen declare themselves sisters as, despite have no familail ties, they share a very strong bond. As you will see, they are closer than anyone could have realised...))

Vypra walked into the Ledgermain lounge an ordered a drink. Glancing around she saw a familiar Elf. She smiled as Deyyania greeted her and took a seat.

“Hey dere, just takin’ a li'l nip o' brandy ta warm me up.” The troll swigged back the liquor and grinned as the alcohol spread a warm glow through her.

“I've never really been in to the stronger drinks as such.” Deyy commented, “I've been a bit silly with other types, though.”

Vypra chuckled at the admission “Lucky fo' me I got a strong constitu'shun.”

“I guess so.” Deyyania said. Having dispensed with pleasantries, the elf pressed on “I've been thinking about what we said the other night, and I'm ready whenever you are, really.”

Vypra raised a brow “Well, no sense waitin' aroun'. Ya got a robe or som'tin' suitable fo' dis?”

“I have a thinner robe, yes. It'd certainly be better than this somewhat thick one.”

The troll nodded “Alrigh'. If ya got it wit ya, we can head off now.” She stood as Deyy replied “Sure, I have it with me”

The two headed for the Mage portals and stepped through into the cavern at the Bluffs.

“We can fly out ta Sun Rock, get changed dere an' make our way ta Malaka'jin”

Deyyania nodded and followed the shaman to the flightmaster.

Arriving at the tauren camp, the pair went straight to the inn. Vypra immediately began to remove her armour as she searched her bags for her seldom used robes.

“I'll go get changed upstairs then, okay?” said Deyyania
“Sure ting” replied the troll distractedly.

As soon as they were ready, they set out for the troll’s way post. Malaka’jin was a small, secluded collection of huts and trollish ceremonial artifacts.

As soon as they arrived, Vypra instructed her companion to make herself comfortable and prepare for ritual while she made a small fire. Reaching into a small belt pouch, the Shaman threw a handful of fragrant herbs onto the flames while Deyyania concentrated on her breathing and began to relax.

Next, the troll placed a small round pot next to the fire and poured in a shimmering liquid. Leaving it to warm, she then took a bundle of fragrant herbs and held them to the flames until they begin to smoulder

Walking round Deyy, Vypra wafted the incense and chanted under her breath. Smudging was an important part of the process, purifying the seeker before the communion with the Loa.

Deyyania sat, her eyes closed, breathing slow and deep. Taking position opposite her, the shaman did likewise until she reached the light trance state that would allow her to speak with the spirits.

Her awareness of their presence grew with each breath and when she opened her eyes, the air was filled with shimmering colours. She stood and added more herbs to the fire then watched the intently as the elf continued to breath deeply and slowly, relaxing herself into the trance-state.

With a sudden nod, the shaman moved into position, arms raised in supplication.

“Great Loa Hear me!” she called in her native tongue.
“Spirits an' ancestors hear me!
Come forth an' bless dis rite.”

The was the moment of truth. To her knowledge, this would be the first time any that was not troll kin had sought to become a dedicated servant of the Loa. Would the spirits bless the rite?

Static crackled around her as she raised her power and continued in Orcish
“Elortha No Shadra, bless this child.
Deyyania come before ya, ready fo' ya acceptance an' blessing.”

Familiar feelings of purpose and ecstasy coursed through her, she knew the spirits had answered her call. There was a sense of curiosity but no hostility…a good sign!

Deyy’s breathing slowed almost to a stop as Vypra knelt before her, spell blade at the ready. Taking the elf’s unresisting hand, the shaman pricked the thumb and two fingers. Reaching for the small bowl by the fire, she deftly caught the drops of blood.

Deyy, wincing only slightly, watched as Vypra returned the bowl to the fireside, stirring it three times.

The troll feverishly muttered the invocation “Shadra, I call ya ta bless dis Child, Shadra, I call ya accept she as ya own, Shadra I call ya!”

Returning to her position before the elf, Vypra dipped her finger into the mixture and anointed Deyyania's wrists, throat, forehead and lips with the mixture, sealing the anointing with a kiss.

The shaman felt a thrill of excitement as the Spider spirit appeared. Bowing respectfully, she turned to Deyy and commanded “Repeat my words Deyyania: Shadra, here in dis sacred place, I open masel' ta ya essence.” The Elf nodded composing herself.

Opening her eyes, she looked upon the spider spirit and slowly spoke the words “Shadra, here in this sacred place, I open myself to your essence.”

Vypra continued, “In this place an' time, I am changed. From here I walk a new path, dedicated ta ya.”

Deyy dutifully repeated the words “In this place and time, I am changed. From here I walk a new path, dedicated to you.”

The euphoria slowly subsiding, the troll bowed before the spirit as it faded from view. “From now, until ya join da ancestas in da spirit world, ya be da servant o' Shadra. She powa be yas”. She declared.

Deyy nodded as Vypra completed the ritual and thanked the spirits for their blessing.

“Now, all dat remain be fo' ya ta take da Mark o' Shadra.” She smiled

“I am prepared.” replied the elf with a nod.

“Den lets go sista. Ya shoul' celebrate!”

Last edited by Vypra on Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Vypra
Admin
Vypra

Vypra ran up the track towards the Keel, the ground flying beneath her paws. She relished any excuse to transform and feel the unbridled joy of the Wolf spirit. All too soon, she reached her destination and regretfully shimmered back to troll form.

Mere moments after she arrived, the shaman sensed a familiar presence behind her. Ryleen and Gul’Zayne greeted her as she turned and after exchanging pleasantries, they got to the point…Ryleen was ready to dedicate herself to her patron Loa.

After agreeing that Gul’Zayne would take part in the ritual, the three went to change into more suitable attire. Gul’Zayne in his traditional robes, Ryleen in a lovely robe that she clearly saved for special occasions and Vypra in new robe she had acquired for this very ritual.

Where Deyyania had manifested the softer, darker side of Shadra, Ryleen seemed to have brought forth the bright and more demanding aspect of the spider Loa. It would not do to show any lack of deference and so Vypra had sought this robe of soft silk bearing a spider emblem.

As soon as they were ready, Gul’Zayne led the two females to a nearby tree whose leaves swayed with the whispering of the spirits of the air.

Vypra built a small fire and, as she prepared the bowl that would hold the anointing mixture, Gul’ sprinkled his own mixture of herbs onto the flames. He then handed Ryleen a root to help her consciousness reach the right level for the ritual.

The mage took the root and dutifully chewed as instructed despite looking a little uncertain but Vypra had no time to offer much reassurance, her follow shaman had begun the slow rhythmic humming that would build up to the summoning of the spirits.

Taking her cue from Gul’Zayne, she joined her voice with his and they began to move to the tempo set by his rattle. Soon the two shaman danced in harmony as Ryleen looked on, with some trepidation at first, then slowly, her senses overtaken by the incense and the power being raised, she relaxed into the moment.

Feeling the change, the pair turned towards her. Gul’Zayne continued his dance while lowering the volume of both his humming and the accompanying rattle as Vypra raised her arms in supplication and called forth the Loa and spirits to bless the rite.

As ever, static crackled around Vypra as her own Loa showed his approval. Kneeling before Ryleen, she took the required sacrifice of blood from a swift nick of each finger of the mage’s unresisting hand and mixed it in the small bowl by the fire.

Once the anointing was complete, she stood and charged Ryleen to repeat the words of her dedication.

The mage, her voice quiet at first, then growing stronger, declared her devotion to Loa Shadra and the spirit of the spider manifested itself before them. Vypra smiled as the spirit approached Ryleen and she handed over an offering of dead insects to the mage that she might pass them to the spirit.

Ryleen’s expression was one of awe as the spirit accepted her offering and she watched the spot where it faded from view while the shaman bowed respectfully.
The three trolls then danced in ecstatic celebration of the successful ritual until the spirits released them from their hold.

Despite his recent recovery from severe injury, Gul’Zayne declared that the dancing left him feeling more alive than he had in weeks…if a little sore and soon the plans would be made for Ryleen and Deyyania to complete the last stage of this journey and receive the mark of their Loa; Sisters in truth, in the eyes of the spirits.

(( yes, both Deyy and Ry have been chosen by Shadra, the spider Loa. true to form, they now represent the dual nature of the Loa. One might assume the Loa have plans for this pair Wink ))
Back to top Go down
Vypra
Admin
Vypra

PostSubject: Re: Dedication to the Loa - short series   Dedication to the Loa - short series EmptyWed Apr 01, 2009 10:41 am

reserved
Back to top Go down
Siheld

Siheld

Number of posts : 1446
Registration date : 2008-08-17

PostSubject: Re: Dedication to the Loa - short series   Dedication to the Loa - short series EmptyWed Apr 01, 2009 11:43 am

Oow I like the part of Chabat!
Nice writing style!
Back to top Go down
Vypra
Admin
Vypra

PostSubject: Re: Dedication to the Loa - short series   Dedication to the Loa - short series EmptyWed Apr 01, 2009 12:12 pm

Siheld wrote:
Oow I like the part of Chabat!
Nice writing style!

Thanks Siheld.

Its not a style i usually use so it was something of a challange to write that way.

glad you liked it Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dedication to the Loa - short series   Dedication to the Loa - short series Empty

Back to top Go down

Dedication to the Loa - short series
Page 1 of 1